US - Southwest The Texas BBQ Thread (no Pork allowed)

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Lutter, May 19, 2016.

1. Lutter

Lutter

The poor Jester King thread has been overrun with BBQ discussion, so let's move it in here.

Texas BBQ. Brisket. Sausage. Ribs. No Pork (except maybe in some cases of ribs).

No vinegar and brown sugar sauce or whatever crap they use in South Carolina.

CharlieMurphy, Evahflow and DougOLis like this.
  2. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus

A few years back i waited in line like 3 hours on the blacktop in June for Franklin's. I figured when in Rome...
    Brisket was dope.
    I was really, really hungover that day though... I thought i might die.
    I believe though that you can call for pickup for orders over a certain dollar amount or weight or something?

I'll be back in Austin in July, maybe i'll check it out again.

3. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

we had a spot open 2 weeks ago right down the street from me who has legit brisket that rivals anything i've had in TX. super excited.

4. Ryan_G

Ryan_G

Ah fuck, few days late. Our BBQ sucks.

kuemmelbrau likes this.
  5. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

i bet the guy at courtyard was super excited that you are from cali though.

Lutter and Ryan_G like this.
  6. blatherbeard

blatherbeard

Ill never get to franklins, too old and cranky to stand in a line.

I really need to take a weekend and jump to some of these BBQ places. Ive been to blacks(lockhart) because its close to me and love their beef rib thats as big as my friggin head. Southside(new one here in Bastrop) is OK but their sides(of the ones i like) arent great. Their stuffed baked potato is pretty damn good though. Southside(elgin) i had with some biker friends and thought their ribs were good.

Not a huge brisket guy and most of these places i cant eat the sides cause im a picky prick and nobody does mashed taters.(usually just tater salad and im not a fan)

but yeah, everyone tells me about all these other places but when i go out with friends its usually to a few beer bars then a food truck or somewhere downtown with bar food. (or bangers, love bangers)

7. Lutter

Lutter

I wanna say it's 10lbs or more. They have a separate window you can walk up to and leave.

Standing in line there is impossible. kmello69 has had some luck going in early afternoon after the line has dissipated, but YMMV.

MatthewPlus likes this.
  8. DougOLis

DougOLis

They have some vacuum sealed ones you can just get to go too. I've had it a couple of times and it's good but not quite the same.

MatthewPlus likes this.
  9. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

Serious question (and feel free to move this to the serious business thread)...

Why no pork?

I understand that beef and particularly brisket forms the backbone of Texas BBQ but why would we want to limit ourselves to that? It reminds me of Herr-ber-dude that excludes plenty of very good beer because it is not a traditional German example.

10. air

air

Smitty's (when they are on, no one touches them) > Kerlin (mostly due to consistent quality and zero lines) > LA BBQ > Franklin > John Mueller > Snow's > Terry Black's > Pecan Lodge > Kreuz/Black's/Louie Mueller/City Market (they're more or less similar to me)

Then the quality significantly drops: Lockhart Smokehouse > Killen's > Rudy's, etc

I haven't been to Stiles Switch and Micklethwait yet but I'm sure that'll change soon.

nathanmiller likes this.
  11. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

I prefer pork to brisket because brisket can be so damn fatty. Burnt ends are the best thing ever though when done right.

12. Lutter

Lutter

Read the title: "Texas BBQ thread".

We don't do pig in Texas. Except sometimes Ribs. But even then we prefer Beef Ribs.

quirkzoo likes this.
  13. Lutter

Lutter

Best BBQ item in Texas, IMHO...

[​IMG]

Beef ribs at Pecan Lodge in Dallas, TX.

Dat bark.

14. Lutter

Lutter

Pecan Lodge is also home of my wife's favorite BBQ adjunct dish:

[​IMG]

The Hot Mess. Sweet potato stuffed with barbacoa, cheese and topped with chipotle cream.

Hnnnnngh.

nanobrew, deuce9259 and JRBecks like this.
  15. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

I understand this. My question is why is Texas BBQ so exclusive to Bos Taurus? Ranching history? Climate less conducive to raising pigs? The reality that everything is bigger in Texas and therefore a 500lb animal is not nearly big enough?

16. Lutter

Lutter

There's just cows fucking everywhere here.

Doc, exitmusic00 and lurchingbeast like this.
  17. miikezombie

miikezombie

Franklin's pre-orders are for 5lbs. But both times I have tried, my order was rejected. Probably due to only being in Austin holiday weekends.

MatthewPlus and cfh64 like this.
  18. Lutter

Lutter

I'm gonna need to do that one of these days. The one time I had Franklin was at the Texas Monthly BBQ Fest (which is fucking awesome, btw) and I wasn't really impressed at all...

19. primebeer

primebeer

Pecan Lodge ftw. Only place in Dallas I had barbecue actually. Went on a Tuesday for lunch and my friends whined about getting there at 10:30 for the 11am open. We got there about 10th in line and there were about 150 by the time they opened. Barbecue did not disappoint.

lambandtunaphish likes this.
  20. miikezombie

miikezombie

I haven't had Franklin's yet. Typically do LA Barbecue due to the shorter line. But I feel they have dropped off a bit since John Lewis left. Still tasty though.