The Star Trek Universe Thread

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by Hanzo, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo

Saw there were a few Star Wars related threads, no love for Trek here? I am working my way through Enterprise....it's rough but it isn't terrible. I'll kick things off.

Anyone else excited for Discovery? Hell yes (though not the format it is being distro'd on)

What's your favorite Trek Series? TNG, duh.

Favorite Star Trek Movie? Wrath of Khan

Who's your favorite Captain? Kirk

Hottest Trek Female? Seven of Nine, but I wouldn't kick Jadzia Dax or T'Pol out of bed.

Like the reboot Star Trek Movies? Eh...I am enjoying them, they aren't perfect, but most of all I like that they are bringing in new blood to the fan base.

Favorite Star Trek Game? Haven't played many, but enjoyed Star Trek Online (STO) over the years.

Just a few talking points to kick things off.

2. tikk

tikk

My favorite series was DS9, had many clunkers, but the dominion war was some of the best storylines ever. I'm very sad they won't be making an HD version, those battles would have been amazing.

I did love TNG so much, it was a close second to DS9. Picard was the best captain and I had the hots for Troi. Sci-fi plus cleavage made a preteen boy very happy.

Voyager was my least favorite, but Enterprise was close. Too much disjointed storytelling and why do they have to force the Borg into everything.

Favorite Movie was definitely Khan.

Only saw the first reboot, the sequels are on my computer, but I haven't had any want to spend time on them.

3. disGRUNTled

disGRUNTled

Never watched the show, Loved the movies though .
    [​IMG]

hamburger, leftoverburrito and Hanzo like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo

I'll admit, the whole Dominion War arch saved DS9 for me. It was pretty damn great. Still working my way through Enterprise, but I can't imagine I'll enjoy it more than Voyager. Dang, how could I not give Troi a nod. I am ashamed of myself.

I think Picard on paper is the "best" Captain, but lacks the charisma Kirk had.

Like Nemesis, or the new reboot ones? Or all of them?

leftoverburrito likes this.
  5. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito

Thought about starting this thread a few times.

Discovery: I'm cautiously optimistic. Agreed on the format.

Fave series: TNG>OG>>>>>Voyager>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DS9>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Enterprise.

Fave movie: Khan. First Contact is really good though.

Fave captain: Picard by an extremely slim margin. Kirk will always be the man, but Patrick Stewart can act really well. (Re: "Chain of Command".) ("Darmok.")

Hottest: Zoe Saldana "Uhura">>>Seven>>>Troi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Janice Rand>>>B'elanna

Reboots: I think they're fine. I'm entertained each time. Being such a Khan fan, I thought I would hate Into Darkness but I actually enjoyed it.

Favorite episodes:

OS: The Arena, Amok Time, Tholian Web, The Doomsday Machine

TNG: The Best of Both World's, Tin Man, Clues, Unification, Cause and Effect, Darmok, Chain of Command, Time's Arrow, Schisms, Relics

DS9: Trials and Tribble-ations. (Fucking GREAT episode), Any episode with the least amount of Kira.

Voyager: Year of Hell, Scorpion, Future's End, Prometheus, The Omega Directive, Course: Oblivion.

6. disGRUNTled

disGRUNTled

The new ones mang ....

Hanzo likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo

That was supposed to say "through Nemesis" like all the older movies up through Nemesis.

But yeah, that's cool, I know a lot of new fans or people that's weren't ever into Trek before getting into it thanks to the new movies.

leftoverburrito and disGRUNTled like this.
  8. leftoverburrito

leftoverburrito

And one more thing while I'm thinking about it.

Any true Trek fan that says they don't get misty at the end of Khan is a straight up liar. EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

tikk, mateoloco and Hanzo like this.
  9. Der Fuchs

Der Fuchs

Have been watching the animated 70s series with the kiddo lately. Decent for 30m episodes.

And Zoe Saldana is worth mentioning again. Also, Kirk's randoms.

Hanzo and leftoverburrito like this.
  10. JBPortland

JBPortland

11. Lutter

Lutter

Pretty sure it's turning into a shitfest with all the delays...

The creator/showrunner quit in pre-production.

Apparently they're (per CBS's direction) mixing the visuals of the reboot films with the timeline of the Prime Universe (set pre-TNG), which sounds really really dumb and something Trek fans won't like at all. Showrunner as well as the visual effects company quit because of this decision, apparently. Lots of re-writes.

Fans of Trek TV want something with that TNG/DS9/VOY feel that can jive with and expand upon the lore from those series.

It's going to be a mess.

12. Lutter

Lutter

That show got REALLY good in seasons 3/4.

Shame that I was, perhaps, the only one watching, lol.

Hanzo likes this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo

I really hope they don't fuck it up. I already hate the look of the ship but I'm still staying optimistic. They have a lot riding on this of they want their paid service to bloom.

14. Hanzo

Hanzo

Ok, I've seen a ton of unrealistic stuff in Star Trek, but I just saw a ship full of men turn down T'Pol while hot, sweaty and in the throws of an artificial Pon Farr. I mean she's literally running around begging for the D. Most unrealistic episode yet.

:SMH:

leftoverburrito and tikk like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo

So I'd never heard of this till recently. Apparently a fan made show that CBS is trying to block, though from what I am reading they seemed to have settled. Looks like CBS should have just paid them to make Discovery.

16. Lutter

Lutter

They've been kinda unclear about what they're going to be able to make now.

Star Trek Renegades (fanfilm series that has a bunch of Star Trek alum) has becoming straight up 'Renegades' and dropped all mention of Star Trek races/logos/etc...

Hanzo likes this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo

Man, this looks like so much fun if you had a group of friends to play with. Too bad the cost of all the equipment is a barrier of entry for a lot of people. But I suppose that will naturally come down in time.

Der Fuchs likes this.
  18. Lutter

Lutter

RE:

I've been reading/watching a lot of fan theories (and published realities) as to why this series looks the way it looks... apparently Paramount/Bad Robot is producing the series as an attempt to extend their license with CBS Video for their "Alternative" Star Trek seen in the last 3 movies (since Beyond bombed and they don't currently have any films on the table).

They've licensed the planet names, ship/race names, insignias, stuff like that... but have to use a different "look" to the show (designs, uniforms, ships,etc).

The series is poses zero risk from CBS's perspective because if this as all the fees they paid to Paramount/Bad Robot were already made up via an International Netflix deal delivering the series to 180 countries.

Consequently CBS can see this thing is turning out to be dogshit and has hired Nicholas Meyer to create a new Trek series post-Voyager in the classic/Prime universe that they are self funding. If Discovery fails they can call it an anthology series and replace for Season 2 or we might just have another Trek series on The CW. Because Discovery looks so different from the "core" Trek TV series they don't see a way it can harm their "classic" brand.

TLDR; Star Trek is complicated because of JJ Abrams and split rights between 2 conglomerates.

Citations:
    http://www.thewrap.com/how-web-star-trek-rights-killed-jj-abrams-grand-ambitions-91766/amp/

http://www.thefederationtimes.com/how-did-jj-abrams-get-his-hands-on-star-trek-anyway/

19. Lutter

Lutter

PS: The Orville looks more Star Trek than Star Trek right now.

This series is also executive produced by Brennon Braga (EP of TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT)

20. mattafett

mattafett

My Aunt was Capt. Janeway's babysitter as a kid.

I like Trek, watch all the movies, but am not "in" to it. I live 20 mins. from Capt. Kirk's birthplace.

Der Fuchs and leftoverburrito like this.