US - Great Lakes The Ohio Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Envelopes, Oct 2, 2013.

1. benh123

benh123

I'll be in Cuyahoga falls this upcoming weekend, first time to Ohio. Really thrilled about it since I've never been to Ohio. Any thing I definitely need to check out? I may make the trek to Jackie o's but it's farther than I initially thought.

thrashD and BoatsAndHoes like this.
  2. BoatsAndHoes

BoatsAndHoes

RyanMcFly1985 ? Could you help a brotha out with recommendations?

RyanMcFly1985 likes this.
  3. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985

On it. A little bit away from where I am so my recommendations may not be the best, but they should be a start.\

Hey man. If you're in Cuyahoga Falls, you're close to Akron which is the home of Hoppin' Frog and Thirsty Dog. Truthfully, I wouldn't go out of your way for those, though. I have heard awesome things about R Shea Brewing (also in Akron). It seems like it would definitely be worth a stop. I have also heard that Craft Beer Bar in Cuyahoga Falls has solid food, and the draft list they post online is always good. Bottle-shop wise, Lizardville in Montrose would likely have the biggest selection near you. Also oddly enough, the Acme Market in Montrose has a great selection.

If you're willing to drive 30-35 min, the Fat Head's Tap House in Middleburg Heights or the brewpub in North Olmsted are the can't-miss spots, IMO. I'd recommend the Tap House because the brewpub usually has an insane wait on the weekends. The beers on tap at each place aren't always the same, but the Tap House will still have an awesome selection. If you've come this far, you're near Cleveland where you can always hit up Rozi's Wine House in Lakewood (great bottle shop and a small but always strong tap list for growler fills). There's also Townhall which is closer to downtown Cleveland. They pretty much always have Willoughby Peanut Butter Cup Coffee Porter on tap and available for crowler fills. Great Lakes is also releasing Barrel Aged Christmas Ale Saturday if that is of interest. Platform Brewing is near there as well and while their beers can be hit or miss, it is a great spot. One more awesome beer bar in that area is the Tremont Tap House. Outstanding food and a killer tap list.

'Hope this is helpful. Sorry that it was a bit all over the place!

4. benh123

benh123

Thanks, this should be very helpful.

5. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985

Just realized Lizardville is in Copley, not Montrose. Sorry about that. Still not too far from where you will be.

BoatsAndHoes likes this.
  6. BoatsAndHoes

BoatsAndHoes

Thanks Ryan!

I don't make it up there as much as I should. And when I do it's the fat heads taproom in middleburg heights.

RyanMcFly1985 likes this.
  7. CommanderofAwesome

CommanderofAwesome

Going to be in Cincinnati Tuesday-Thursday, definitely hitting up jungle jims, but any other spots? Madtree and rhinegeist are options. Happy for any details or other spots.

Thanks!

8. seedavid

seedavid

I enjoyed much of what I had at Urban Artifact, and it's fun to drink beer in a church basement, so I'd recommend going there.

There's a lot going on in OTR though, so if you're going to hit Rhinegeist (which I HIGHLY recommend you do, because it's awesome), maybe check out The Eagle (really good chicken, local beers), Taft's Ale House was nice, and 16-Bit was a cool take on the bar/arcade genre and had a shitload of taps. If you're still in the area in the morning, Holtman's Donuts has some really good ass donuts, and Coffee Emporium has good coffee, and is allegedly the best coffee in the area (though I didn't have coffee from anybody else, so I'm not really qualified to make this determination).

Also, get some Skyline Chili (there's actually a pretty good one right near Jim's), and if you have time/it isn't freezing out, walk around near the riverfront, it's a really lovely area.

That's all I got.

9. TDBuck

TDBuck

If you've had skyline and like the style, I'd reccommend hitting one of the nieghborhood chilli parlors (chilireport.com for a list, I've had and can recommend Gourmet Chili and Camp Washington but the site has reviews and a good list)

My favorite place to eat though is Terry's Turf Club. One of the best burgers in Ohio and I always get a couple Little Kings to wash it down. It can be as basic or as fancy as you want to get.

CommanderofAwesome since I forgot to quote you as well

10. Scalzo

Scalzo

Heinens is a quality grocery store.

marcus23 likes this.
  11. thrashD

thrashD

Kent is pretty close to Cuyahoga. Bottles 101 is a good shop with a good bar/tap list, taco Tontos is an awesome burrito shop that has a small but solid tap list. Rays place is a decent restaaursnt with good taps as well. It's a college town but with thanksgiving being this week it should be pretty laid back.

likesbeer and RyanMcFly1985 like this.
  12. brees6221

brees6221

Looking to pick up some Bodhi and regular IPA on my way through Columbus tomorrow or Saturday. I'm used to grabbing a few sixers of Columbus IPA at a random Kroger or Meijer, but this is my first trip since Bodhi has been bottled; any suggestions? I'll be heading up I-71 from the south to 270, to I-70 east. Thanks.

13. masterofsparks

masterofsparks

The Kroger on Chambers Rd in Grandview isn't too far out of your way and they always seem to have it on hand. When I was in there earlier this week, there were 5 or so cases stacked in the beer section.

It's gotten much easier to find since they've been bottling it regularly for a few months. At first it sold out immediately, but people have calmed down now so it tends to be fairly easy to find.

brees6221 likes this.
  14. brees6221

brees6221

None at Chambers Rd, Grove City or one other Kroger I don't recall east of the city just off of I-70. Chambers Rd did have plenty Backwoods Bastard though so it wasn't a total loss. We drove through last night around 11pm so couldn't check out any craft beer stores.

15. ur boy catlicks

ur boy catlicks

hi gents, ur boy catlicks is moving to cleveland in a couple months. just wanted to say hi. i recognize a few of the names, so maybe we'll end up havin' a cold one. are there any other threads i should keep an eye on?

RyanMcFly1985's info above seems to be consistent with the research i've done thus far.

TDBuck likes this.
  16. mcgrupp1922

mcgrupp1922

5 bottles of red Agnes at Westerville lizardville

DCbeernerd, brewtus and gregkoko like this.
  17. brewtus

brewtus

A man of the people

[​IMG]

DCbeernerd and mcgrupp1922 like this.
  18. Columbus

Columbus

KevinC and TDBuck like this.
  19. Columbus

Columbus

Wolf's Ridge BA Bottle Release party deets:

From our Exotic Origins series:

Dire Wolf Rum Line (22oz) - *5 bottle limit (20 per bottle)
    -Rum barrel aged Dire Wolf with One Line Espresso beans added.-

Sherry Barrel Dire Wolf (22oz) - *2 bottle limit (22 per bottle)
    -Dire Wolf aged in a French oak Sherry puncheon.-

Port Barrel Dire Wolf (22oz) - *1 bottle limit (23 per bottle)
    -Dire Wolf aged in a California Port wine barrel.-

From our Bourbon Barrel Aged Series:

Bourbon Barrel Dire Wolf - *2 bottle limit (18 per bottle)

Regular Series:

Dire Wolf (4-packs) - *limit of 4 total 4-packs (12.99 per pack)

Cinnamon Toast Brunch (22oz) - *4 bottle limit (7 per bottle)

Sustinator Doppelbock (500 ml)- No limit (6 per bottle)

http://www.wolfsridgebrewing.com/events/2016/12/2/barrel-aged-bottle-release-party

Kentucky and mcgrupp1922 like this.
  20. TDBuck

TDBuck

If anyone thinks they are going to miss this and want stuff let me know, I'll probably be only getting a bottle or two and by no means will be maxing out (will be grabbing the Port though)