Tired Hands Milkshake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCastle1

Reaction score
This beer sounds like something I would really enjoy. Since I'm never going to try it I decided I wanted to make my own. From the description:

Brewed with oats, lactose sugar and wheat flour. Conditioned on vanilla beans and cherry/raspberry puree. Hopped with Mosaic and Citra. 7.2%.

Anyone that's tried it got any ideas for the grist? If not I'm gonna work on my own recipe and see how it turns out.

I had this the other day, but I'm pretty useless and dunno how to help you brew it ;)
Didn't know it was bottled!

I've come up with some ideas but no clue if it's close. Basically gonna take my Treehouse-inspired IPA recipe and add lactose, oats, vanilla and fruit. Might try some small batches at first.

Gonna make it soon-ish, just gotta get a few other brews out of the way first. Here's what I came up with:

11 lbs 2-row
1 lb rolled oats
1 lb white wheat
0.5 lb Cara20
3 apples (wut)

0.5 lb lactose at 15 min
2oz Mosaic at 15 min
2oz Citra at 0 min

1 vanilla pod (too much? too little?)
4 lbs of fruit (haven't decided which yet)
Fermented with WLP007

Theoretically should be a bit over 7% abv.

For the fruit I'm thinking:

Strawberry (classic milkshake)
Pineapple/coconut (pina colada kinda thing maybe?)
Cherry/raspberry

Gonna make it soon-ish, just gotta get a few other brews out of the way first. Here's what I came up with:

11 lbs 2-row
1 lb rolled oats
1 lb white wheat
0.5 lb Cara20
3 apples (wut)

0.5 lb lactose at 15 min
2oz Mosaic at 15 min
2oz Citra at 0 min

Fermented with WLP007

Cherry/raspberry
I would double the oats. Usually when they use oats and wheat they are decent parts of the grain bill(15-30%) And use the wheat flour instead of white wheat. It will help a bit more with the thickness of the beer and head retention more than the wheat will. I'd def keep it to 1 vanilla pod or under.

HomerThinking.gif

I would double the oats. Usually when they use oats and wheat they are decent parts of the grain bill(15-30%) And use the wheat flour instead of white wheat. It will help a bit more with the thickness of the beer and head retention more than the wheat will. I'd def keep it to 1 vanilla pod or under.
I wasn't sure about the wheat flour... So just toss in 1lb into the mash? And doubling the oats sounds like a good idea for thickness.

I wasn't sure about the wheat flour... So just toss in 1lb into the mash? And doubling the oats sounds like a good idea for thickness.
How big of a batch Is it? When I use flour I usually use .5 lb for a 5.5 gallon batch. I'd say go on the side of caution and go .5-.75 lb and maybe next batch up it if you feel like you need to, wouldn't want to tell you a full LB and have you get a stuck mash from it. Yeah just add it to the mash like you would a grain.

How big of a batch Is it? When I use flour I usually use .5 lb for a 5.5 gallon batch. I'd say go on the side of caution and go .5-.75 lb and maybe next batch up it if you feel like you need to, wouldn't want to tell you a full LB and have you get a stuck mash from it. Yeah just add it to the mash like you would a grain.
Recipe above is for 5 gallons but I may do a 2 gallon batch in case it sucks.

11 lbs 2-row
1 lb rolled oats
1 lb white wheat
0.5 lb Cara20
3 apples (wut)

0.5 lb lactose at 15 min
2oz Mosaic at 15 min
2oz Citra at 0 min

Fermented with WLP007

Cherry/raspberry
If you go with strawberries you might want to use a seedless purée.

Yeast is going to be the most important choice imo. Your gonna want something with low floc, I would keep the oats to 10-15% of the grist. My 2 cents

I'm thinking of the pina colada option most likely. This is probably gonna suck but whatever.

How'd this turn out? I'm planning a mango milkshake IPA for my next brew and would love to get any feedback from your experiment.

How'd this turn out? I'm planning a mango milkshake IPA for my next brew and would love to get any feedback from your experiment.
Never made it, made a raspberry and it was pretty good. I'd change the recipe and hop less next time though, IMO an IPA is not the ideal base for this.

Never made it, made a raspberry and it was pretty good. I'd change the recipe and hop less next time though, IMO an IPA is not the ideal base for this.
I got to try whichever one TH had at Shelton. Guava maybe? Wanted to hate it, but it was titties. I think all WP and DH.

