US - Mid-Atlantic The Strong Island Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by cosmicevan, Oct 3, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

pm me. let me get your contact info

2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

anyone in here doing zwanze? was gonna hit up fools gold w the crew but one by one the crew is bailing on zwanze. I have no issue flying solo but would love to travel w someone or have ppl to.meet w to share bottles and whatnot

brystmar and GuisseppeFranco like this.
  3. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco

Joey Pepper and I will be at Spuytin if you wanna join us.

brystmar, cosmicevan and BeerWorld like this.
  4. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

looks like the crew is back in...we hitting fools gold (although the plan seems to change by the minute). looking forward to a great day of beer tomorrow

5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

anyone coming out to sand city anniversary party and can release? I will probably be there for the first hour or so of the party

6. gregkoko

gregkoko

Saw that Barrier is going to start canning. Big fan of the price drop as well. Their bottle prices were outrageous. Very happy with $16/4pk for Money

cosmicevan, tbub18 and ant880 like this.
  7. raginasian238

raginasian238

Hey Strong Island, hope you're all okay and none of you were involved in the crash this morning.

8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

right on. what crash?

9. timotao

timotao

LIRR train overran the platform and hit the bumping block at Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn. Worst injury was a broken leg I believe.

cosmicevan likes this.
  10. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

I know geographically speaking Brooklyn is ON long island, but it is not considered part of LI. kindly take your Burrough hipster talk to the upstate NY thread.

11. raginasian238

raginasian238

Uh, you realize the original post was made to express concern for the people in your area (Nassau/Suffolk) who take LIRR into the city each day for work? And that you still had to inquire?

Thankfully the injuries weren't severe, but, come on, man. BOROUGH or not, you don't need to be like that.

12. JGam115

JGam115

Hope that was drunk talk, because that's a completely asinine comment.

13. timotao

timotao

Nah, they don't deserve that kind of punishment. It's warranted in a thread with "Strong Island" in the title.

Also, I live in Nassau so i'm allowed to post here if i want.;)

raginasian238 and cosmicevan like this.
  14. lambandtunaphish

lambandtunaphish

Delete your account.

GuzzleMcBrew, ant880, timotao and 9 others like this.
  15. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

hey man, you live in CT, what you doing here? ;) fingers still crossed for 135 to extend...it might happen!!!

but on a more srs note and a message to some of the newer more vocal TB locals...In reality, I definitely don't want anyone to be hurt or for bad things to happen and all that jazz, and I am admittantly out of the loop on world (and local) affairs this week, but this is talkbeer...this is the place where Internet bullies thrive and you almost can't tell who is getting made fun of and what is real. I always loved that article about the different beer communities that called talkbeer the deep end of the swimming pool...I mean, after all, BA used to call this a haven for trolls. I don't reddit, but I picture talkbeer as being a little lighter than that (from what I hear about reddit) with a beer focus and a user base that is either drunk when posting or an alcoholic/on the verge alcoholic (though there are those rare exceptions who spend their days reading about beer yet only drink once a month).

and me, well, I'm just a douchebag...so don't mind me cause douchebags are gonna make douchy posts. not always, but enough. I kind of equate my role on talkbeer as "ralp"h if you are a Howard Stern fan. the guy you love to hate, who gets a good laugh from the hate (and I get goaded into that role fairly easily). Def down to pop bottles in person if you are local.

Hugebulge and timotao like this.
  16. Kasher

Kasher

Shut the fuck up and go stare at your mini-snifters.

17. Stubs

Stubs

Awesome. No worries. Me too, dude.

One can hope...

18. BeerHatesRob

BeerHatesRob

Well this is quite the interesting thread.

Annyyyyyway....

I'm a native LIer who only makes it back to town once every other year now. I try to take my buddies to local breweries every time I visit, but with the rapid growth of beer in every corner of the country, I figured I'd come here for some suggestions on where to hit up.

In the past we did Blue Point (before they sold out) and Great South Bay.

My buddies live in Levittown, Huntington, Commack, and East Northport.

I'll be on LI just for the weekend (Friday - Sunday) and probably only have time to spend one of those days at a brewery or two.

Thoughts on places to go with guys who dig beer but aren't super nerd about it.

raginasian238, jammery and ant880 like this.
  19. Kasher

Kasher

Sand City in Northport and Barrage in Farmingdale would be my choices. Keep the travel time/distance down.

20. ant880

ant880

I second Barrage; tap room is pretty small but they are making some really good beer.

Barrier has good beer and a large tap room to hang out in but, as Kasher said about cutting down on travelling, it would be a bit of a trek from where your buddies live.