'Tis the Season for Eggnog!

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by Michigan, Nov 18, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. natejohnson

natejohnson

I did a quick search between the VT liquor website and cheap brandy recommendations because I don't drink it. I ended up with Paul Masson which is totally acceptable in nog, and was hilariously cheap at like $12/750ml.

Beerontwowheels and arren like this.
  2. arren

arren

Cool, found a bottle at TJs for $14.

3. broost3r

broost3r

just made this year's batch. i use ruhlman's recipe: http://ruhlman.com/2016/11/plan-ahead-30-day-eggnog/

this was with 1L of 81 proof wild turkey and 1.5 cups of centenario anejo rum (left out the brandy)

i cracked the eggs whole into a silicon muffin tray. it was super easy to lift out the yolks, then transport the whole tray into the freezer to freeze the whites for later

we're expecting our second child in about 31 days so the timing is good -- right when this is hitting it's prime my wife will be able to partake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FTowne, Gene, DougOLis and 2 others like this.
  4. Frank

Frank

Liked for using cambro containers at home.

Also liked for booze.

5. bum732

bum732

Made 3 half-batches:

-Ruhlman recipe, half batch: Cut the booze to .5 liter total, basically dropped 5oz of bourbon, still plenty of alcohol to avoid spoilage issues. I made this recipe last year, but found it a touch boozy, even after aging. Hoping this will strike the right balance. Speaking of this recipe, i still have some from last November. Planning to try it again soon, hopefully it won't kill me.

-Clyde Common recipe: Another half batch, never made this before, excited to try it.

-"Cooks illustrated recipe": Pretty much this recipe cut in half: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/features/8318-how-we-developed-great-and-safe-aged-eggnog
    Curious to see how it turns out and compare with the others.

6. franch

franch

made the alton brown recipe in july. tasted it since - delicious, but leaving it until Christmas. there's going to be family shit. and boozy nog.

waltersrj likes this.
  7. waltersrj

waltersrj

I plan to make this over the weekend. It won't get to age as long as I originally wanted but it should still be delicious for Christmas :)

8. schmaltzy

schmaltzy

Made a double batch of Ruhlman recipe this weekend. Used Old Weller Antique and Baby Saz with a splash of cheap brandy, I also added some brown sugar to simulate the rum but only a touch... It smells amazing

9. Carolinabeerguy

Carolinabeerguy

Because I'm lazy, I picked up a handle of Evan Williams Egg Nog last night. Pretty damn good considering the convenience. For those that don't know, it's made with bourbon, rum and brandy. Well worth the $16.99.

Steve and broost3r like this.
  10. Gene

Gene Just happy to be here Contributor

Drank some this weekend. It is amazing. There is no mistaking the booze on the nose, but it drinks so easy. It was good fresh; now it's just more rounded.

buzzword, gregkoko, Os and 7 others like this.
  11. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72

Just made a double batch of Alton Brown Nog today... Sampling now. Holy Carp! This is delightful. Doesn't seem overly boozy. Can't wait to see how it ages...

broost3r likes this.
  12. natejohnson

natejohnson

Same. So so good. It's amazing how much booze is on the nose but is attenuated on the palate.

Gene likes this.
  13. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

Alton Brown recipe tonight with Peach Street distillery Colorado Pear Brandy

[​IMG]

It is divine, I really like the character that the pear brandy adds.

14. Ratman

Ratman

15. bum732

bum732

Finally sat down to follow-up tasting notes:

[​IMG]

-Clyde Common recipe: Sweetest of the four, i can't tell if it's supposed to be this sweet, or if the tequila and sherry i used imparted sweetness. I would definitely use less sugar next time, but this was really scary crushable. Interestingly, not super different than a more traditional eggnog recipe, again, maybe using quality tequila goes a long way, but I was expecting this to be really different compared to the others.

-Cook's Illustrated recipe: Most balanced of the four, everything is well integrated, and i think letting the eggs and booze sit for 3 weeks before adding the dairy is something I will be utilizing moving forward. Could be a bit more bold, perhaps a different kind of liquor or upping the ABV slightly.

-Ruhlsman recipe: Just a caveat, i decreased the amount of bourbon slightly from the recipe so it wouldn't be so hot. Still, very boozy, which I don't mind too much. I would say aging this would mellow the alcohol, however.....

-Ruhlsman recipe, 1 year old: Made this last year, been sitting in my keezer for the past year without me really touching it. Surprisingly boozy, about as boozy as this years batch, however, it should be noted, this is the true recipe, so has highest ABV of all 4. All that being said, the most well integrated eggnog and by far, the creamiest. Aging really brings the mouthfeel and body together. Both Ruhlsman recipes probably need the egg whites folded in to really highlight this nog, but I was too lazy to do it.

So there you go, not sure if i want to try aging the 1 yr. nog for another year, but I was pretty impressed how age affected the end product. If i had to choose by preference: Ruhlsman 1yr, Cooks illustrated, Ruhlsman young and then Clydes Common. Not to take anything away, these were all delicious. Probably will try utilizing different liquor combinations next holiday season, but this was a fun experiment.

-

16. flexabull

flexabull

Halp.

I'm a total eggnog newb, (except store bought stuff) is there a decent recipe that I can whip up this week for Christmas morning?

lambandtunaphish likes this.
  17. Os

Os

flexabull likes this.
  18. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Selected one of the recipes I posted last year from my 1971 Playboy cocktail book for NYE Nog. I'll give a review after the party.

While researching, I ran across a Tom and Jerry recipe where I can make a season's worth of batter and freeze in single use cubes for individual drinks. I am tabling this for next year, but I am excited to have found it.

arren, FTowne and Os like this.
  19. TheBus

TheBus

Seasonal bump as it seems to be a good time to do some mixing. Going for the Alton Brown/TB - Maple Syrup substitute this year. This also afforded me the thought to check in on last years batch and it's incredibly good.

[​IMG]

DougOLis, Gene, BeersMorgan and 3 others like this.
  20. arren

arren

I'm planning on making the Ruhlman nog for the special occasions, and the Morgenthaler tequila-brandy nog for everyday situations. Haven't yet tried the former yet, but the latter is ridiculously good, especially for a more "sessionable" nog.

DougOLis, Gene and TheBus like this.