Thoughts on aging beer X

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelf_turd_ferguson

Reaction score
This part of the site is pretty small, thought I could kick off a thread for people to ask about aging certain beers, at least until this subtopic gets more active.

I've heard heard that Westy 12 can age well for more than 5 years. I had a 1.5 year old bottle last month and it was not as good as when I had it fresh. It was definitely less silky (way less) and more appley (which is wasn't before). This made me quite sad. Any thoughts?

I've had Westies at various ages up to like 20 years, and I really love it with age. I don't get your experience at all, I've never had apple (and don't understand "silky"), but 1.5 years is hardly anything for a quad. Could've just been a bad bottle. Pannepot and Rochefort 10 age really well too, I think I went through every vintage of Pannepot at Kulminator and that was some of my best drinking in Belgium.

I've had Westies at various ages up to like 20 years, and I really love it with age. I don't get your experience at all, I've never had apple (and don't understand "silky"), but 1.5 years is hardly anything for a quad. Could've just been a bad bottle. Pannepot and Rochefort 10 age really well too, I think I went through every vintage of Pannepot at Kulminator and that was some of my best drinking in Belgium.
Silky as in mouthfeel. I remember Westy being smooth and full on the tongue, really great for a quad. And I recall the taste being rich w/ cocoa, cherries, dark plum, etc. I'm not going to look up my notes right now. It was damn good.
I opened two bottles from different batches (going off of the cap date) last month (on different days), and it was :( I know it shouldn't have apple, but I think two of us got that. I'm wondering if maybe it was a low-point in the aging progression, or if maybe the bottles were duds. The bottles were purchased straight from Sint-Sixtus.

I had a '99 Westy 12 versus a "fresh" Westy and the fresher blew the older one out of the water in terms of preference between myself and my friend. Then again, I'll go ahead and point out how biased I am against aging beers, so YMMV.

Silky as in mouthfeel. I remember Westy being smooth and full on the tongue, really great for a quad. And I recall the taste being rich w/ cocoa, cherries, dark plum, etc. I'm not going to look up my notes right now. It was damn good.
I opened two bottles from different batches (going off of the cap date) last month (on different days), and it was :( I know it shouldn't have apple, but I think two of us got that. I'm wondering if maybe it was a low-point in the aging progression, or if maybe the bottles were duds. The bottles were purchased straight from Sint-Sixtus.
Mouthfeel is one of those things that I care about far, far less than many seem to, so I can't really comment on that. I haven't had enough of them to really comment on the aging profile, but I have had some at that age and not gotten apple.

There is noticeable variation between US Westy 12 and Belgian westy 12. I never took notes, but can tell you I vastly prefer Belgian Westy 12. This was also noticed by a trade partner.

I haven't had enough of them to really comment on the aging profile, but I have had some at that age and not gotten apple.

We had a few old Westys (not 20 years... i think like 8-10 maybe) that had some definite apple/cider flavors... not quite tart but sort of. Didn't taste spoiled, in fact it was rather pleasant i thought, but definitely different. It kind of reminded my of that goofy twangy time that some barleywines go through, when their too old to be fresh but to young to be aged, at like 9 months.

Sort of reminds my of my Jr High experience... awkward, pimply, not sure what to do with myself and clueless about the opposite sex. Not wholly awful, but weird.

We had a few old Westys (not 20 years... i think like 8-10 maybe) that had some definite apple/cider flavors... not quite tart but sort of. Didn't taste spoiled, in fact it was rather pleasant i thought, but definitely different. It kind of reminded my of that goofy twangy time that some barleywines go through, when their too old to be fresh but to young to be aged, at like 9 months.

Sort of reminds my of my Jr High experience... awkward, pimply, not sure what to do with myself and clueless about the opposite sex. Not wholly awful, but weird.
I liked the appley characteristics of the old ones we tried. Still have one '02 kicking around. Might have to open that one soon.

Maybe. Maybe sooner. Are we still getting together MLK weekend, or is that a no-go? How's that keg treating ya? ;)
kegs are wonderful haha. i'm trying to get some non-stout stuff on for February so we don't die (or at least die more slowly).

MLK day could work, i think we're hosting brother/sister in law, but they are down. might be a more difficult negotiation to drive to the haute for an evening, but i bet i could swing it.

kegs are wonderful haha. i'm trying to get some non-stout stuff on for February so we don't die (or at least die more slowly).

MLK day could work, i think we're hosting brother/sister in law, but they are down. might be a more difficult negotiation to drive to the haute for an evening, but i bet i could swing it.
I'll text you and Z about it tonight. If not, I guess I'll just have to wait for the birthday bonanza. :D

I'll text you and Z about it tonight. If not, I guess I'll just have to wait for the birthday bonanza. :D
sounds good man!

and i'm starting to be scared... oh well, that's what advil....or maybe ambulances.... are for

A 2009 KBS we opened the other day was faded and oxidized. The coffee was a former shell of it's once self. That beer is way better fresh (that may go for all coffee related beers for me).
On another note, I opened a 2012 Parabola the other night and I'd say I absolutely prefer that beer fresh. There were blended flavora but everything I like about parabola was less present...

Anyone have experience aging New Glarus fruit beers (Raspberry Tart specifically)? I love them fresh, but I had heard that they age well. I've got a bottle that's pushing 2 years, but I'm not sure of the exact bottling date.

I am against aging beers over 50 degrees. Keep it at like 45-48 degrees if you can, you'll have a really high success rate.

I am against aging beers over 50 degrees. Keep it at like 45-48 degrees if you can, you'll have a really high success rate.
Go on...

5ktufly.gif

Depends on how you define "success rate". The chemical reactions that define aging won't happen as quickly at those temperatures, so if you want the beer to change relatively little (or to be "young" for its age, basically) then that makes sense. Otherwise, not so much. Especially if you're talking about lambic (or another wild beer) that requires healthy and active yeasts/bacteria to age.

Depends on how you define "success rate". The chemical reactions that define aging won't happen as quickly at those temperatures, so if you want the beer to change relatively little (or to be "young" for its age, basically) then that makes sense. Otherwise, not so much. Especially if you're talking about lambic (or another wild beer) that requires healthy and active yeasts/bacteria to age.
jus.gif

LYMI

You actually made my point, I indeed do like to show down the reactions, while still staying in target temperature range, perfect actually. Over 50 is too much though, lambics are tougher (and that's what I age most), but below 50 certainly appreciates the beer more.

Back