US - Southwest The TEXAS thread!

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by HopAG, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Phischy

Phischy

Bad business model and now begging for customers. I guess their nearly invisible carbon footprint and living wages are costing them. Maybe roasted celery isn't selling well?

I have no idea who or what they're about, but that post tells me all I need to know.

As far as living wages and the restaurant biz go, read the articles about CA and their issues with the rising minimum wage recently. Most are starting to impliment a 3% surcharge for "government mandated expenses" and so far the wages have only gone up $0.50. Imagine what happens when the other $4.50 kicks in.

SirDickButts likes this.
  2. thejukes

thejukes

They selling ideology or beer? Make good stuff, and people will buy it.

3. air

air

Food/beer wasn't anything impressive so it's never really a destination for me. Also sounds like they're using the living wage/no tipping argument as an excuse to just not bother with even decent service.

Either way, I don't really give a shit about bad service, but that logic is beyond me.

4. Lutter

Lutter

I do when people take a decade to bring out my beer or food.

mattchow and SirDickButts like this.
  5. THRILLHOUSE

THRILLHOUSE

I think Black Star is ok and used to go there a decent amount in their early days. But there are just so many more, and better, options now that I don't really make a trip there.

SirDickButts likes this.
  6. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

maybe I should buy their business and slang whales, bruh...

but nah. I've been there a few times...I also never tried their beer. Oops.

7. shelf_turd_ferguson

shelf_turd_ferguson

I've been to Black Star a few times and liked the few beers I've had. Food has always been good, and service seemed fine. Maybe I'm in the minority on that. With new places opening, such as PHP, the marketplace has gotten harder to stay afloat in. I'm surprised that a place like Black Star is in trouble before more mediocre places like Thirsty Planet or Twisted X, but what may be the difference is the latters' off-premise sales (bottles, lots of kegs). They might be making good stuff, but most people haven't visited and can't buy it around town.

You just like bashing on anything Texas. We get it. Cool Schtick. Keep on bashing places with your uninformed opinions.

8. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

Agree here. The stuff I've had from them has been good, certainly. I think off-premise helps a LOT with cashflow. Even if you're making mediocre beer (and I think very few of the beers I had there were mediocre), you can find bars that will host a keg once in a while. For every beer bar that carefully curates selection, there's hundreds of sports bars willing to stock "one of the craft kegs folks sometimes ask for" that have yet to have that tap filled by another local brewery.

I'm sad but not surprised to hear this news. I'm a fan of the co-op model if it can work, but definitely think off-premise is their achilles heel here. Co-op nearly always requires absurd external sales traffic to really thrive, or such a large runway that bad times can be weathered and good times can acquire more owner-members.

shelf_turd_ferguson likes this.
  9. Lutter

Lutter

Their Amber is the bestseller at our bar (Pearl Snap is #2 followed by LO Hef).

Theyre also about to upgrade to a new brewery on S Congress.

Just sayin. They bank.

10. Phischy

Phischy

By the time any business is doing crowd funding to stay afloat, they're already in deep trouble. And I was relating it to the nonsense the entire state of CA is starting to go through. It has nothing to do with TX.

11. Lutter

Lutter

Gonna hit up Idle Vine Brewing tonight, which just opened in Pflugerville literally 1.5 miles from our place.

Crossing my fingers it doesn't suck.

BGsWo22 and Phischy like this.
  12. BGsWo22

BGsWo22

What's the verdict? Thinking of going tomorrow

13. Lutter

Lutter

Meh.

I'd give them a couple months.

Pretty nice taproom though. Only their 4 "core" beers are available.

IPA was pretty malty.

Porter thin and looked like cola.

They >could< improve???? They had like 20 tap handles so, I suppose, by opening day (1/28) they could have more beers on.

I dunno. Pours are $5. It's not a huge commitment to just go and check it out.

The fact that it's Day 2 and they already had beers Barrel aging... and the core beers weren't already spectacular was sort of alarming. Ha.

Huge 30bbl system in there. You can tell they're well financed.

mwbbq likes this.
  14. DougOLis

DougOLis

That's essentially what every other developed (and developing!) nation on earth does; just means you won't have to pay as much in tips anymore.

air likes this.
  15. Phischy

Phischy

And service generally suffers. I've never been impressed with the service at a restaurant who's done it.

16. Lutter

Lutter

New Belgium does the same in their taproom and their service is always spectacular.

rainer likes this.
  17. BGsWo22

BGsWo22

I checked them out today. Hopefully the future will be better

18. Phischy

Phischy

Aren't they all partial owners? They have a stake in the company. Which is different than a server earning an auto 20%. Different motivation and buy in from emloyees.

There aren't that many places that don't do tipping and include a service fee. So the same size is small. But I do object to 20% being the new minimum standard.

19. Lutter

Lutter

Damn. This is a fine coffee beer.

[​IMG]

$6.99/6pk at H-E-B right now too.

20. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72

Grabbed a few beers as ABW today. Double Unicycle (Collab with New Belgium) was damn good... Really looking forward to it being released. Cans themselves are beautiful as well. They told me 600 cases (same as Sputnik). Also heard another wave of Bloodwork Orange should be released very soon.

Also... Get your ass out to ABW, so many beers on tap. At least 20-25 by my count.