Canada The Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by yasky, Aug 13, 2014.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. yasky

yasky

Figure we could use one of these. Let me start by stating the following:

There are NO Cantillon bottles for sale for you to take home anywhere in the city. Not the LCBO, Beer Store, or any corner store..... Or anywhere the province of Ontario for that matter. Beerbistro, Volo and a few others may have some available for consumption on premise (at restaurant prices), but any bottles in Toronto that are not at those places are quietly sitting in all our cellars. And we likely got them from guys in BC, Alberta or Quebec.

Breweries: Bellwoods is tops, but Great Lakes has some great hoppy offerings, Indie Alehouse is up and coming, and Amsterdam can occasionally hit one out of the park. Visiting the breweries to buy their beers is the best way to go. Should note that none of them are in walking distance of eachother. If you time your visit right Bellwoods will have a reserve series bottle for sale and Great Lakes could have cans or bottles of anything.

Bars: Bar Hop, Volo, Bellwoods, and Wvrst are definitely worth checking out. Bar Hop probably has the best taplist, while Volo has a darned good bottle selection. and yes, they are serious about wanting 30 bucks for Upright 6. Once you get north of Lawrence your options decrease significantly so you probably want to stick to the downtown.

Stores: LCBO and Beer Store both have selections that would be laughed at in most states. LCBO should at least have a couple interesting imports and a few good micros from Ontario and the rest of Canada. Beer Store is owned by Labbatt Sleeman and Molson and the selection prettymuch reflects this. Most of the microbreweries here sell their bottles on location.

Sports: Catching a baseball game? Get your drink on before or after as the Macros have a monopoly on all the taps. Same thing if you want to watch the Leafs or the Raptors. We're still decades behind the US on things like this in Ontario.

2. KeKeKumba

KeKeKumba

3. oldp0rt

oldp0rt

4. zimbo

zimbo

There was once a Belgian beer bar in Tranna that served bottles of Cantillon in the late 80s. Don't think it lasted long but they did serve Rose de Gambrinus.

5. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

It's still real. Beer Bistro usually has bottles. Until a few months ago they had a nice little supply of Lou Pepe Framboise (750mL, '07).

$31.

Srs.

Last time I was in they had classic geuze for about $15 for little bottles.

There were some RdG at Bar Hop recently as well.

cosmicevan and zimbo like this.
  6. quirk6

quirk6

I'm going to be in Toronto this weekend for Fan Expo. Any recommendations for food and beer are appreciated, especially around the Metro Toronto Convention Center. Thanks.

7. Jaminjohnson

Jaminjohnson

Considering coming up the weekend of the 14th and hit Bellwoods and whatnot if anyone has any updated suggestions on lodging/breweries etc

8. Wagon Circler

Wagon Circler

Anything happening in toronto since this thread was created besides bellwoods?

9. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Folly Brewpub is putting out some nice farmhouses. They aren't far from Bellwoods.
    Also Burdock. They're doing a variety of styles decently executed. Also closer to Bellwoods.

When I have time I'll put together a proper post on the Toronto scene and locations to visit.

In the meantime.... more Bellwoods.

10. kzeon

kzeon

Had my 2 first Burdock this weekend, was decent. Pretty eager to see more about them.

Marc likes this.
  11. olympuszymurgus

olympuszymurgus

Anybody else drink too much cask HoTD Adam at cask fest?

bdemarco likes this.
  12. Jb123

Jb123

Heading here in September for a day. Bellwoods seems to be top dog??? Best ramen spot???

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    thebandit1 and quirk6 like this.
  13. Liam

Liam

Bellwoods is your top bet, yes.

Best ramen in Toronto is Sansotei Ramen, they have three locations I believe. Tonkotsu Black is money.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Jb123 likes this.
  14. HevvyMetalHippie

HevvyMetalHippie

Headed to visit friends up here in early/mid Sept.

Bellwoods
    Great Lakes
    Folly
    Burdock

Blood Brothers? - Someone just mentioned this
    Junction?
    Halo?

What else is there to do up there? I've never been to Canada and the person we're visiting has only been there for a few months. She's Canadian by birth but from somewhere else I guess? It can't be a beer only trip, so there's that :\

15. quirk6

quirk6

I'm also going to be in Toronto soon. Aug 31- Sept 4. I'll be near the Convention Center (since I'm going to something in the convention center). Last time I was there my hotel room overlooked a pilsner only brewery called Steam Whistle. I never tried it while I was there. I don't think I had Bellwoods, either. I can't remember what I did have because I don't use data in Canada so those are beers I haven't checked into on untappd.

16. kzeon

kzeon

Bellwoods is always the best option. Burdock is doing nice things lately and has improved a lot in the past year. Great Lakes is on and off, but not 100% worth it to seek out IMO. Blood Brothers are fine, but I can't say I was flabbergasted with what I had so far.

Steam Whistle is quite macro and to be avoided. No time to be wasted there.

As I've said, Bellwoods is Ontario's best. Usually have good stuff on the deck. Regarding what is to go, its on and off :)

quirk6 and HevvyMetalHippie like this.
  17. quirk6

quirk6

Where does one buy beer in Toronto?

18. kzeon

kzeon

Either at the brewery or in LCBO (the government liquor board). Prices are usually quite good at LCBO, but don't expect a huge huge selection either, like you would get in the US bottle shop. There's also the Beer Stores.

quirk6 likes this.
  19. yasky

yasky

Buffalo ;)

Marc, ckoop and quirk6 like this.
  20. PSUMike

PSUMike

Getting called up for business tomorrow into Friday. What place has the best selection for take home?