'Tis the Season for Eggnog!

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by Michigan, Nov 18, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. shadowane

shadowane

arren likes this.
  2. shadowane

shadowane

Finally made a half batch this weekend. Went with bourbon, brandy, and rum but could only get average types of each because the state store near me sucks ass and I forgot about that. Should still taste good.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Going rum forward with my liqour blend - Diplomatico for spice and a little jamaican overproof for molasses. Using Christian Bros for the brandy because that's what we have from last year.

I'm uncertain on what whiskey to use. I generally prefer rye to bourbon for egg nog, but have used a more neutral rum or more pedestrian spiced rum before. Will rye mint and spice muddy things up or compliment the rums? I'm leaning towards the former and using bourbon instead, open to other ideas.

Lognar?

Gonzoillini, Lognar and FTowne like this.
  4. sherm1016

sherm1016

Making 3-ish gallons this evening for the family party tomorrow. Similar recipe to what's back at the beginning of this thread.

18 eggs
    2L+ of Rum/Whiskey
    Half Gallon or so of Milk/Cream
    Sugar

I am excite.

5. Lognar

Lognar

I appreciate the tag, but I actually don't make my own eggnog. I don't really even drink eggnog. It's not that I don't like it - it's just not on my radar during the holidays.

6. sherm1016

sherm1016

I'm generally indifferent between Rye and Bourbon in Egg Nog, especially in one that is Rum and/or Brandy forward. I suspect you'll barely notice the whiskey, at least that's been my experience.

Snarf likes this.
  7. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

This sounds terrible but I have some Southern Tier OG pastry stout action that needs to gtfo my cellar that may find itself in a Tom and Jerry.

8. sherm1016

sherm1016

Wouldn’t this cook off all the alcohol?

9. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

This whole book is fully of either "no brainer" recipes or not well executed recipes, and yes, yes it would. Nothing about the execution of that recipe sounds good or easy or food safe. :eek:

I did, however, make the recipe for beer balls (which are similar in form but not ingredients) to rum balls, but I declined to follow the instruction of melting chocolate in the microwave, when I have a double boiler. Will maybe post something in the food pr0n thread if they are edible.

sherm1016 likes this.
  10. franch

franch

just tried my 2k16 egg nog. still awesome.

11. ripps1

ripps1

[​IMG]

Had to post this in here.

Cheers

12. Snarf

Snarf

Yes, but you've got a cocktail mind! I can't stand eggnog myself. I enjoy rich and savory, but rich and sweet not so much. Diplomatico Reserva and Wray & Nephew was a big hit, although I think people were equally if not more enamored by the whole nutmeg and zester.

Lognar, FTowne and lambandtunaphish like this.
  13. whitehouse50

whitehouse50

Made my AB egg nog last night to get ready for winter festivities, as I like it with at least six months on it. Used Old Forester 100, Courvosier VS, and Pyrat rum. I keep forgetting to add in some sherry too, oh well next time.

14. Carolinabeerguy

Carolinabeerguy

Just made my batch for this winter. I doubled Alton’s recipe this time and only ended up with maybe 8 oz more than last year. No idea what the difference is, but it’s gonna be pretty boozy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  15. neorunner

neorunner

Size of the eggs used?

16. Carolinabeerguy

Carolinabeerguy

That would be the only real variable.

lambandtunaphish likes this.
  17. GRDave

GRDave

Oh man, forgot to post in here. I have a friend who has made AB egg nog for years. I finally tried it last Xmas. Made my batch aug 5th
    [​IMG]
    Waiting is the hardest part

18. BeersMorgan

BeersMorgan

ISO HF swing tops filled with nog

19. shadowane

shadowane

For those that don't have the time right now to make it but feel like they are failing doing so, serious eats did a pseudo-scientific taste test and didn't find the longer aging to add a ton to it. You can read it here:
    https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/is-aging-holiday-eggnog-worth-it.html

The tl;dr of it is that they liked it at about 3 weeks. Also that you can age the eggs + booze and add the dairy later. Really, do what you want because it all just tastes different.

20. DougOLis

DougOLis

Has anyone had theirs separate before during the aging process? I just noticed that a bottle from last year that I was doing some extended aging on had separated into a large creamy layer on top and then about a 1 inch clearish layer at the bottom.