US - Great Lakes The WI Thread: FIBs stay the fuck out

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by sherm1016, Oct 3, 2013.

1. sherm1016

sherm1016

That was my impression of the distinction between the two beers: hand-picked wild black [cap] raspberries versus commercially purchased black raspberries. At the end of the day, though, it's really the same fruit (Rubus occidentalis).

Thanks for confirming I'm not an idiot.

elkhunter36 likes this.
  2. sjstraub

sjstraub

I do think they taste different, but I've never had them side by side. They certainly look different.

Black Caps are allegedly more tart than commercial black berries. They are also about half the size and have the same number of seeds as the larger ones. Think of them as an "heirloom" variety of the berry.

I've got black caps in my yard, but only enough to make a pie or so. And honestly, my kids eat so much of them that I probably couldn't even do that anymore.

JohnfromPurdue and elkhunter36 like this.
  3. sherm1016

sherm1016

I don’t deny that the beers look or taste different.

I was just trying to confirm that are technically (biologically?) the same fruit, which it seems they are.

Different cultivars of any fruit are going to taste different, but they are still the fruit.

sjstraub likes this.
  4. BlackElixir

BlackElixir

Framzwartje was definitely the least acidic of the Fram- beers. It was much earthier and tannic (probably due to seed/skin to flesh ratio).

5. SpentBrain

SpentBrain

I hope we see a Fox and Grapes again. Loved that beer.

Magnum Club will be awesome, really looking forward to that one.

6. furley

furley

how many heading up for Central Waters River Run this saturday?

looks like they've pared back the guest tap list, opened up the even to the general public and Black Gold allocations are already sold out.

already reading a bit of upset about the event not being as good compared to past year's.

i, for one, hope the changes reduce the neckbeard overcrowding and subsequent outrage about..... everything.

BurgerTime likes this.
  7. bigred

bigred

I'll be heading.

I'm cool with all the BG being sold ahead of time, just wish they hadn't opened this up to the public. The event will never be better than last year, by only allowing those who won the lottery and/or signed up for the run CW kept the crowd at an absolute minimum. Black Gold flowed freely, and other than the first 15 minutes it went on tap you could just walk up and get a glass. Plenty of space to move around, plenty of barrels for shares - it was awesome.

furley and BurgerTime like this.
  8. furley

furley

last year was pretty smooth. curious how packed it gets this year. weather should be fair enough anyways. cloudy but not cold. maybe a bit of light rain.

this is my favorite event (aside from the Great Taste) so really looking forward to it

BurgerTime likes this.
  9. BurgerTime

BurgerTime

See you all there! Will have family in tow for the first time-- doing the Falcon Fun Run and River Walk. Really hoping it's not too crowded.

furley likes this.
  10. bigred

bigred

The run won't be crowded. I'm assuming you are aware per the email that you can't bring your kids into the beerfest?

BurgerTime likes this.
  11. BurgerTime

BurgerTime

Trenchcoat. ;)

In the past, people (kids included) have kind of hung around out front. May do that for a bit while drinking a pour of BG and grabbing a bite to eat, but mostly just there for the run/walk and the BG pick-up.

furley likes this.
  12. furley

furley

well, shit

"Rain early...then remaining cloudy with thundershowers developing in the afternoon. High 58F. Winds ENE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90%."

BurgerTime likes this.
  13. levifunk

levifunk

Yes, black cap raspberries are very different than black raspberries. If you view raspberries in a spectrum it would be fruity on one end and tannic on the other. Red raspberries are the fruitiest and least tannic. Purple raspberries have a good amount of fruitiness but have some tannic flavors as well. Black raspberries are far less fruity and carry a lot of tannins. Black-cap raspberries are black raspberries on tannin steroids. Earthy and savagely wild.

Black-cap raspberries are also not grown commercially. To get them, you have to literally forage them out of a forest.

mjohnson17, Sender1, furley and 5 others like this.
  14. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

What about golden raspberries? Asking for a friend.

Gonzoillini, Nivek43 and sjstraub like this.
  15. levifunk

levifunk

Golden Raspberries are weird. I still haven't fermented them in beer, but I grew up eating them. They were my favorite as a kid, and we planted some at the taproom. They are very very sweet and I'd guess you'd call them fruity, but not as much as reds. No tannins at all.

16. furley

furley

UPDATE?

got there right as the kid's run started. didn't look too packed.

the 5 miler didn't seem bad either. pretty normal turnout. tent wasn't crowded at all. taproom was really wide open by comparison to past years.

bailed around 1, though. nobody i knew showed up. not sure if that says more about me or them.

[​IMG]

17. BurgerTime

BurgerTime

It was fun! My oldest daughter did the Falcon Fun Run and liked it. We all did the 2 mile River Walk/Run, which was great. It seemed less crowded than normal to me, though I was mostly out front trying to keep the kids occupied and warm. Weather kind of sucked and the kids weren't really into it so we left shortly before you did. I didn't even try for a BG pour, heard the line was super long.

I did see a lot of people asking locals if they could buy their 1 bottle of BG that came with the River Run registration. Smart I guess, but I kind of hate seeing people try to game the system all the time. Maybe CW could do 2 kinds of tickets in the future? One with BG and one without, make people pay up front for BG? Hate for CW to have to do more work for an otherwise great event, but in an ever-escalating war between shitlords and decency...

Let's meet up for a beer next time I'm up there. Brownpapertickets/lottery-willing I should be up there for the anniversary party.

furley and sjstraub like this.
  18. furley

furley

for sure. i'm not sure if i'll be at the anniv party unless they change how the thing is ticketed. i forgot about it right on the button, checked 10 minutes after release and they were gone last year.

missed it for the first time since the 7th or 8th anniv.

BurgerTime and sjstraub like this.