US - Pacific The San Diego area thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by evilc, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Tyrsis

Tyrsis

Like I said, needs some sort of acid. Yellow mustard or pickles (or both! mmm) My Double Double order is always ketchup and mustard instead of spread, add pickles. I will say that the burger seems to hit the spot more when drunk as fuck.

I'm not sure who makes the best burger in town. It's not my "go to" when eating out. I haven't even had Balboa's or Rocky's...

The pizza is good, but it's no Sicilian Thing / Luigi's. The best part is that you can grab food and go for a beer at Fall. That's nice.

2. Sebowski

Sebowski

I'm probably not the person to listen to on this topic. I'm not much of a burger guy. I probably ate 3 burgers last year. And I've had 3 Friendly burgers in the last two months. I hate thick patties. So filling. I don't won't to eat for three days after eating a thick burger. I also don't like a lot of shit on my burger. I hate mustard and pickles. And macro mayo. When I go to In & Out I get it with only grilled onions, cheese, and ketchup. The only thing I'd change about the friendly burger is a douse of ketchup. I love that it's basically a 3 bite burger. It always makes me think I can eat another instead of not ever even finishing most burgers I get.

So I'm like the guy who's all "Dude! This IPA is the best ever. AND I DON"T EVEN LIKE ANY IPAs". Chances are that IPA sucks if you like IPAs.

#TalkBurgers
    I had an idea for a Top Chef quick fire. Tell them to make the best burger they've ever made. Then when it is time to plate say ok, now only serve me the patty. :headesplode:

I do like a Hodads once a year, but really only for the bacon. That's what made that place famous. If you aren't getting the bacon there then there isn't really a point of dealing with that place. I started adding it to their chicken sandwich now so I don't even need a burger when I want their bacon.

3. pugsandsuds

pugsandsuds

Happy to see blind lady get a keg of the saison they did with Cellarmaker and HPB, anybody wanna grab a beer?

Aka looking for more people to justify ordering fries

4. arren

arren

Ha we're on the same page re: the Friendly burger - same criticism, but I seem to be a little more vehement about it.

I can definitely relate to your burger opinions - fancy burgers can go fuck themselves, and weirdo burgers even moreso. I've visited Slater's probably three times in my life, and each time I was left wondering if I even enjoy burgers.

That's why I'm a little surprised that you don't really like the Rocky's burger. It's about as simple a burger as you can get - that's its main strength to me. It reminds me of the best burger you've had at a friend's BBQ. I don't think I've had a burger in SD yet that can invoke that kind of emotional response.

I think Shake Shack achieves the "greasy as fuck" burger much better than The Friendly, albeit at a higher price. And that's the thing too - people extol a $5 burger as being cheap, but when you think about it, is it really that cheap? Honestly, I'd rather eat 5 McD's cheeseburgers for the same price.

Hodad's bacon is something special, and you're right - I go there only when I'm craving a bacon cheeseburger. And then I promptly hate myself for somehow fitting a 5lb burger into my stomach.

...fuck, I want a burger now - as I'm making kimchi fried rice with carnitas.

5. Sage

Sage

Tangentially related – I’ve never ordered the Puerco sandwich at Tiger (no particular reason – I just usually end up ordering from the daily specials menu), and holy shit that is one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had. Also one of the messiest sandwiches I’ve ever had, but totally worth it. Fatty af, but the right amount of acid to cut through all of it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 12:01 AM
  6. Sebowski

Sebowski

TLDR
    I hate burgers but love sliders.

smithj2154 likes this.
  7. DougOLis

DougOLis

What's EDSD?

joelbarish likes this.
  8. sdreaper

sdreaper

FB group called Eating and Drinking in San Diego, run/moderated/dictatored by Edwin Real.

DougOLis, souredstouts and arren like this.
  9. arren

arren

A shining example of what goes wrong when you combine someone desperately trying to make a name for themselves with a bunch of no-names wanting to be part of someone who's trying to make a name for themselves.

SerenityNow, DougOLis, stawn and 4 others like this.
  10. chemman14

chemman14

Grabbed a sixer of that Pizza Port Shred Session this weekend and wow is it fantastic. Not nearly enough 5% amazingly flavorful beers out there that still have body. $16 a 6 pack fucks hard too.

11. souredstouts

souredstouts

Just say no to dry overcooked burgers. Haven't been in a long time but they used to have an amazing tap list.

arren and nanobrew like this.
  12. ggfunk

ggfunk

Does Fall Brewing package beers? If so, how tough is it to get?

arren likes this.
  13. Tyrsis

Tyrsis

Yes, easy to get.

souredstouts, arren and ggfunk like this.
  14. jwacky

jwacky

Almost every can release everywhere down here is easy enough to get these days, it seems. Just so damn many of them around, not to mention the stuff that's been coming in to the Bottlecrafts and B&Vs of the world.

15. SanDiegoJoe2011

SanDiegoJoe2011

Hahaha, brutal!

I’ve never been on EDSD, but when people on SDBF were complaining about how ridiculous it was, I knew that 1) I shouldn’t even bother and 2) I should leave SDBF, haha.

rcubed, arren and SerenityNow like this.
  16. Tyrsis

Tyrsis

It's definitely a hive mind. It has it's uses if you lurk, and want to find a certain thing (type of food, dish, drink etc) in San Diego. Otherwise, if you have a dissenting opinion, prepare to get raked over the coals.

arren and Abigigail like this.
  17. sdreaper

sdreaper

BA Rum Speedway....not sure what barrels were used, but that shit was pretty good. A tad on the sweeter side. Tommy also made a blend doing equal parts BA Private Stock, sea salt bavss, and ba rum speedway...very very smooth.

smithj2154, rcubed and arren like this.
  18. Abigigail

Abigigail

I agree. The search function is the best part of the page.

arren likes this.
  19. arren

arren

And if you like Yelp, you might as well be banned.

20. chemman14

chemman14

Is that going to be a club exclusive? I just want more RBAVSS. I was sad that it was no longer on tap last weekend. I blame you. Although 2018 is the best BASS has been in a couple years IMO.