'Tis the Season for Eggnog!

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by Michigan, Nov 18, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. regularjohn

regularjohn

rum ham?
    [​IMG]

waltersrj, Phischy, kevanb and 7 others like this.
  2. bum732

bum732

I'll be making the cooks country version with a little more booze and maybe the Alton Brown version. I also have a 2 yr. Old Ruhlman recipe sitting in the kegerator...

Gene, arren and TheBus like this.
  3. shadowane

shadowane

I'll definitely make the Alton Brown version again but I may do the variant where you leave out the dairy and only age the eggs, sugar, and alcohol.

arren likes this.
  4. harrymel

harrymel

Why?

5. shadowane

shadowane

There were some articles I read after making it last year where they said it tastes better having fresh dairy in it but letting the alcohol and eggs sit still mellows out the alcohol.. It may have been a serious eats article where I read it. Let me see if I can find it.

edit: This is the article I'm talking about: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/is-aging-holiday-eggnog-worth-it.html. Kenji does mention there is a Cook's Illustrated article where they mention doing what I suggest above. Lets see if I can find that one.

edit2: Some places also suggest just aging it for 3 weeks instead of months.

6. TheBus

TheBus

Alton’s recipe nowadays no longer omits egg whites.
    http://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

I made a version this year and added the whites forgetting that I left them out last year.

Has anyone followed through aging one of AB’s aged nogs with egg whites for a year? I made two portions, one for this year and one for next. However, since I added whites, I may consume both unless tried and tested here.

7. auracom

auracom

I'm doing this recipe very soon. Got a half bottle of IW Harper that resides in my 'not drinking neat' category that I'd love to kill using this. May omit the rum and just roll with extra bourbon and cognac.

TheBus likes this.
  8. shadowane

shadowane

The recipe you linked still omits the egg whites. It's 12 eggs in the ingredients but then you separate them in step 1 and use the whites elsewhere. Unless I'm missing something.

Gene and TheBus like this.
  9. TheBus

TheBus

Appreciate it. You’d think it would just say 12 yolks in the ingredient list. Although I’m sure most are more thorough than myself.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  10. shadowane

shadowane

Yeah presenting your ingredients as 12 eggs and then telling you to only use yolks is pretty bizarre. I'm sure it'll turn out fine but just thinner since you've added a lot of extra liquid to the batch in the whites.

This thread getting bumped does remind me that I should make a half batch for myself though. I really enjoyed having it last year.

Phin and TheBus like this.
  11. franch

franch

i have a half-full growler of this stuff from last year that i am petrified to open

12. shadowane

shadowane

If it was in the refrigerator, it should be just fine.

13. franch

franch

yes it is and was!

14. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72

Drinking some Alton Brown Nog from last year right now in preparation of making a new batch tomorrow. If you can manage to let this stuff sit in the fridge for a year... do it. It’s a damn fine beverage.

15. waltersrj

waltersrj

I made my batch of the AB Egg Nog a few weeks ago for Thanksgiving. Tried a little sip last night and it is pretty damn amazing. The consistency is perfect and the alcohol flavor is so mellow and great. Instead of doing 1 cup each of bourbon, rum, and cognac I did 2 cups of bourbon and spiced rum. I had read that some people felt it didn't have enough alcohol flavor in it. I think this is something that I will make a double batch of for Christmas and it will be a new Holiday tradition for me. So great! Cheers all!

DougOLis likes this.
  16. DougOLis

DougOLis

I usually do something pretty similar. I find AB's recipe to be slightly weak and Ruhlman's to be slightly strong so I usually split the difference between the 2.

waltersrj likes this.
  17. omgeezo

omgeezo

Maybe has already been discussed, but any issues with not using pasteurized eggs?

Made the Alton Brown recipe and folks are trying to pull the salmonella card.

18. sherm1016

sherm1016

Tell them to go pound sand.

Salmonella in eggs is extremely rare.

And alcohol in egg nog has been scientifically proven to kill salmonella.

19. waltersrj

waltersrj

Egg nog has been made for hundreds of years using egg yolks, sugar, dairy, and madeira/port or liquor and would've probably been a discontinued practice if people were getting sick and dying.

omgeezo likes this.
  20. shadowane

shadowane

Just look up articles about the egg nog. Any bacteria is killed by the alcohol within 24 hours or so.

waltersrj and omgeezo like this.