US - Mid-Atlantic The Official NYC Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by gregkoko, Nov 12, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. mymrnngjckt

mymrnngjckt

I am too lazy to read this whole thread. Wife is going to Broadway. Will have 3-5 hours to myself with a drinking buddy. Looking for some walkable places for good beer and one or two for food.

Sorry for not reading

2. MikeG

MikeG

Beer Culture on 45th st between 8th and 9th.
    Haymaker on 29th st between 7th and 8th. Good food and good beer.

seedavid likes this.
  3. JCastle

JCastle

I don't hear much about Folksbier. Of the three breweries I visited that was easily my favorite. Tasty beers.

[​IMG]

brooklyn, air, Os and 8 others like this.
  4. jammery

jammery

went to Ivan Ramen in the LES last night and they've stepped up their beer game in a big way. They've got a nice draft selection, though certain things are a bit expensive (though others were reasonable). But their can and bottle list is quite extensive. Again, prices are a little all over the place but nothing really outrageous. They've got some nice lambic (3F, Tilquin) along with local stuff and quality distro.
    I hadn't been there in years and they always had some craft but nothing close to what they have now.

JCastle, MikeJones, skrip and 4 others like this.
  5. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

I went there back in May of last year and had some things from Tired Hands and Magic Rock. Was super impressed by the selection.

Was not super impressed by the ramen though, but maybe it was just an off night.

Padraig, jammery and sobeleg like this.
  6. sobeleg

sobeleg

I've been there three times in the last year or so, the first and third visits I was blown away by the ramen, while the second visit left much to be desired. Consistency issues aside, I would put them just behind Ichiran for best ramen I've had in the city. Still need to try Ippudo and Nakamura.

jammery likes this.
  7. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

Yeah Ippudo is by far my pick. Love.

sobeleg likes this.
  8. air

air

Pretty stoked about trying ramen at Ivan and EAK ramen on my next trip to NY. Iekei is my favorite style and it's near impossible to find anyone doing it outside Japan. EAK seems like they've done it justice. Tabetomo also looks promising and it's nice seeing a stateside ramen shop focused on tsukemen.

Was also hoping to try Ramen Shack since I've been internet friends with Keizo (he used to run Bassanova and is credited for inventing the ramen burger) for over a decade and it would've finally been a chance to meet irl, but they closed down at the end of March :(

I've tried just about every "recommended" ramen place in NYC. Favorites: Totto, Nakamura, Hide-chan, Bassanova, Zundo-ya (believe its now closed unfortunately)

JCastle and jammery like this.
  9. sobeleg

sobeleg

You inspired me to try Ippudo last night, can confirm it’s amazing.

nathanmiller and jammery like this.
  10. mjlevy23

mjlevy23

These are all awesome Ramen recommendations but my favorite is going to Ramen Lab and trying whatever pop-up Sun Noodles invited. Always great ramen and usually something completely different than the norm. Just gotta make sure they are open that week.

11. JCastle

JCastle

I enjoyed Ivan. Broth is nice and fishy without being too heavy or overwhelming. Noodles were pretty tasty, I liked the spicy rye element in there. Mu Ramen's miso is also tasty if you get the chance (I didn't go to their place in NY but I went one of the pop-ups they did in Boston).

air likes this.
  12. Padraig

Padraig Premium Supporter Contributor

Whatever happened to FFF launching in NYC? There were kegs around back in November but then nothing.

13. Shakedwnst

Shakedwnst

We just got it in Philly, but that obviously doesn’t answer your question.

14. jammery

jammery

That was just temporary because Todd was playing a show at St. Vitus. I don't think there were plans to have permanent distro.

15. Padraig

Padraig Premium Supporter Contributor

I definitely read some random IG posts from bars saying it was a formal launch in this market but that sounds like a much more reasonable explanation.

Oh well. No Gumballhead for me.

16. IndianaJones

IndianaJones

Relocated to NYC for work, arrived in town last Tuesday and I'm finally starting to pick my head up a bit to see what's going on. I'm staying up in Harlem, 118th & Manhattan. Would love to touch tips sometime with other TBers in the area!

17. MikeJones

MikeJones

[​IMG]

Welcome to the area!

18. jammery

jammery

Oh damn! Welcome.
    Is that your permanent address?
    I'm trying to think of anyone here that's uptown but I'm blanking. But all the good breweries are in Brooklyn and Queens, so if you plan on venturing down, send out a message. I'll let you know of any forthcoming meet ups as well.

19. IndianaJones

IndianaJones

Thanks man! Yeah, my apartment is up here. I have family in the area so it worked out well to stay uptown. Let me know next time there's a Meetup and I'll make it out

nathanmiller and jammery like this.
  20. sobeleg

sobeleg

Welcome! I lived at 110th and Frederick Douglass for three years before moving to the UES. Love the area. Not too much in the way of solid places right by you. I heard good things about Harlem Hops on ACP and 134 but it opened after I moved out of the neighborhood, and I haven't made it up there yet.

Arts and Crafts up by Columbia on 116th/Amsterdam is solid but pricey. Broadway Dive on 101/Broadway is one of my favorite spots in the city for both and isn't a bad walk. It's an amazing bottleshop and fun bar to hang at. (All of the Dive Bars on the UWS are solid) Best Yet supermarket on 118th and FDB had a decent selection but be sure to check dates.

Also go to Mamas Too and Sal and Carmines for pizza. Row House and Vinateria on FDB both have great food, not too much in the way of beer though.

Definitely down for a TB meetup/bottleshare some time in the near future. Happy to host if we can get something together. There are also plenty of bars that would probably host us if we plan ahead.

Padraig, tikk, jammery and 2 others like this.