US - Southwest The TEXAS thread!

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by HopAG, Oct 24, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. Lutter

Lutter

It's complicated.

You can sell beer-to-go as a "brewpub" license. This is limited to 10,000 bbl per location. You can fill growlers, sell other peoples' beer (by adding a retailer permit), sell crowlers... pretty much do whatever you want. You can't self-distribute the beer and need to go through a distributor to sell beer off-property. Brewpubs don't necessarily sell food either as it's not required.

You can't sell beer-to-go at a "manufacturing" brewery. You can make as much beer to your heart's content under this license (heck, we have a Bud AND a MillerCoors factory here in this state) HOWEVER you cannot sell ANY beer to go. You can not sell beer on premises either if your brewery makes more than 225,000 bbls of beer unless you are grandfathered in as well (open pre-2017). Big thing for these folks is that they're also allowed to self-distribute up to 40,000 bbls and don't necessarily need a distributor and can skip those costs (Austin Beerworks and Live Oak Brewing, for instance, self-distribute all their beer themselves). Manufacturing breweries can also have restaurants on-site (Saint Arnold has a gigantic restaurant for instance)

To show exactly how corrupted lawmakers in this state have been in this state in the past by distributor lobbyists regarding beer... here is my favorite beer law ever be passed in Texas:

"[in 1990] A bill was passed allowing the sale of alcohol in a marine park, even in the case where the business was owned by the holder of a manufacturer's license or brewer's permit. Conditions of the rule stated that the marine park must have a restricted access area between 245 and 255 acres in a county with a population greater than 950,000." http://www.beerinbigd.com/p/timeline-of-beer-legislation-in-texas.html

... exactly the size of SeaWorld San Antonio, owned by AB at the time, lol. Since taken off the books (on-premises sales at manufacturing licensed breweries like Bud was allowed in 2013 and made it moot).

The kicker Josh is that all wineries AND distilleries offer sales to go here. It's sorta fucking ridiculous.

One of the biggest distributor lobbying groups this session (Wholesale Distributors of Texas) is using a main debate in their literature that most craft breweries don't make more than 10,000 bbl and they should just be brewpubs, sell on-site, not make any more beer, sell to them (as they must) to expand beyond their 4 walls, and basically STFU about it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  2. Josh

Josh Premium Non-Supporting Supporter Staff Member Contributor

That's crazy.
    In hindsight, I didnt think anything of Balcones having a tasting bar and bottles to go.

Montana breweries cant sell pre-packaged beer to go either. Growlers are totally fine though. None of those that I go to do crowlers either, cause Montana.

Lutter likes this.
  3. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4

IMG_20190330_201136.jpg
    Thanks for the recommendation, this is pretty fantastic.

jbeezification and Lutter like this.
  4. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72

Wasn’t Oskar Blues supposed to be brewing Jai Alai or did I make that up?

Checked a can of Jai Alai for fun the other day at my local H-E-B and it was brewed in December...

IndianaJones likes this.
  5. Phischy

Phischy

I believe they are. But there's a massive glut of old beer rotting on the shelves. I feel lucky if I find anything fresher than 3 months.

Craft beer is killing itself with shitty supply chains.

Turfy and jbeezification like this.
  6. jbeezification

jbeezification

Can someone point me to the Real Ale can date system? They still do best by and I don’t remember if it was 60 or 90 days for Axis

7. Lutter

Lutter

In the beginning it was coming from Tampa but it’s all made here now.

Marshall Zhukov is currently turding on shelves too. If they think we’re gonna buy $17 bottles of non BA stout when there is a $5 bottle of just as good (imho) Lagunitas Imperial Stout right next to it I don’t know where their heads are at.

BigFrank and jbeezification like this.
  8. Mindtrip2012

Mindtrip2012

Gonna be in Houston for a few days starting Saturday. What’s the best spot for singles?? Specs? Staying downtown.

9. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

Specs for sure...and if you wanna go the small business route, check out D&Q which is close by as well. The taco truck out front is legit too. I always get the cemitas w/ pork and chipotle on torta bread. Further down the street (Richmond Ave.) Is the Pitroom. Solid BBQ .

EDIT:

and if you do goto the Pitroom, ask for the "crack mac." It's not on the menu, but you won't be disappointed.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  10. jbeezification

jbeezification

I’m just seeing this. How’d it go?

Mindtrip2012 likes this.
  11. Mindtrip2012

Mindtrip2012

Good man. Drank my weight in Yellow Rose on tap and snagged a few singles from D & Q. That place definitely has a diverse selection. I fudged up by not going to The Pit Room, the BBQ I had elsewhere was......mediocre. Checked out St. Arnold’s, True Anomaly, and 8th Wonder cause I didn’t have time to stray too far from downtown.

jbeezification likes this.
  12. Lutter

Lutter

13. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster

The change in law is a good thing but RIP in pieces to your palates for all the terrible haze tubes and wortbatter awful Texas breweries are going to sell to-go.

14. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

Amazing word.

15. boogercrack

boogercrack

i take it you are familiar with Ingeneous Brewing

16. air

air

Also see Sigma Brewing, where a bartender proclaimed they were better than Trillium

boogercrack likes this.
  17. boogercrack

boogercrack

yikes. the only sigma ive had was from the kegerator at my barbershop. i can't give them a fair shake, but that's a pretty bold.

air likes this.
  18. air

air

I'll put this way: it's one of the few breweries where I asked to try a few tasters, left some cash as tip, then just walked out without drinking anything.

19. boogercrack

boogercrack

I see you haven't tried True Anomaly yet.

20. Lutter

Lutter

On the other hand it opens up Live Oak Brewing crowlers.

They have so many beers they've never canned or even really distribute to bars.

Der Fuchs and jbeezification like this.