Tips and Tricks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaeli

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm new to beer in general and don't know much about home brewing (like at all). What are some of the things you wished you would have known when you first started and do you have any tips and tricks you use?
Thanks!
Michaeli--

god you guys are mean

On a serious note I cant think of much to offer here.

Try new beers to get a sense of what you like, explore your local breweries and beer bars, be friendly with those you meet in the community and be generous with sharing beer. If I were to go back to when I first started drinking beer i'd heavily stock up on what I enjoy now but my tastes have changed over time and what I am into now I wasnt big into years ago.

You’re probably better off posting your questions in the Brewing forum, like maybe in this thread: https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/random-brewing-thoughts.14699/

I think he mentioned homebrewing just to point out he doesn't have any experience in that field either, as opposed to being a homebrewer who's getting into commercial craft beer. I actually read it the same way you did at first and was confused as to why this wasn't in the homebrew forum as well.

There is a lot of good beer on your grocer's shelf too. Don't neglect it and get caught up in all the ********.

This. My first big hauls were grocery store markdowns. Decent stuff too. Iipa's that were still months from best by, chimay blue, goses. 50% off.

Simpler times. Now I'm finding mules for stuff I can't get to in time

Hi everyone,
I'm new to beer in general and don't know much about home brewing (like at all). What are some of the things you wished you would have known when you first started and do you have any tips and tricks you use?
Thanks!
Michaeli--

Hi Michaeli, welcome to TalkBeer! Here's a few random thoughts and musings from me:

-Try a mix of local/regional beers as well as the larger/more well established national brands (things like Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, Stone, Firestone Walker, Bells, Boulevard, etc.). This will give you a good baseline of knowledge both in terms of a variety of styles, and how your local options compare to the most standard offerings. Go for basic styles to get a feel for things: pale ales, pilsners, IPAs, porters, red ales, etc. then branch out into other offerings. If you're going to experiment, do it with flights at breweries (or bars if they offer them).

-If you're going to worry about something, make it freshness. Specifically for things like hoppy beers, try to avoid products like IPAs and pale ales that have been sitting out on the shelf of a store for months at a time. Don't let anyone convince you that a beer canned two weeks ago is "too old", but keep in mind that some stuff isn't not going to taste as it should 4-6+ months in, especially if it hasn't been refrigerated. To that end, be sure to try hoppy beers on draft at your local bars/restaurants/breweries for the best experience with them and idea of how they should taste when fresh.

-DON'T CHASE HYPED BEERS. If you happen to go to a store or bar and they've got CBS or whatever, sure grab it and try it if you want. But work on getting a good base feel for what you enjoy beer-wise, instead of worrying about dumb beer geek ****.

Im making the assumption you're asking about brewing. You're going to spend most of your time reading and cleaning/sanitizing. It's a labor of love and you need to be fairly detail-oriented. Helps if you have a hobbest personality where you like to figure out how **** works. And I'm not talking about disassembling neighborhood pets.

Best place to start off is the book How to Brew by John Palmer. Read it, then head over to the brewingnetwork.com and start listening to the podcast. Specifically Brew Strong which has the "Why's" to brewing and technical answers on the brewday. Then pick up Brewing Classic Styles and listen to the podcasts with Jamil. The Jamil Show.

Those 2 books and their podcasts will get you a long way to answering questions and pointing you in the right direction. The find a local Homebrew club and start attending meetings. Ask lots of questions, taste a lot of beer.

On a serious note I cant think of much to offer here.