Local brewery is going to be making a blueberry milkshake IPA, pretty much just to piss me off actually. I can post recipe and tasting notes after it is brewed.

I got to try whichever one TH had at Shelton. Guava maybe? Wanted to hate it, but it was titties. I think all WP and DH.

Local brewery is going to be making a blueberry milkshake IPA, pretty much just to piss me off actually. I can post recipe and tasting notes after it is brewed.
I've heard mixed reviews about the Milkshakes, I had Blackberry and Peach and both were awful. I'd be interested in your recipe though, might rebrew a similar style eventually.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Milkshakes, I had Blackberry and Peach and both were awful. I'd be interested in your recipe though, might rebrew a similar style eventually.

I had a local NEIPA with lactose in it and loved it. I've also enjoyed Great Notion's Orange Creamsicle and Strawberries n' Cream IPAs. Never tried the full lactose + fruit + vanilla trio but I imagine its great.

There's a little brewery in Puyallup, WA (about 30 miles south of Seattle) called Powerhouse that has made a Strawberry Shake IPA (Madagascar vanilla, lactose and Citra) in the past. I'm guessing it will be back on when the local strawberry farms have berries. The brewer is super friendly, I'm sure he'd share with me how it was made if I ask.

https://www.powerhousebrewpub.com/watts-new/strawberry-shake-ipa/

I emailed the Milkshake IPA recipe I put together to Henok from Omnipollo. He said it looked stellar and made a few recommendations, so here's what I've got after working in his feedback:

78% 2 Row
10% Flaked oats
7% Lactose
5% Wheat
green apple puree

0.5 oz Columbus at 60 min for 20 IBU
2 oz each Citra/Mosaic at whirlpool, primary dry hop, regular dry hop (he specifically said to drop the 0 min addition and go heavy on WP/DH)

5 bl mango puree
1 vanilla bean

I emailed the Milkshake IPA recipe I put together to Henok from Omnipollo. He said it looked stellar and made a few recommendations, so here's what I've got after working in his feedback:

78% 2 Row
10% Flaked oats
7% Lactose
5% Wheat
green apple puree

2 oz each Citra/Mosaic at whirlpool, primary dry hop, regular dry hop (he specifically said to drop the 0 min addition and go heavy on WP/DH)

5 bl mango puree
1 vanilla bean

So racking into secondary over puree and vanilla bean. Any idea on contact time? No more than a week I'd think.

In terms of green apple puree, I was thinking maybe 4 green apples, peeled/cored and pureed, right into mash.

I've got 6lbs of canned apricot puree that was intended for a wild ale. Never used it. Wondering if it would work with a milkshake IPA.

So racking into secondary over puree and vanilla bean. Any idea on contact time? No more than a week I'd think.

In terms of green apple puree, I was thinking maybe 4 green apples, peeled/cored and pureed, right into mash.

I've got 6lbs of canned apricot puree that was intended for a wild ale. Never used it. Wondering if it would work with a milkshake IPA.
I think the apples are hot side somewhere for pectin.

I was thinking I'd add mango puree right into primary once initial fermentation dies down, maybe 5-7 days in. Not sure how long for the vanilla bean, maybe a little less like 2-5 days.

I think apricot would be awesome. In fact if mango goes well, I might want to try either a peach or apricot version.

I did 1 week on the fruit and vanilla. For the mash I added the apples chopped rather than pureed, think that could cause sparge issues.

78% 2 Row
10% Flaked oats
7% Lactose
5% Wheat
green apple puree

5 bl mango puree
1 vanilla bean
Hadn't noticed you removed the flour but it's a good idea IMO. My beer came out super chunky and the bottom of the bottles were just nasty sludge.

Hadn't noticed you removed the flour but it's a good idea IMO. My beer came out super chunky and the bottom of the bottles were just nasty sludge.

Yeah I don't feel the need for flour, and questioned the apples as well. Flour seems to be purely for appearance, but I'm thinking the apples might actually do something for the mouthfeel so why not?

im gonna follow their lead in this post...

i have 8oz of el dorado hash left that i will use as well....

Report back, sounds interesting! I'd be wary of infections though, there's a reason these bizarre inventions only last a day on cask. Not even sure how I'd try to sanitize some crackers...

Im thinking about trying one of these. Grain bill similar to what anteater posted, but with a touch of biscuit malt. Im thinking Belma and El Dorado hops for fruity flavors. Not sure what fruit I would do. Mango, pineapple, or blueberry maybe? And I'm not really sure about the apples.

Back