US - Mid-Atlantic The Strong Island Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by cosmicevan, Oct 3, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. Timmush

Timmush

I am probably going to be at spider bite and 1940 Friday. I'll be with my wife and one of us will probably be wearing some Conclave gear because that's pretty much all I own at this point
    Edit:I am not sure in timing but it might be around 4-5

gregkoko, cosmicevan and tikk like this.
  2. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Nice spider bite is 10 mins from my office, I'll try and make a stop and say hi...will toss a cool bottle in my work bag to hopefully share

Timmush likes this.
  3. BarrelAgedTacocaT

BarrelAgedTacocaT

Does anyone know if sand city has different hours for the holiday weekend? I haven't been to the brewery yet and was hoping to check it out this weekend. Their instagram just lists fall hours.

4. A55HAT

A55HAT

Hey, just out of curiosity how many of you are members of LIBME or Handgrenades here?

5. Hugebulge

Hugebulge

I shop at handgrenades but not a member.

A55HAT likes this.
  6. GreenMtnMike

GreenMtnMike

Hi everybody! Sorry to interrupt, but I’m hoping to catch the US Open at Shinnecock Hills for the Saturday round and was hoping for some local advice.

What’s the best lodging option if great beer, cost, and reasonable public transportation/Uber to Southampton are all factors?

EDIT: Not necessarily specific place to stay, just general area would be really helpful.

7. Kasher

Kasher

Getting to Southampton in the Summer between the hours of ~(6:30-9:30AM) and out of Southampton from ~(3:30-6:30PM) is as awful of a travel expense as I could wish on someone. There's basically one road into town, CR-39/Montauk Highway NY-27, which chokes down to a single lane once you enter the Town of Southampton. I imagine on U.S Open weekend especially with the course right off the main drag it will be even worse. I'd do a quick google search to see if people have posted about what the traffic was like last time the Open was at Shinnecock Hills, but I would be surprised if it wasn't terrible.

So that being said, I think determining how much of an issue it will be to get into/out of town is first priority. If it turns out it's not a terrible situation, then I'd probably recommend somewhere on the North Fork. The beer scene on the South Fork is pretty small (aside from Southampton Publick House) while the North Fork has several breweries (Long Ireland, Moustache, Crooked Ladder, Jamesport Farm, Greenport Harbor). Those locations are probably spread out from west-to-east by about 20 miles, so transportation is a definite must. The North Fork is probably at least a 25-30min trip under ideal conditions to Shinnecock Hills, even longer the further east you go because you either have to loop around to get to the South Fork or take 2 ferries through Shelter Island.

I can't speak for Uber in Suffolk County Eastern LI. It's here. It hasn't been here for too long, but it does exist. I know there were some logistical hurdles in East Hampton, the Town east of Southampton, but I believe they have been all cleared up at this point.

I think staying in Southampton proper would be the easiest answer for getting to-and-from the U.S Open conveniently, but there's not much beer going on as compared to the North Fork, although there are plenty of great wineries if you enjoy wine. I'd expect it to be more expensive staying in Southampton, especially on U.S Open weekend because it's a pretty high society town in the Summer to begin with and there aren't really any hotel chain stye hotels. The North Fork has access to more chain hotels but they too may be pricey because it's becoming a Summer weekend destination to come out here and go to the wineries, farms, etc.

I know I just gave you really general information, but I hope it gives you an idea. Any more questions feel free to ask.

GreenMtnMike likes this.
  8. GreenMtnMike

GreenMtnMike

Thanks! Last time I was there was for the Open at Bethpage in ‘09 and they ran shuttles from Jones Beach. I’m hoping to avoid shuttles this year, but if traffic is that bad maybe I’ll change my mind. I’m not really averse to staying further west and taking the train, just need to do my homework.

ant880 and Kasher like this.
  9. Kasher

Kasher

The East End is far more rural than the Bethpage/Jones Beach area. I'd keep an eye out and see if they're running shuttles from the Southampton train station. It may help things. If they do, make sure you stay somewhere close to the Montauk line so you'll be able to get there.

ant880 and GreenMtnMike like this.
  10. ant880

ant880

A temporary Shinnecock train station is going to be constructed with a working platform and ticket sales tent. Fares will be based on LIRR Zone 14 pricing. You should be able to purchase a ticket to Shinnecock station at any ticket office or ticket machine by May 21.

GreenMtnMike and Kasher like this.
  11. A55HAT

A55HAT

Any homebrewers here? Where is everyone buying their grains/hops/yeast from these days now that we had two major homebrew shops close down on LI recently?

12. Hugebulge

Hugebulge

What 2 shops closed?