Try new beers to get a sense of what you like, explore your local breweries and beer bars, be friendly with those you meet in the community and be generous with sharing beer. If I were to go back to when I first started drinking beer i'd heavily stock up on what I enjoy now but my tastes have changed over time and what I am into now I wasnt big into years ago.
Thank you for your insight! I appreciate it! :)

Hi Michaeli, welcome to TalkBeer! Here's a few random thoughts and musings from me:

-Try a mix of local/regional beers as well as the larger/more well established national brands (things like Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, Stone, Firestone Walker, Bells, Boulevard, etc.). This will give you a good baseline of knowledge both in terms of a variety of styles, and how your local options compare to the most standard offerings. Go for basic styles to get a feel for things: pale ales, pilsners, IPAs, porters, red ales, etc. then branch out into other offerings. If you're going to experiment, do it with flights at breweries (or bars if they offer them).

-If you're going to worry about something, make it freshness. Specifically for things like hoppy beers, try to avoid products like IPAs and pale ales that have been sitting out on the shelf of a store for months at a time. Don't let anyone convince you that a beer canned two weeks ago is "too old", but keep in mind that some stuff isn't not going to taste as it should 4-6+ months in, especially if it hasn't been refrigerated. To that end, be sure to try hoppy beers on draft at your local bars/restaurants/breweries for the best experience with them and idea of how they should taste when fresh.

-DON'T CHASE HYPED BEERS. If you happen to go to a store or bar and they've got CBS or whatever, sure grab it and try it if you want. But work on getting a good base feel for what you enjoy beer-wise, instead of worrying about dumb beer geek ****.

Thank you so much, Julian! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me a all around good breakdown of what to try, etc! I guess I have some work to do...! :)

Im making the assumption you're asking about brewing. You're going to spend most of your time reading and cleaning/sanitizing. It's a labor of love and you need to be fairly detail-oriented. Helps if you have a hobbest personality where you like to figure out how **** works. And I'm not talking about disassembling neighborhood pets.

Best place to start off is the book How to Brew by John Palmer. Read it, then head over to the brewingnetwork.com and start listening to the podcast. Specifically Brew Strong which has the "Why's" to brewing and technical answers on the brewday. Then pick up Brewing Classic Styles and listen to the podcasts with Jamil. The Jamil Show.

Those 2 books and their podcasts will get you a long way to answering questions and pointing you in the right direction. The find a local Homebrew club and start attending meetings. Ask lots of questions, taste a lot of beer.
Thank you, Phischy! I'm just trying to gather information for the whole part of it. I'm thinking that when I find the beers that I like the most, I'll want to brew them because my personality is definitely towards making it a hobby (or should I say hoppy? LOL) later down the line! I appreciate your insight and the suggestions for books/podcasts! Cheers!

Thank you, Phischy! I'm just trying to gather information for the whole part of it. I'm thinking that when I find the beers that I like the most, I'll want to brew them because my personality is definitely towards making it a hobby (or should I say hoppy? LOL) later down the line! I appreciate your insight and the suggestions for books/podcasts! Cheers!
Two things to note, recreating commercial offerings is extremely difficult so plan to brew your own house beer with the same characters, but it won't be an exact copy.

You will also not save money doing this unless you discount all your hardware and time spent. Else it's a hobby and a lot of fun.

Two things to note, recreating commercial offerings is extremely difficult so plan to brew your own house beer with the same characters, but it won't be an exact copy.

You will also not save money doing this unless you discount all your hardware and time spent. Else it's a hobby and a lot of fun.
Yeah I guess I just meant more to figure out if I prefer a Stout, Ale, Porter, etc. and then try to create some types like that, but not exact recipes. Although, some breweries offer their recipes on their websites.... so it could be somewhat possible...LOL

When I first started drinking craft beer I'd find a style I liked and would drink that style from a variety of different breweries.

Thank you for the welcome! This is all great advice!

Advice for brewing:

1. **** ice baths, get a wort chiller.
  2. Turn off heat and stir before adding extracts.
  3. Do it outside if you can, a propane burner saves a lot of time vs using a stove.
  4. Check out "brew in a bag" methods.
  5. Research, take notes, and have fun.
Disclaimer: There are much better brewers here than me. I just throw mixed cultures into extract saisons these days.

Back