The Texas BBQ Thread (no Pork allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years back i waited in line like 3 hours on the blacktop in June for Franklin's. I figured when in Rome...
Brisket was dope.
I was really, really hungover that day though... I thought i might die.
I believe though that you can call for pickup for orders over a certain dollar amount or weight or something?

I'll be back in Austin in July, maybe i'll check it out again.

we had a spot open 2 weeks ago right down the street from me who has legit brisket that rivals anything i've had in TX. super excited.

Ill never get to franklins, too old and cranky to stand in a line.

I really need to take a weekend and jump to some of these BBQ places. Ive been to blacks(lockhart) because its close to me and love their beef rib thats as big as my friggin head. Southside(new one here in Bastrop) is OK but their sides(of the ones i like) arent great. Their stuffed baked potato is pretty damn good though. Southside(elgin) i had with some biker friends and thought their ribs were good.

Not a huge brisket guy and most of these places i cant eat the sides cause im a picky prick and nobody does mashed taters.(usually just tater salad and im not a fan)

but yeah, everyone tells me about all these other places but when i go out with friends its usually to a few beer bars then a food truck or somewhere downtown with bar food. (or bangers, love bangers)

I believe though that you can call for pickup for orders over a certain dollar amount or weight or something?
I wanna say it's 10lbs or more. They have a separate window you can walk up to and leave.

Standing in line there is impossible. kmello69 has had some luck going in early afternoon after the line has dissipated, but YMMV.

A few years back i waited in line like 3 hours on the blacktop in June for Franklin's. I figured when in Rome...
Brisket was dope.
I was really, really hungover that day though... I thought i might die.

I'll be back in Austin in July, maybe i'll check it out again.

They have some vacuum sealed ones you can just get to go too. I've had it a couple of times and it's good but not quite the same.

Serious question (and feel free to move this to the serious business thread)...

Why no pork?

I understand that beef and particularly brisket forms the backbone of Texas BBQ but why would we want to limit ourselves to that? It reminds me of Herr-ber-dude that excludes plenty of very good beer because it is not a traditional German example.

Smitty's (when they are on, no one touches them) > Kerlin (mostly due to consistent quality and zero lines) > LA BBQ > Franklin > John Mueller > Snow's > Terry Black's > Pecan Lodge > Kreuz/Black's/Louie Mueller/City Market (they're more or less similar to me)

Then the quality significantly drops: Lockhart Smokehouse > Killen's > Rudy's, etc

I haven't been to Stiles Switch and Micklethwait yet but I'm sure that'll change soon.

Why no pork?

I understand that beef and particularly brisket forms the backbone of Texas BBQ but why would we want to limit ourselves to that? It reminds me of Herr-ber-dude that excludes plenty of very good beer because it is not a traditional German example.
I prefer pork to brisket because brisket can be so damn fatty. Burnt ends are the best thing ever though when done right.

Best BBQ item in Texas, IMHO...

Pecan-Lodge-3.jpeg.jpg

Beef ribs at Pecan Lodge in Dallas, TX.

Dat bark.

Read the title: "Texas BBQ thread".

We don't do pig in Texas. Except sometimes Ribs. But even then we prefer Beef Ribs.

I understand this. My question is why is Texas BBQ so exclusive to Bos Taurus? Ranching history? Climate less conducive to raising pigs? The reality that everything is bigger in Texas and therefore a 500lb animal is not nearly big enough?

I wanna say it's 10lbs or more. They have a separate window you can walk up to and leave.

Standing in line there is impossible. kmello69 has had some luck going in early afternoon after the line has dissipated, but YMMV.
Franklin's pre-orders are for 5lbs. But both times I have tried, my order was rejected. Probably due to only being in Austin holiday weekends.

Franklin's pre-orders are for 5lbs. But both times I have tried, my order was rejected. Probably due to only being in Austin holiday weekends.
I'm gonna need to do that one of these days. The one time I had Franklin was at the Texas Monthly BBQ Fest (which is ****ing awesome, btw) and I wasn't really impressed at all...

Best BBQ item in Texas, IMHO...

