'Tis the Season for Eggnog!

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by Michigan, Nov 18, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. shadowane

shadowane

I want to say I've heard of that happening. Just shake it up .

souredstouts and DougOLis like this.
  2. Gene

Gene Just happy to be here Contributor

Always happens to mine. I just shake it up before serving.

3. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

Have you tried any other recipes for T&J? Seen any that explicitly use duck eggs? Asking for a friend.

4. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

I am sure you can use duck eggs. Just mind the ratios for size. Note that I drank a fair number of T&Js last winter and I have a third to half of the batter left frozen. Also don't be my dumb ass and try to freeze it into cubes. There is so much sugar it won't spoil or freeze. Just divide the batter and put one in the fridge and one in the freezer. It won't freeze, but it will be out of your way. Mine is in weird lumps in a freezer bag, but I am going to have to use a spatula to get it out.

SAISON FUCK likes this.
  5. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

SAISON FUCK This is actually a pretty great way to use... maybe 10 duck eggs at a batch. Or a whole bunch and just start gifting batter to your friends (thanks, fam).

I recommend for the actual drinks going brandy over rum, or doing 50/50 brandy and rum. I usually spoon in a sizable dollop of batter, pour on some brandy, rum, whatever the fuck else I feel like using up - the batter makes the flavor, I have made one with a whole bottle of Schramm's Nutmeg before into an oversize mug, which tastes great, but you will feel the diabetes coursing through your body, maybe don't drink that one bottle at a time. That is way too much sugar. I wouldn't use gin, but I have used the Few Malört that doesn't taste like Malört to good result. If you make a restaurant sized batch you will have enough to last all winter and will want to change it up, but definitely grab a whole handle of Brandy. And then fill with hot water, because it is a hot drink.

6. SAISON FUCK

SAISON FUCK

I usually use cognac because I am a fancy boy.

trickytunadicky likes this.
  7. Phischy

Phischy

Finally made the AB aged Nog around Nov 1. Single batch went into 3 of the rouge ceramic flip top bottles I happens to locate the day before. Finally found a use for them after hanging onto them for over a decade.

Not as sweet as the store bought stuff. Planning to make another batch later in December to age for next Christmas.

8. shadowane

shadowane

The thing I like the most about AB egg nog is how well integrated the liquor is with the egg nog besides the fact that it tastes better. Just throwing alcohol into a glass of egg nog generally just results in a shot of liquor at the bottom for me.

Phischy likes this.
  9. Phischy

Phischy

I will change the booze I use next time, as I just had what was on hand and I think a better blend will result in a richer taste. It was fun and easy to make. I used my brewing supplies to sanitized everything for long term storage but batch 1 won't make it past new years.

10. shadowane

shadowane

I sanitized nothing and it has lasted a year. The alcohol does a good job with that.

11. Phischy

Phischy

I'm sure, I just had a sink full of starsan so why not?

12. shadowane

shadowane

oh yeah totally. Was just saying for others that I didn't bother and it was fine.

On a separate note, I find it interesting that the clyde commons version has whole eggs while Alton only uses yolks. I guess it ends up a bit lighter as a result of the extra liquid?

13. auracom

auracom

cracked my 1 year old alton-style nog tonight. nothing malevolent here... just bourbon-soaked cherries sprinkled with sugar. solid.

[​IMG]

14. shadowane

shadowane

I'm going to make the tequila and sherry one over Christmas. I don't want to spend a ton of something that I'm mixing up with milk and eggs, but any suggestions on reasonably priced tequila and sherry that are decent?

edit: I know nothing about hard liquor hence the question.

GregorySingh likes this.
  15. BeersMorgan

BeersMorgan

No idea how it'll work in nog but Espolon reposado is $19-24 and is pretty solid tequila, and if you bump up to anejo it's only like $10 more

16. shadowane

shadowane

Cool thanks, I'll check it out.

17. harrymel

harrymel

Gonna bang a 2 year old bottle tonight.

If I die the rest can be sent out in a LIF

Kthx

18. GregorySingh

GregorySingh

I made my Alton brown nog, this year, with a few ounces of PX sherry. It really cranked it up to the next level for me. I also didn’t use any brandy, just bourbon and rye.

GRDave likes this.
  19. GregorySingh

GregorySingh

Been using that Espolon Reposado for Southbound Suarez cocktails, and it has been working great. Really great value!

20. AndresR

AndresR Premium Supporter Contributor

My GF freaked out when she found my 1 year old nog in the back of the fridge, and tossed it!

Man.

GregorySingh and GRDave like this.