US - Southwest The Texas BBQ Thread (no Pork allowed)

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Lutter, May 19, 2016.

1. MordorMongo

MordorMongo

Yesterday

Gonzoillini, air and Lutter like this.
  2. Lutter

Lutter

7am, lol.

Apparently people have had luck going after 11am, when they open, and following in after the line, at least according to kmello69

3. Hookemhops13

Hookemhops13

Ok so screw that. Too lazy to read through all this. Gimme some other places to try. Probably making a day trip from Houston tomorrow.

blatherbeard likes this.
  4. Heretic

Heretic

J Mueller or just drive to Taylor or Lockhart. I don't know if I can recommend La BBQ yet. I've heard about consistency issues since they got their new pitmaster.

5. air

air

Think you got it backwards. J Mueller is the inconsistent place lately.

On a friday, LA bbq will still have a line, but at least it's not as absurd as the Franklin one. Micklethwait is a solid pick too (bonus points for bread made in house)

Then there is the place I always suggest that is consistent in both quality and never having lines, however no one ever seems to take the suggestion, so perhaps not.

6. likesbeer

likesbeer

I will take your suggestions. I'll be in Austin labor day weekend and I need the meat.

7. Lutter

Lutter

Stiles Switch?

8. air

air

Kerlin... and gotta be honest, part of me worries about how much business they get considering there is never, ever a wait.

Though I will try Stiles Switch soon since I work nearby.

And updating on what I'd posted a while back to throw in Micklethwait now that I tried 'em:
    Smitty's > Kerlin > LA BBQ > Franklin > Micklethwait > John Mueller > Snow's > Terry Black's > Pecan Lodge > Kreuz/Black's/Louie Mueller/City Market

likesbeer likes this.
  9. Lutter

Lutter

My wife doesn't like it for some reason, but I think they're a really solid option in North Austin with no wait ever.

10. kmello69

kmello69

Last week they Tweeted at 2:30pm and said they had plenty of brisket and no line. I almost ran down there. It might not happen every day, but since they added a lot more pits, they often have meat into the afternoon with little to no line.

In terms of "walk in the door and grab BBQ with no wait" no place in town is better than Terry Blacks. Pretty much my go-to for BBQ now

blatherbeard likes this.
  11. thejukes

thejukes

Rudy's is the best, and you can fill up your car with gas.

Next best option after that would be to get a McRib.

12. wolfman1201

wolfman1201

[​IMG]

Gonzoillini and lambandtunaphish like this.
  13. blatherbeard

blatherbeard

coming up from houston if you take 71 through bastrop id detour to blacks in lockhart if youve never been. Not the bestest but very good stuff.

i recommend the beef rib as big as the flinstones.

14. Lutter

Lutter

Hey man, Rudy's is actually really good for a chain.

Their Smoked Potato stuffed with Brisket at the New Braunfel's location is one of the things I just have to have after a day at Schlitterbahn.

I'd take that ahead of some of the more famous Austin locales (Salt Lick, Iron Works, Stubb's). If we're gonna make fun of drive-thru brisket, let's make fun of Bill Miller BBQ.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    blatherbeard likes this.
  15. thejukes

thejukes

I was just trying to provoke BBQ elitists.

Rudy's is basically all we had in Laredo. When it was on, it was pretty good. They had major consistency issues, though. Several times I got inedible rubberband brisket.

16. Lutter

Lutter

Maybe it's because they're now based here and I go to the "flagship" location most of the time on 183 (right next to their corporate office ;) )

I imagine the bosses eat there every day, so they're tending not the fuck it up.

17. thejukes

thejukes

I've eaten at a few locations that have always been pretty damn good. The Laredo one was just characteristically Laredo-y. Everything that opens there eventually sucks.

18. JGlitz87

JGlitz87

Just went to Slow Bones for the first time. The meat is good (not in Pecan Lodge's class IMO), but those sides are killer. Very impressed and will be back.

19. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

Just left The Pit Room....prolly the best I've had in Houston.

boogercrack likes this.
  20. boogercrack

boogercrack

I mentioned this in the TX thread, but tomorrow I'll be in town looking to pick up lunch for 9 people.

Ideally somewhere close to downtown, with as little expected wait as possible for the best bang on the brisket.

I asked about Micklethwait but would LA BBQ be a possibility? I've been wanting to try them for a while. I haven't been to Austin in years.

Other suggestions?

Staying on Rainey.