Mead The Official Mead Thread

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by mjshearer1, Oct 2, 2013.

1. mjshearer1

mjshearer1

Since even breathing the "M" word would get you virtually dick punched at some other places in the interwebs, I'm beyond happy that I can actively discuss meads, as they're a style I'm trying to get more and more into but don't know enough about.

Being a Michigan native, my meads of choice come from B. Nektar. I have not had the opportunity to try any Kuhnhenn meads (or all too many of their beers, for that matter...:oops:) nor do I really know too much about who makes them, what's good and what's garbage.

My favorite overall mead is Zombie Killer. I've also got a bottle of B. Nektar's Zombies Take Manhattan (rye whiskey aged imperial Zombie Killer) and Episode 13 (bourbon barrel mead) in my fridge right now, and also love their Black Fang.

What are your favorites? What should people be checking out? Do you prefer cysers, pyments, or braggots?

EDIT: Also, if anyone can get me a bottle of Dark Dark Goose, (coffee mead aged in spent BCBS barrels) I would love you forever.

2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

See now THIS is a topic I can get behind! Full disclosure I am an admitted mead freak. That said I am also hammered so I prefer to respond when I am below double the legal limit. Instead I will leave this gif in an attempt to express my pleasure at this eventual discussion :

[​IMG]

Sam, vonnegut21, libbey and 5 others like this.
  3. fritts211

fritts211

Going to a mead tasting on Friday, should be fun. Mostly kuhnhenn and some others. My wife loves mead as well, Zombie killer is her favorite too.

Oh, and I really want a bottle of ghost stories from cigar city.

4. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

B nektar's Kill All the Golfers has been my favorite thus far. They should bottle that ASAP.

5. claaark13

claaark13

hasnt dark dark goose seen better days? i shit myself with happiness when i had it fresh, but was told it doesnt age particilarly well. something about something something...i dunno, sometimes i get sidetracked when mongo goes on a mead tangent.

libbey and MordorMongo like this.
  6. claaark13

claaark13

also, the most recent banana french toast was good. some suspicipus bearded man gave me like 4 ounces at dld. what a guy.

backfat, MarkIntihar and MordorMongo like this.
  7. Growler

Growler

Zombie Killer is more of a cider made with honey despite the label. I haven't had the imperial yet to compare.

I enjoyed a couple of the base & year round meads B. Nektar has, but find most of the releases to just be overbearing flavors with no real honey quality to it. It's like Boone's Farm 2.0. Same goes for Kuhnhenn. Insane flavor combos on a so-so base that's being shipped out way too green. Would love to try the $100 Ken Schramm Nektar bottles, but they're out of my league.

Old school stuff from Poland like Dwojniak & even some of the lesser known Apis bottles that aren't so rich are the pinnacle imo. A few American meaderies do a solid to the style, but I always have to dig through my rates/notes to remember their names unfortunately. There aren't many that put out any decent amount to retailers.

If you can find the time to make your own mead & give it the proper time to settle & age, as long as the ingredients are quality, chances are you will find a remarkable difference. By far the best local meads I've ever had are from homebrewers who don't overdo the fruit/herb combos.

cosmicevan likes this.
  8. Dunt

Dunt

My name is Ryan and I'm a meadoholic. I generally have found that most Kuhnhenn meads are pretty disappointing, with the exception of BBFT, CCCB, and Double Raspberry Truffle Pyment. Much bigger fan of B Nektar and their offerings, especially the barrel aged stuff. Readbaron and I joined Shramm's mazer club a few weeks ago...can't wait to deep dick the fuck out of that.

Sam, claaark13, ant880 and 2 others like this.
  9. gpawned

gpawned

I'm pretty new to meads. Just started trying them about 6 months ago.

Kuhnhenn's "The Bruiser" Pyment blew my mind. Kill All The Golfers was amazing too.

Edit: Dying to try BBFT.

10. raymo55

raymo55

Love dat shit...very drinkable for a mead

11. ant880

ant880

Just tried my first meads around 5 or 6 months ago and was really impressed. Had a few from Magpie and Redstone (not sure if those are well known meaderies or not) and just got a few Black Fangs and Zombie Killers from an online order. Would love to get into trying more, especially the Kuhnhenn stuff.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  12. xnicknj

xnicknj

I had it a couple months ago and thought it was delicious, although I didn't have another bottle to compare it to.

Also tried the Kuhnhenn Sherry Citrus Blossom mead 2 weeks ago which was fantastic...definitely want to taste some more from them eventually.

13. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Dark, Dark Goose was much better fresh than it is now, for certain. As is true with a lot of fruited/spiced/coffeed meads (or beers) that shit starts to fade, leaving your feels exposed.

Like this :

[​IMG]

There are some exceptions (see ZOMFG Heart of Darkness, or even BBBFT which seems to have the staying power of Lexington Steele) but it's a general rule I think.

Dubc, domtronzero, gpawned and 2 others like this.
  14. Treebs

Treebs

My roommate in college homebrewed mead so I've been enjoying it for quite sometime, but haven't really dove into the commercial world of mead until about two years ago. BBFT and the Caramel Coconut Creme Brulee have probably been my favorite from Kuhnhenn and Miel De Garde #1 from B.nektar. I've got a few Meads waiting on deck to get into. Kurt's apple pie from Moonlight and Cherry Chipotle from B.nektar.

Anyone have any thought's on those two?

15. claaark13

claaark13

Don't ruin American Pie for me, please. I have such great memories.

MordorMongo likes this.
  16. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Shit is horribly broken, bro.

Accept it as I have done.

17. Dunt

Dunt

Cherry chipotle is the truth

Anyone had Celestial Meads Marriage?

18. tommyz

tommyz

I had it at easter this year and it was fantastic!

19. tommyz

tommyz

Right now Kuhnhenn has these bottles for sale and I think each one is pretty damn good...

Sunflower Bourbon Barrel Aged
    -
    3 Year
    (aged in a three year old Bourbon barrel)
    This still mead is made with Sunflower honey and aged in
    a Heaven Hill Bourbon barrel, which yields intense whis-
    key notes and a firm honey character.
    Sunflower Bourbon Barrel Aged

6 Year
    (aged in a six year old Bourbon barrel)
    a Heaven Hill Bourbon barrel, which yields a rich vanilla
    whiskey note and a firm honey character.

Sunflower Rye Barrel Aged
    (aged in a heavily charred Rye barrel)
    a Heaven Hill Rye barrel, it exhibits a ton of spicy honey

Johnnie Nepal likes this.
  20. tommyz

tommyz

Ive always wanted to try stuff from Moonstruck Meadery out of Nebraska..Heard good things..