The Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by Michigan, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Michigan

Michigan

Here is it! Any wine people out there? I'm just a beginner, but I'm itching to learn more about the world of wine.

So tell me about your wine adventures and teach me all there is to know!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. bitterbug

bitterbug

I can't teach you a lot, but I don't drink hard alcohol so it's beer and wine for me. Getting into Sherry. Pedro Ximenez grapes especially.

3. hannydawg

hannydawg

Wine is what I use to keep women away from my lambic.

4. Shaggs

Shaggs

I work in an upscale wine store so I'm lucky enough to try a lot and attend tastings frequently enough. Happy to make recommendations.

Going to make some steaks tomorrow so I'm planning on going napa cab but really itching to get a bottle of Shatter Grenache before we sell out

5. hannydawg

hannydawg

Noob, liquor store employees are supposed to buy up all limited releases. Jeez.

6. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman

7. Michigan

Michigan

don't you fuck up this thread!

yeahnatenelson likes this.
  8. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman

Pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

[​IMG]

kuemmelbrau likes this.
  9. bitterbug

bitterbug

My wife is into the Spanish reds big time. Lots if Tempranillo. Good stuff though.

eriktheipaman and Michigan like this.
  10. SeaWatchman

SeaWatchman

I'm a big fan of carmenères, seriously. That or a really citrus forward Vihno Verde.

11. all about dat Caymus Special Selection doe.....

Party like its 2009

henrythehippo and leprakhan like this.
  12. backfat

backfat

You know, Billy Mays is in heaven right now partying like it's $19.99. I'll see myself out...

13. Shaggs

Shaggs

Caymus is an old school whale like KBS

14. pkeigan

pkeigan

I also work in a Liquor store and have been fortunate to try on average 10 wines a week for the past few years. For the most part I think most wines are highly overvalued. Spanish wines seem to be the best deal to me, being able to buy bad ass Rioja for under $20 a bottle is where it is at. I have also had good experience with GSM from the Languedoc region. I am itching to try some Bordeaux, but our store doesn't really stock much. It is hard to go back to paying retail when you get everything at cost.

15. housepants

housepants

You guys should try some white wine from New Zealand. I taste a lot of flavors similar to the ones I get from Alpine Nelson.

FTowne likes this.
  16. Michigan

Michigan

Apparently I love Spanish wines, which isn't a hard thing to do. I just tasted 20+ wines and left with a few bottles (fo' free!). This is what I'm having tonight while I study for my Geology exam and start a new metaphysics paper!

[​IMG]

Vintage 2012
    A: Deep velvety purple/crimson. Leaves nice legs.
    S: Huge ripe/jammy dark fruit aroma with spices. Good fig pretense with plums and blueberries! Nice cherry all over the place. Lingers with scents of sawdust.
    T: Follows the nose. Lots of black cherries and blueberries. Full and rich. Good tannic balance. Hint of licorice and more dark stone fruits.
    F: Smooth finish with no rough edges. Kind of a tangy/tannic finish that's just long enough for you to finish your story and take another sip.
    O: Good wine. I'll probably keep it around for the holidays.

I was never very good at reviewing things...

17. pkeigan

pkeigan

Anyone tried trading beer for wine? I would love to try some Bordeaux or high end Chateauneuf. I am guessing I could find some Lambic lovers that run decent sized Wine Cellars, just wondering if anyone else has done it.

GrumpyOldTroll likes this.
  18. GrumpyOldTroll

GrumpyOldTroll

The Ramey Cabernet Sauvignon (08) has been the best wine I've tried in the last couple of weeks. I also like the rombauer Chardonnay. I get the sense that it probably appeals to a less experienced wine drinker more than those who really know this stuff because it's buttery and the barrel is really present. But I haven't found anything close in the price range so far. And I'm gonna find out. :)

atomicskis5 likes this.
  19. pkeigan

pkeigan

If you like Rombauer, look for Wente Riva Ranch, similar profile at half the cost. I actually think it may be a little better.

leprakhan and GrumpyOldTroll like this.
  20. NYCBUCKEYE

NYCBUCKEYE

My wife and I drink quite a bit of full-bodied Malbec's strong fruit flavors. She also enjoys Sauvignon Blanc's from New Zealand quite a bit.

sacrelicio, LSUPT and PeelBacks like this.