Canada The Toronto Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by yasky, Aug 13, 2014.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. yasky

yasky

Bellwoods should have a few bottles available. Great Lakes and Burdock probably have something interesting kicking around as well.

2. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Bringing this back to life as Bellwoods just announced they are opening their online shop to sell and ship beer throughout the province. Total game changer.

There are others already doing it (Left Field, HHOE, Collective Arts, etc) but these guys doing it is big for them and for everyone else. Odd as they are affiliated with Shelton Bros now. Wondering if the exporting thing isn't as lucrative as shipping in province. Don't care. Just happy to go to my mailbox to get my hops vs driving 4hrs.

The entitled locals in the comments is expected and very typical even in Canada.

ckoop, kzeon and oldp0rt like this.
  3. ckoop

ckoop

Yeah, I laughed hard at the few people whining about having less access. I mean their special releases have been turding up the two bottle shops for weeks now and the locals are worried? Torontonians are the best (worst).

Side note. Do you really prefer their hops to the Old Nation you can get down across the border? Personally, I can't stand their hoppy beers as they are so inconsistent and often have a horrendous burn to them. I can't be bothered to gamble that they are going to deliver a good ipa anymore, just been burned too many times at this point and I also have nice access to a growing number of breweries distro'd to western ny that are nailing their ipas (e.g., Captain Lawrence, Foreign Objects, and Industrial Arts).

kzeon and drinkypoo like this.
  4. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

I wouldn't rave about their hops as of late, no. Not compared to where they had been maybe 2 years ago. Not sure its the newer system they're still playing with, Luke being on the road all the time and not having direction oversight of whats being put out, or if they have a couple brewers still learning the ropes. I find they are definitely having noticeable batch variation. I don't get the burn you get, or at least not an undesireable one. Any burn I'm getting I've attributed to the yeast they've been using. I know there was a lot of Conan yeast a while back but not sure if they've migrated away from that or not.

Old Nation definitely has churned a more consistently better set last 12 months for sure.
    I just love the easy access, period. If they rerelease Grizzly Beer or Hellwoods I'll be a pig in dookie.

Edit: holy shit. Just looking at the Hafis list now.... still have BOYD, SKey Vanilla, the Cloudwater collabs... tons of pils, lagers, and other non-hops available. Pretty damn cool. Hope it lasts. ;)

OHLRangers, ckoop and kzeon like this.
  5. Futurepoop

Futurepoop