The unofficial investments thread

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by Rau71, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Rau71

Rau71

Is this taboo? Nobody talks about this, and I am not talking about Beer/Whiskey equity, but actual investments. What do you prefer? Stocks, bonds, real estate, illegal drugs? Why do you prefer these investments? What are the drawbacks that cause you to not use other methods? You know all the fun stuff. I figure that people with interest in stupid and expensive hobbies such as beer and whiskey would have money in other investments to support the habits in the future.

As for me, I am mostly in stocks, except some basic savings. I am not opposed to other options, but haven't done the research to jump in yet. So what do you say talkbeer?

2. jmgrub

jmgrub real Gs move in silence like lasagna Contributor

That's an interesting assumption. I assume that most people here have
    w̶a̶s̶t̶e̶d̶ invested so much money on beer that they have no money left for "traditional" investments.

3. Rau71

Rau71

That may be true. I thought it was equal to a decent expendable income, while still having investments. Maybe I missed on that, and most people here are all in on the beer equity.

lazerviking and jmgrub like this.
  4. mctizzz

mctizzz

I've been playing the stocks for the last few years. I'm pretty amateur and just try to buy shit when it's low and I think it will go up in the short term. I've been pretty lucky. I have no real financial responsibilities (house, children, school loans, car, wife...) other than feeding myself and paying rent, so feel I can afford to be risky. Bought into tsla (third or fourth time I've bought and sold this stock and I've always done well) a couple weeks ago in hopes gas prices would go up and the Model3 would cause a nice bump in the stock price at the same time. Neither has happened yet but the stock is up 25% since then, hoping for both to happen next month!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  5. Sage

Sage

Got a few investments although they’re all slow money makers and I really have no idea what I’m doing.
    • Two IRAs (one with my current job with 4% matching and one that I’ve had since I was 18).
    • Apple stock (holding it for long-term – playing the short-term game with Apple stock is impossible because wall street is dumb).
    • And just recently opened up a Wealthfront.com account – it’s a fully automated thing and free for the first $10k (here’s my referral link if you want to try it: http://wlth.fr/1OyCQ9B). It’s not making me any money yet but then neither did my IRA for the first few years that I had it.

Arbitrator, jmgrub, mctizzz and 3 others like this.
  6. Rau71

Rau71

I was looking at the acorn app recently. Similar premise of simple investing, but thier whole gig is to be a roundup account attached to checking. You spend 23.90, .10 is rounded into an investing account that is setup to your preferred tolerances. Could be cool, but I like doing the research on my investments.

Being a former oilfield worker my portfolio is pretty much oil based since that is what I knew. I am long on Chevron, CVX, and have been buying up more stocks at these low prices. I have some Phillips 66, PSX, but just a small amount. I am really looking for a few options out of the oil and gas sectors. I like dividends to reinvest, and stable companies. Been eyeing Verizon, VZ, and General Motors, GM.

beerindex, jmgrub and Sage like this.
  7. nanobrew

nanobrew

Honestly, my biggest investment is my house, only on a 15yr loan. Looking back and if I was smart at investing I probably should have stuck with a 30yr as the interest rates are really low and then invested the money elsewhere.

Otherwise, I just have company TSP (government 401K) that is matched at 5%. Plus I have a standard mutual fund Roth IRA. Everything else just goes to various savings accounts to build up a good nest before we start truly investing.

I will be watching this thread though as I am very naive in investing and would love to learn some pointers.

8. mctizzz

mctizzz

I also have a Roth IRA that I max out every year because thats what im supposed to do? No matching funds and I'm just as reckless with that as I am with my other investments, but I feel like a slightly more responsible human bc I have it.

9. jmgrub

jmgrub real Gs move in silence like lasagna Contributor

Who would've thought that Irish Red Ales were such a good investment?! And what is this Roth brewery that I've never heard of before?

10. Rau71

Rau71

A lot of love for Roth IRA over traditional. nanobrew and mctizzz do you think your investment will outgrow the taxes paid now, or that taxes will be higher in the future?

11. mctizzz

mctizzz

My taxes better be higher in the future, I work as a "grad student researcher" and get close to 100% of my taxes back. I don't know all the in's and out's of the Roth IRA, but my understanding is that since I'm "poor" now and don't plan to be in the future: the Roth IRA is for me!

mateoloco, Arbitrator and Rau71 like this.
  12. Rau71

Rau71

The Roth IRA is taxed now and none in the future. A traditional IRA is not taxed now, but is in the future. If you are retired when you withdrawal your Trax rate won't be that high either way probably.

sliverx likes this.
  13. hannydawg

hannydawg

Lottery tickets

sliverx, Phischy, Ziggy and 21 others like this.
  14. Rau71

Rau71

What is the ROI on that?

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  15. lambandtunaphish

lambandtunaphish

I've gotten fairly lucky with my company's Employee Stock Purchae Program.

Defer a % of your salary for 6 month periods and you get to buy @ 15% off the low at the beginning or end of period. Stock has grown quite a bit since I started, but wish I had put more in earlier.

Haven't sold a ton, but for sure doing better than my coworkers who have sold and not done much w the money. Most just see it as a free 15%, less taxes on the gains.

So what I'm saying is... If your company has something similar, look into it. Plenty of people I work with just don't know this is a thing.

16. Rau71

Rau71

It is amazing how many people skip out on employer backed benefit packages. Stock options, stock discounts, 401k matching programs. The more you save now the better you can live when you are making more money, because you don't have to catch up for retirement.

flexabull and mateoloco like this.
  17. Treebs

Treebs

Magic: The Gathering and company 4% match 401k.

18. Rau71

Rau71

Seems legit. Pogs and Beanie babies proved that I think.

lambandtunaphish likes this.
  19. Treebs

Treebs

Not sure if sarcastic or severely misinformed about the Magic investments game.

20. stupac2

stupac2

I have a Fidelity retirement account through work, and since I'm pretty far from retirement I've dumped all the money into their low-fee S&P-500 index fund. My wife is a bit more diversified with low-fee Vanguard bond and stock funds. Plus we've got the house, which is, at the very least, mandatory monthly savings.

Generally speaking the best thing to do with your money, on average, is dump it into funds like those and let it ride. You might get lucky picking stocks, but it's basically gambling. And transaction fees add up. If you're doing funds, look for ones that aren't actively managed (which are getting more common), because they have the lowest fees and, on average, the best performance. For your average American just stick something like 10% of your salary a year into a fund like that and you'll be golden, especially if you start young.