US - New England The Vermont Travel Guide

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by ilovermont, Oct 14, 2013.

1. cysiam

cysiam

Sadly, I doubt there are any left out there as they've stopped delivering them. I was up about a month ago and most places were running low.

2. FrenchBeerGeek

FrenchBeerGeek

Alchemist brewery the day after tomorow :)

BulkCarrier and MooltiPass like this.
  3. screwyouguys

screwyouguys

Bastards I leave Vermont tomorrow

MooltiPass likes this.
  4. screwyouguys

screwyouguys

Anyone know any specific spots to get some heady in the Burlington area
    Spending part of day here and hoping to snag a few

BulkCarrier likes this.
  5. MKtheGeneral

MKtheGeneral

6. CoinStarChange

CoinStarChange

The Crusher!!

7. lambandtunaphish

lambandtunaphish

Ha. Texted this to my buddy who was just about to hop on the road back to CT from Waterbury.

He's pretty happy.

8. GuzzleMcBrew

GuzzleMcBrew

I am staying in Charlotte VT this weekend with the girlfriend visiting family and chilling. Looks like I will get to hit the brewery Tuesday!:D

MKtheGeneral likes this.
  9. lambandtunaphish

lambandtunaphish

Well, they took the original blog down and put up a new post editing the details for today.

Only Focal and samples today, not opening til 2pm. Focal/Heady/Crusher tomorrow.

10. screwyouguys

screwyouguys

Wtf I just drove an hour out of my way to head back

11. dadavat

dadavat

I'll pile on to the token "I'm coming to VT" posts. We're staying at a house in Stowe for 9 nights in the beginning of August. I think I have a pretty good idea of where I'm gonna be going around Stowe/Waterbury/Burlington area. I do have two non-beer related questions for the locals though:

1. Has anyone ever used the summer camp at Stoweflake resort for their kids? It looks pretty cheap, like $60/day or something like that. We were going to drop our kids off there while we go to Hill Farmstead because they'll probably just complain the whole time (and i don't blame them, not too fun for a 10 and 7 year old).

2. Does anyone have any recommendations for day trips from the Stowe area (less than 2 hours one way)? We don't have passports so Montreal is out of the question. And last time we came up, we went to Franconia Notch for the day (which was awesome). We haven't been down to Montpelier yet so we'll probably check that out as well.

12. coldafpipes

coldafpipes

We use Stowe summer camp via Appletree learning.
    http://www.appletreelc.com/programs/programs-for-residents/summer-camp

I don't know what it costs per day. Bill is an awesome guy (he's in charge of the fun stuff @ appletree). The population of the camp can change a lot it seems, week to week, but there are plenty of local kids as well as guests signed up. I don't know what Stoweflake is like, other than using their pool, but I haven't heard anything negative either. Stowe summer camp w/ appletree also directly across a big field from the Alchemist...or if you need coffee, PK coffee near Stowe Bev is tasty.

My recommendation for a day trip would be tubing in Mad River Valley. 9 Days in Stowe, you will need a dose(s) of chill. I suggest MRV because it's on 100, hard to get lost and there's a lot to do...

13. dadavat

dadavat

Thanks for the reply! That Appletree camp is actually the one that we were looking at. It's great to get a thumbs up from someone. Mad river valley sounds great as well but tubing might be hard with an infant. I'll definitely check it out though. Thanks again!

14. primebeer

primebeer

Haven't read through the whole thread, but Doc Pond's in Stowe was awesome when we visited last week. Same people as Hen of the Wood. Cool food, awesome tap list, and great ambience. Will be back for sure.

Frank and GuzzleMcBrew like this.
  15. GreenMtnMike

GreenMtnMike

HF really isn't hard with kids, plenty of room outside to play. Or you can set up camp at Lake Caspian and just sneak away for a bit. We have season passes for the Jay Peak waterpark but they sell day passes as well. It's awesome for kids of all ages, and there's an indoor skating rink that rents equipment there as well. If you go up there stop at Brault's slaughterhouse in Troy and buy as much hot pepper jerky as you can carry.

16. dadavat

dadavat

Thanks for the info. That Jay peak place looks like a hit for the kids and my son is a hockey player so I'm sure he'd like to get on the ice once while we're on vacation.

17. GreenMtnMike

GreenMtnMike

No problem, the following is my favorite way to do a day at Jay:

Have my wife drop my son and I off here. It is on 242 about a mile after the ski area entrance.

[​IMG]

The hike is short, but steep and a little technical near the top. My son is 9 and can handle it, for the distance the payoff is pretty great:

[​IMG]

Once we're at the top we hang out for a bit. Sometimes if the tram is running we will take it down to the waterpark, but normally we just walk down one of the ski trails and meet up with the rest of the family. Then I drink Long Trail Limbo by the pool and go on waterslides.

[​IMG]

18. dadavat

dadavat

Well that looks like a great way to spend a day. I'm sold.

19. JustinBK

JustinBK

Random question, but I was wondering if any TBers will be at the Gordon Conference on Visual System Development?

20. chtoder

chtoder

Hey everyone, my fiance and I are heading up to VT in a few weeks I was hoping to find hike/outdoorsy activity suggestions near our Airbnb in Waterford. Most everything I've read about in this thread is at least an hour west and I was hoping to find something closer. My fiance is a saint but there are only so many brewery visits and long drives I can subject her to.