The Quad/BSDA Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechrislife

Reaction score
Other styles get their own dedicated discussion threads, didn't see one when I searched for quads/BSDA. Hopefully this/these style(s) get enough love around here for this to take off.

What's everyone's favorite? Any American breweries making anything even close to the quality that comes out of Belgium?

Oerbier and Pannepot (and each of their variants) are definitely my favorite.

2005 Pannepot Grand Reserva is definitely in my top 5 beers of all time.

Glad to have a 2010 Reserva and Grand Reserva headed my way.

Oooo good thread. My favorites are aged Westy and any-age Pannepot. Haven't found anything in the US that even comes close to Belgian ones, but maybe they'll get on it one of these days. For some reason I've been passing up the Pannepot Reservas but I should stop doing that.

Pannepot is definitely my favorite, and that's been confirmed to me under blind tasting conditions with all the big Trappist quads.

Agreed w/Stu on American inability to match the Belgians. Quads/BSDAs used to be my favorite and I started my cellar collection with that (I still have my first cellared bottle, a Chimay Blue that's probably 2009/2010). My favs are not particularly edgy - Westy/St. Bernardus 12 (did a tasting and found them to be very very similar next to Rochefort) and I really have enjoyed the strong dark fruit flavors of the La Trappe Quad which doesn't get as much love.

Weyerbacher Quad was one of the first really really crafty beers I remember buying. Do they even still make that? I remember really enjoying it.

For me, my preference goes to barrel aged La Trappe in the 37,5cl bottles. Nothing smoother or richer than that IMO.

In honor of this thread, decided to crack this today.

Loads of dark fruit, green apple, rum raisin. No real breadiness present, which I suspect is due to the age. Stands head to head with Bernardus 12 and Rochefort 10 imo.

Really feel like opening one tonight!

This thread made me realized I was keeping two of these bad boys for a friend for the birth of his little girl. Mag ftw

jwr2Bzh.jpg

One thing I am excited about this coming winter is Quad drinking weather. :)

For me, my preference goes to barrel aged La Trappe in the 37,5cl bottles. Nothing smoother or richer than that IMO.

Super curious about BA La Trappe^, especially now that they label all the bottles with the barrel blend. Might have to pick one up this come winter.

Straffe Hendrik, anyone? I remember really enjoying it both times I tried it. Think it might have been the Heritage. Agreed on the Pannepot — was very surprised to see a whole shelf of 2014 regular and a few 2009 vintage at my local grocery after enjoying it on a trip to Belgium. Are they common in the US/California or did I just luck out with my grocer? I was under the impression that De Struise were kinda indie.

Last edited:
Straffe Hendrik, anyone? I remember really enjoying it both times I tried it. Think it might have been the Heritage. Agreed on the Pannepot — was very surprised to see a whole shelf of 2014 regular and a few 2009 vintage at my local grocery after enjoying it on a trip to Belgium. Are they common in the US/California or did I just luck out with my grocer? I was under the impression that De Struise were kinda indie.

There are a bunch of the Reserva versions on the shelf at this one Iowa grocery store. So they for sure get around.

Im gonna venture a guess that 90% (or more) of the bsda and quads i drink take place between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My favs are rochefort 10 and pannepot with its different iterations. In a bottle shop last night I came across a case of pannepot grand reserva 2010. At a dollar an ounce its worth it and I can justify that price but I talked myself out of getting any. Now that im reading this thread I wish I snagged at least 1 to drink in comparison with my remaining bottle(s) of '05.

Im not the biggest St Bernardus fan but their oaked version peaked my interest when I learned it was calvados aged. Looking forward to opening that when the weather gets cooler

Huge fan of R10, La Trappe's Oak Aged Quad and Pannepot Riserva...all with at least a year on them. Preferably 2-3.

Westy 12, Chimay GR and St B 12 are hit or miss for me.

Had a 2002 Westvleteren last night:

6484c88df67bd3bcad023130b33a2c07_640x640.jpg

I really love how that beer ages, all dark chocolate candy plums. I wish it were easier to trade for aged quads. I don't mean "I wish people asked for less", I mean "I wish literally anyone had them for trade". It's harder to find those than rare lambic...

Trader Joes vintage ale ayayayayaya

To clarify, did you just ululate?

I recently had a Westy that was one day before the best by date on the cap, love that beer. I always get a really strong raspberry ester that reminds me of this candy:

images

Which happens to be my favorite candy of all time.

Im not the biggest St Bernardus fan but their oaked version peaked my interest when I learned it was calvados aged. Looking forward to opening that when the weather gets cooler

Those St Bernardus beers are usually a little too sweet for me, but I AM pretty curious about the BA version. However, I have heard the barrel isn't very noticable, which has stopped me considering the price. Waiting for someone to open one up and offer me a pour...

Had a 2002 Westvleteren last night:

6484c88df67bd3bcad023130b33a2c07_640x640.jpg

I really love how that beer ages, all dark chocolate candy plums. I wish it were easier to trade for aged quads. I don't mean "I wish people asked for less", I mean "I wish literally anyone had them for trade". It's harder to find those than rare lambic...

Still haven't had any Westy. Need to check out what they trade for without any age, though your post isn’t very encouraging.

Those St Bernardus beers are usually a little too sweet for me, but I AM pretty curious about the BA version. However, I have heard the barrel isn't very noticable, which has stopped me considering the price. Waiting for someone to open one up and offer me a pour...
Opened one last night actually. Barrel is barely there, damn shame. Good beer as it tasted like Abt 12, with a spice level coming in being the only thing that set it apart.

#newmoney would kick themselves for trying to chase down the flavor of the month if they'd ever stop and pick up a Roch 10 or even a Celebrator Doppelbock.

Roch 10 is just hanging on shelves like "lol I'm here when you need me guyz".

Other than that, Pannepot grand reserva is a top 10 beer for me. I really enjoy westy, but have never got the love for St B. We had a 12 during their tour and I swear it was infected (also much lols had when they kept talking about their very own hop field next door, then show the tin of extract with holes in it that they just chuck into the boil. Turns out they don't actually own the hop field. Classic Belgium).

Is that kinda like De Dolle where SNR isnt actually barrel aged, its just blended with a portion of itself that was thrown to the wolves acetobater harboring fruit flies.
Is this also the case with Oerbier Reserva? 'Cause that sounds like a bummer.

Is that kinda like De Dolle where SNR isnt actually barrel aged, its just blended with a portion of itself that was thrown to the wolves acetobater harboring fruit flies.

He's got a few barrels... the fruit fly-patient zero barrel is a sight to behold though.

However I'm skeptical whether he even brews on that kit. Looks unused for 50 years or so...

Rochefort 10 and Bernadus Christmas. Yeah, I said it and I'll call it a quad.

I guess Pannepot Reserva, too. It's aiiiiight.

We did a blind tasting of 25 Christmas beers a while back. I learned that Christmas beers are the worst, but St B stuck out a mile away. That came out like a ray of sunshine

We did a blind tasting of 25 Christmas beers a while back. I learned that Christmas beers are the worst, but St B stuck out a mile away. That came out like a ray of sunshine

Christmas beers are pretty terrible as a rule, but St. B Christmas is delicious. I have like one a year and love it, then don't want it until the next year.

Latest posts

Back