US - Southwest The Texas BBQ Thread (no Pork allowed)

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Lutter, May 19, 2016.

1. JonathanAmes

JonathanAmes

Tell us about the time your stoned ass drove two hours to B's & it was closed.

2. Moegreen

Moegreen

You need to start another thread for black BBQ, I used to live between Burns BBQ and Petrol Station, that was an unbelievable location. Burns is closed on Monday too.

3. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

The whole story involved a homeless man, 2 prostitutes, having to rent a car after losing keys and ended up at a backwoods strip joint in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry for partying.

4. thejukes

thejukes

Texas has the beef BBQ game on lock. Sidenote: they're also basically the only ones in that game. Smoking a pork shoulder is infinitely easier than a brisket. Pork is basically impossible to screw up, and brisket is the opposite.

After having lived in NM, TX, AR, SC, AZ, GA, TX again, and AR again, I will declare TX style BBQ (salt & pepper + oak smoke) is my preference. However, a good fatty brisket only just edges out a simply done (salt, pepper, brown sugar) pork butt on hickory smoke.

5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast

I like my brisket with super creamy mac & cheese baked on top.

[​IMG]

Jnorton00, FTowne and thejukes like this.
  6. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

You have truly lived in a lot of awful places.

Trady, Jnorton00, nsh221 and 9 others like this.
  7. thejukes

thejukes

This is a fact. The price I paid for securing our nation's joke ass border. It helped me learn that your situation/location is what you make of it.

I really like living in AR. (Guilty Pleasures cross post?)

8. ASUBeer

ASUBeer

I'm not looking to start a debate but whole hog is where it's at. Shoulder, ribs, ham, cheek meat. That's how you do pork.

Also, as MordorMongo mentioned, damn you've lived in some terrible places.

xpimptastikx, joe, Five28 hz and 5 others like this.
  9. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

You are actually looking for the NOPE thread.

Ryan_G and thejukes like this.
  10. thejukes

thejukes

I've had whole hog a few times, and I agree. I would assume most people don't have the resources/time to do whole hog every time they want some bbq pork. A couple friends and I are planning to do one soon, though.

You guys don't know what you're talking about. Arkansas is a great place to live.

h8erz

11. thejukes

thejukes

Don't make me start an Arkansas thread where I sit in there by myself eating rice and soybeans while I call them Hogs from the Clinton Presidential Library.

12. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Literally no one would care.

Arkansas is only surpassed by Iowa and Indiana in terms of places no fucking body cares about.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  13. FTowne

FTowne

Missouri would like a word with you.

Trady, joe, willseph and 2 others like this.
  14. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Missouri is 4th and closing fast. Mississippi and Alabama on your tail. If they didn't have "coasts" you'd be in trouble.

joe, thejukes and FTowne like this.
  15. boogercrack

boogercrack

In college for football tailgate hogs we'd just throw a tarp down in a bath tub and put in the salted pig on Thursdays then cart the smoker out on Friday and fire it up. This would probably only fly in a house of dudes though.

Go Wolfpack!

That was all before those fools shot some guys in the tailgate grounds and you could camp out at the fairgrounds all night long for a Saturday game with no restriction. When that happened out car was in the police barricade and we had to get rides home :(

joe, ehammond1 and preacher like this.
  16. thejukes

thejukes

That's how we like it.

I would argue we are tied with Wyoming, Oklahoma, Utah, and all parts of NV that aren't Las Vegas.

17. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

Meant to say Drew's not Brews. Freaking autocorrect.

18. preacher

preacher

Never thought about that technique of brining/marinating.. I will have to use it.

Ryan_G likes this.
  19. JohnnyNC

JohnnyNC

Midwood Smokehouse, Queen Ciy Q, and Saucemanns are at the top of my list for Charlotte

Gonzoillini, JulianB and ASUBeer like this.
  20. Hookemhops13

Hookemhops13

Hey Austinites, is Franklin's swamped on Fridays? What time should I arrive if I wanted to be safe?

Lutter