The Ohio Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envelopes

Reaction score
The 'whats new in Ohio' thread is one of the only things I still check on the other site. Let's change that.

Recent landings in Columbus:
Razor Hoof (War Mullet & Permanent Funeral next weekish)
Big Bad Baptist
Bitches Brew
Bell's stouts & Third Coast
More 3F OG

Clown Shoes & Prairie coming later this month
New Belgium & Deschutes later

What else?

The 'whats new in Ohio' thread is one of the only things I still check on the other site. Let's change that.

Recent landings in Columbus:
Razor Hoof (War Mullet & Permanent Funeral next weekish)
Big Bad Baptist
Bitches Brew
Bell's stouts & Third Coast
More 3F OG

Clown Shoes & Prairie coming later this month
New Belgium & Deschutes later

What else?

I was just thinking about putting up an Ohio thread myself.... Glad its here though lot of good beer in and coming into the buckeye state.

Thanks for making this tread. Cleveland beer week is coming up Oct 18-26 and there will be some amazing events.

new brewery alert! Wolf's Ridge Brewing (full disclosure: I work there) on N. 4th, downtown. No actual beer yet. Food is the bomb.com. Keep your eyes peeled.
Heard about this place opening...was intrigued. You guys don't plan on doing anything crazy from what I read amirite?
Also heard of pigskin brewery opening up (or already did). No idea what either are really about.
Also, prairie is coming?!? Can't wait to try some **** from them.

We're now getting beer from No-Li out of Spokane, WA
None of it sounds particularly interesting but if they're cheap enough I'll try 'em out.

Heard about this place opening...was intrigued. You guys don't plan on doing anything crazy from what I read amirite?
Also heard of pigskin brewery opening up (or already did). No idea what either are really about.
Also, prairie is coming?!? Can't wait to try some **** from them.

I don't think so. Just waiting tables, but from what it seems like, nothing too crazy initially. I'll definitely keep it updated here. I tried the still-fermenting IPA last week and it was good, so it seems like they've got their basics down. The chef is apparently a good homebrewer too, and they've got a decent sized system in there, so I'm optimistic.

Also glad to see Seventh Son craft brewery right down the street from where I work , they seem to be brewing some decent stuff , hoping to try more of it soon .

Some dude on BA is claiming the Big Bad Baptist is getting sent back to Epic because it's over 12%. Anyone else heard anything about this? I better go pick some up today if so..

I really wish an Ohio brewery would lobby to get the 12% ABV cap lifted. No Sweet Repute for Ohio!

Really excited about Prairie, looks like I'll be visiting my parents in Toledo a little more often. I could see myself getting a case of 'Merica and Gold.

I really wish an Ohio brewery would lobby to get the 12% ABV cap lifted. No Sweet Repute for Ohio!

I emailed Ramos' office last week to see if they're still working on it and got this reply:

We hope to reintroduce the legislation this fall. Much of the spring was devoted to crafting the state budget, and once it was passed the legislature broke for summer recess. Representative Ramos worked to try to get this language included in law during the budget process, but ultimately the amendment we proposed was not accepted by the current majority.

Originally, session was scheduled to resume a few weeks ago; however, the Speaker of the House canceled those House Session dates. Once work begins this fall, and after the bill is introduced, it will be up to the chair of the committee to which it is assigned as to how quickly it moves along the process , if it is to move along the legislative process. We won't know which committee it will be assigned to until after it is introduced.

This is still an issue Representative Ramos is working on and with any luck we'll have it introduced with a bill number in the coming weeks. House session is scheduled to resume next week, and if all goes well we will be able to do the last bit of prep work that needs done in order to get it introduced shortly thereafter.

As the ball gets rolling we will do our best to keep folks updated through various means, such as social media. Thanks for reaching out and if we can be of any service to you in the future please don't hesitate to ask.

I tried the above mentioned Jackie O's/Tired Hands beer today at the Ohio Taproom and was a bit underwhelmed. A good beer but not really worth the $18-20 a growler it's going for around town. I kind of wish the two of them had done something a little more interesting, I guess. I ended up getting a growler of Rhinegeist Fiction Belgian IPA instead. It's the first I've had from them and the sample was great.

The Ohio Taproom can be a bit more on some growlers but it's because they have a counterpressure growler fill system which is amazing(only system in OH?). Just an FYI to all people of interest, and is great when trading/shipping beer! Also I'm almost 100% sure they will fill any growler u bring in.

The Ohio Taproom can be a bit more on some growlers but it's because they have a counterpressure growler fill system which is amazing(only system in OH?). Just an FYI to all people of interest, and is great when trading/shipping beer! Also I'm almost 100% sure they will fill any growler u bring in.
So in love with this place. And a buck or two extra I can live with. Also digging the 32oz plastics.

My love also goes to Whole Foods for their gameday deal (1/2 off glass 25% off fill).

Just to be clear most places around town were asking $18-20 a growler of that Lizard Queen so I wasn't singling out The Ohio Taproom! It was my first time in the place and even though it's a 10 minute drive for me it's definitely going to be my regular place to get a growler filled. And yes, they'll fill any growler. The guy next to me brought in one of those big handled 2L swing-top monsters and the guy said even those will work with their machines.

We officially have bottles of Prairie 'Merica & Funky Galaxy in Ohio.
I'd run out to the door to grab some but I just finished a 'Merica that I was extra'd and I'm not a huge fan of Funky Galaxy. Hoping we see more soon.

Also, Jackie O's 8th Anniversary Party is on December 14th. No details/bottles announced yet but I'll be at this one for sure.

Last edited:
oooooh. i may make my first bottle trip to jackie o's for that. also, victory dirtwolf is around and delicious.

We officially have bottles of Prairie 'Merica & Funky Galaxy in Ohio.

I've heard that 4 cases of Prairie hit Columbus - two each of "Merica and Funky Galaxy. Savor got two of 'em (they posted about it on facebook).

I've already reserved a hotel room for the Jackie O's Anniversary Party - Brad mentioned on BA here that Rum Barrel Oil of Aphrodite will be released then, so I assume there will be bottles.

Last edited:
Some recent arrivals in Columbus:
Founders Harvest
Victory Dirt Wolf
Ithaca Box of Hops
Dogfish Head American Beauty
Hoppin' Frog Cleveland Crusher
Fantome Noel
Jolly Pumpkin Noel De Calabaza
Rivertown Triumvirate
Three Floyds Broo Doo, Permanet Funeral, War Mullet, Razor Hoof
Christmas brews from Troegs, Dark Horse, Southern Tier, Abita, 21st Amendment, etc.

Columbus Brewing made a "46 & 2" Small Batch Pale Wheat
Homestead out of Heath started bottling their Pale Ale & IPA (22oz bombers, $5-7)

any columbusites? seen ojos negros around lately? was hoping to pick one up for a trade but didn't see it at a couple normal spots.

Latest posts

Back