Pecan-Lodge-3.jpeg.jpg

Beef ribs at Pecan Lodge in Dallas, TX.

Dat bark.
Pecan Lodge ftw. Only place in Dallas I had barbecue actually. Went on a Tuesday for lunch and my friends whined about getting there at 10:30 for the 11am open. We got there about 10th in line and there were about 150 by the time they opened. Barbecue did not disappoint.

I'm gonna need to do that one of these days. The one time I had Franklin was at the Texas Monthly BBQ Fest (which is ****ing awesome, btw) and I wasn't really impressed at all...
I haven't had Franklin's yet. Typically do LA Barbecue due to the shorter line. But I feel they have dropped off a bit since John Lewis left. Still tasty though.

I've been to most of the famous bbq joints in TX and my biggest problem with ALL of them is consistency. I understand its hard to be consistent with bbq because there are so many different variables but nothing pisses me off more than getting some great bbq one week, month, whatever from a certain place and then its nowhere the same next time. Its really hard for me to judge which is best due to that reason.

For example, first time I went to Franklins when he was still slanging out of the trailer it was top 5 bbq I've ever had, 2nd time same, 3rd and 4th at new location...not so much. There's actually a place a couple miles from my house, Hutchins, that has been gaining more and more recognition. With regard to their brisket, they are more consistent than not, and when they're on I'd put them right up there with the best.

I haven't had Franklin's yet. Typically do LA Barbecue due to the shorter line. But I feel they have dropped off a bit since John Lewis left. Still tasty though.

They've dropped off even more since the guy who replaced Lewis left as well. Went there in March - was NOT impressed.

I found Pecan Lodge inedible - overwhelming use of mesquite makes the meat so smoky its not enjoyable to eat. My wife and son felt the same way. Perhaps it was an off day, but I'm unlikely to go back.

Franklin is untouchable on brisket and turkey, but comparable to many other places otherwise, and weak on sides. But that ****ing brisket - no one else is even close.

Dollars to donuts, Terry Blacks is the best place thats open normal hours, has parking, and you can just walk in to and be eating within 5 minutes.

I'm also still a big fan of J. Mueller - thick pepper crust and great sides are right up my alley.

Why no pork?

fwiw this franklins place seems to have plenty of pork on their menu

They've dropped off even more since the guy who replaced Lewis left as well. Went there in March - was NOT impressed.

I found Pecan Lodge inedible - overwhelming use of mesquite makes the meat so smoky its not enjoyable to eat. My wife and son felt the same way. Perhaps it was an off day, but I'm unlikely to go back.

Franklin is untouchable on brisket and turkey, but comparable to many other places otherwise, and weak on sides. But that ****ing brisket - no one else is even close.

Dollars to donuts, Terry Blacks is the best place thats open normal hours, has parking, and you can just walk in to and be eating within 5 minutes.

I'm also still a big fan of J. Mueller - thick pepper crust and great sides are right up my alley.
That is too bad. I haven't been to La Barbecue since Thanksgiving.

I was really underwhelmed with Pecan Lodge too. It was good, but not mind blowing. They did sell out of beef ribs right when it was my turn though, so I will need to give them another chance.

Why no pork?

The BBQ trends grew around what was easily available. Texas grows a lot of cattle and historically could be bought comparably cheap right from the butchers/processors. Not a lot of pig farming in Texas and not as much wild pig outside of the eastern part of the state. People tend to adhere to local food traditions. It's like asking why they don't serve enchiladas in French restaurants. Sure, they could serve enchiladas but people don't go to French restaurants looking for non-French cuisine.

The BBQ trends grew around what was easily available. Texas grows a lot of cattle and historically could be bought comparably cheap right from the butchers/processors. Not a lot of pig farming in Texas and not as much wild pig outside of the eastern part of the state. People tend to adhere to local food traditions. It's like asking why they don't serve enchiladas in French restaurants. Sure, they could serve enchiladas but people don't go to French restaurants looking for non-French cuisine.
im gonna have to request another analogy

So turkey is Texas bbq, but pork isn't?
post-18879-Jon-Hamm-Yeah-Ok-gif-1dnC.gif

Back