US - Great Lakes The Ohio Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Envelopes, Oct 2, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. cneville

cneville

there's a rockmill down there which i have heard good things about. lindey's in GV has a wonderful happy hour from 4:30-6:30 at the bar. harvest pizza is really great, as is wolf's ridge for both food and beer (disclaimer: used to work there). tatohead's is a fun dive bar in merion village owned by an old neighbor of mine. schmidt's is a columbus institution and bar 185 was probably where i spent most of my money when i lived downtown. beck tavern also rules for dive bars.

TDBuck and flyingbison like this.
  2. flyingbison

flyingbison

Thanks! I've had my eye on Schmidt's ... how's the beer selection there?

3. cneville

cneville

from what i remember usually a decent selection of german beers on tap, couple of "house" beers brewed by elevator that are ok, and maybe a few locals. if you do go, don't overthink your order. bahama mama, german potato salad, green beans, cream puff. tried and true. buffet's not a bad option either if you're starving.

BuckTuckian, TDBuck and flyingbison like this.
  4. OHLRangers

OHLRangers

Hot Chicken Takeover is more Short North but really enjoyed it. Same with Sweet Carrot - not in that area but thought it was great when we were there in May.

TDBuck, cneville and flyingbison like this.
  5. StevonHanby

StevonHanby

Elevator brewing makes their beer....not that great. Schmidts is great german food though if you like that.

Daily growler is located in brewery district on high and they have 60 plus craft beer taps. Big Mama's Burritos is housed in there and they pretty much make any type of burrito you want.

Local Cantina is across the street decent craft list but impressive bourbon list. Food is good too.

Rock mill is kinda expensive food wise but it's delicious down the street is CBC resturant great food but nothing to do with the brewery anymore.

Thurmans (German Village)-Huge burgers and wings and you'll be stuffed for day. Worth the visit. Dive joint but awesome.

Red Brick Taven-Good happy hour, pub food and bbq.

Legacy off Greenlawn rd-Go here for the bbq. it's awesome.

Wolf ridge totally recommend. Food and beer is great. If you keep going up north on 4th where this brewery is located you'll hit Hoof Hearted, Seventh Son and St. James.

Local Cantina- My favorite spot. 1970's hotel bar vibe and they serve burritos, home made chips and quac, tacos etc.

Barley's is walking distance from wolf. Food is great and you have a brew arcade upstairs.

Hope you enjoy yourself!

coach, TDBuck and flyingbison like this.
  6. atoulouk

atoulouk Premium Supporter Contributor

I'm spending all next week in North east Ohio, Youngstown/Canton area... Is there anythig worth checking out in the area?

Anyone live there and want to grab a beer

7. riemster

riemster

I live in Canton. Fat heads canton is cool. Royal docks has a decent happy hour. Half off flatbreads (Cuban 1 is pretty solid) and $4 drafts. Couple more recent places opened up that I still need to visit. Shale brewing (north canton) and paradigm shift (Massillon). If you like mead, check out Crafted in Akron. If healthy tasty food is your thing, then check out BAM.

atoulouk likes this.
  8. clevelandisthecity

clevelandisthecity

I'm in Cleveland if you make it up this way and want to grab a beer

atoulouk and jdd419 like this.
  9. flyingbison

flyingbison

Found time to hit up Daily Growler, Barley's, Wolf's Ridge, and Land Grant. All very good, and I brought home a growler of the rauchbier from Wolf's Ridge. Extra points for all those places letting you sample anything you want (been to too many places that don't).

Foodwise, I didn't make it to Schmidt's, but had a bahama mama sausage from their food truck. Ate my way through the North Market ... hot chicken, Himalayan dumplings (twice), peirogis, jeni's ice cream, and pretzels. So many options, so little time. Also hit Katzinger's deli twice ... hot dogs from Dirty Franks ... a burrito from Local Cantina ... and lots of ribs, pulled pork, and brisket at the Jazz and Rib Fest.

10. flyingbison

flyingbison

PS ... CBus was great. Every city needs to have a free bus or train that runs through downtown.

TDBuck likes this.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky

Dirty Frank's, my man!!! Fucking love that place!

12. cneville

cneville

katzingers was a great choice. fucking love that place.

TDBuck, flyingbison and Kentucky like this.
  13. ScottJWing

ScottJWing

Damn, well done! That’s more CBus’n than ive done in the past year.

14. TDBuck

TDBuck

[​IMG]

You did the city right

15. BigFrank

BigFrank

Hey guys, I'm doing a road trip lif that starts in just over a week, hope you'll offer a guess! Me and my boys will be headed your way!

https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/bigfranks-fathers-day-road-trip-6-0-penn-oh-mich.41421/

Kentucky likes this.
  16. BigFrank

BigFrank

Crap! Hoof Hearted is closed today! Anyone have a suggestion in Columbus?

Brubaker likes this.
  17. Brubaker

Brubaker Triple Double Diamond Platinum Club Member

Wolf's Ridge is right near the hoof taproom.

18. cneville

cneville

Also better beer

19. BigFrank

BigFrank

Thank you!

20. TheJB

TheJB Premium Supporter Contributor

I have a friend heading to Canton from Chicago who is looking for suggestions for any bottle shops in the area that have a great selection of stuff he can’t find in Chicago. He will be hitting Fat Heads for sure but any brewery suggestions would be appreciated as well