US - South-Atlantic The Veil Brewing Co. Opening In RVA

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by kingkong, Jun 12, 2015.

1. JulianB

JulianB

They're doing crowlers, maybe they just don't want to bother with growler fills. I have no idea what Virginia's growler laws are like. Anyone local want to chime in?

jivex5k likes this.
  2. franch

franch

Virginia allows growler fills.

Shilt likes this.
  3. JBPortland

JBPortland

Oh gotcha. Was not aware of the crowlers. So there will be at least one take home option if cans are sold out.

4. ncaudle

ncaudle

the last thing I saw from them about crowlers is a maybe, but pre-filled for special beers.

Shilt and JulianB like this.
  5. Shilt

Shilt

This is correct. Cans are the regular lineup/seasonal stuff, and pre-filled crowlers on some special stuff. Went Saturday and yesterday, and the IPA and DIPA are top notch. The dipa is hazy, and drinks smoothly for 8% with minimal bitterness. And the wheat ipa, is a perfect beer to crush during the summer. I was somewhat skeptical on how the beers would turn out the first time on that system, but Matt knows what he's doing, and I see it only getting better from here on out. I for one am excited to have this in RVA, and two miles from my house :)

6. Shilt

Shilt

Really the only issue of the day. I went early, stood in line for two hours and left as I had a prevous commitment for the afternoon. Came back with the wife at 530 and got beers and multiple 4 packs in minutes. Similar vibe yesterday.

7. Carolinabeerguy

Carolinabeerguy

I had Master Shredder, Dull Fangs and Crucial Taunt last night and all three were excellent. Really impressive for the first run of cans. They clearly have their recipes dialed in. Very impressed.

JBPortland, Shilt and mateoloco like this.
  8. ncaudle

ncaudle

from a couple of people associated with the brewery, there were no test/pilot batches.
    these were the first takes on the recipes.

Shilt likes this.
  9. Carolinabeerguy

Carolinabeerguy

Wow, that's insane.

10. pgh_penguins

pgh_penguins

Someone local hooked me up with a can of Crucial Taunt, can't wait to try it. Any word on what they are canning next?

11. Shilt

Shilt

Two new cans coming out Tuesday. They will probably announce on their facebook and/or twitter a day or two before that. Then on Wednesday they will be canning a small amount of a new batch of Crucial Taunt.

12. Shilt

Shilt

Correction. Two new drafts on Tuesday. Cans coming out Wednesday next week. Looks like one is the IdontwanttoBeU.

pgh_penguins likes this.
  13. ncaudle

ncaudle

curious what a 0 IBU 6.9% IPA tastes like...

Shilt likes this.
  14. Shilt

Shilt

I am as well. Will probably stop by Tuesday after work to taste it. May not be able to get cans this week due to a prior commitment Wednesday evening.

15. Espeer

Espeer

I'd like to stop by next week to pick up some cans. Do they sell out same day?

16. Shilt

Shilt

The "Limited Release" cans have sold out in about two hours or less on the past two Tuesdays. However, Master Shredder (wheat IPA) was still available yesterday. There will most certainly be a line at opening on Tuesday, but if you get there by 430-445, you should be fine. Just expect to wait a bit for cans.

mateoloco and Espeer like this.
  17. brian4beer

brian4beer

So glad they are starting out so well. Huge fan of Dustin Mopps as a person. Couldn't happen to a better guy

18. Os

Os Moderator / Master of Social Media Staff Member

yeah, I'm gonna need some cans soon.... very happy to see all the positive feedback

mateoloco likes this.
  19. Shilt

Shilt

I got you, man. Been too long since I've sent a box up your way. Just let me know which beers you want to try, and I'll put a package together. I stop by every Tuesday on my way home from work :)

Beerontwowheels and Os like this.
  20. Os

Os Moderator / Master of Social Media Staff Member

thanks, Sam!

Beerontwowheels likes this.