Everywhere Tokyo?

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by cneville, May 11, 2016.

1. cneville

cneville

Random work trip to Tokyo got scheduled today for next week. Will have part of next Thursday and Friday and all of Sunday on my own. Staying in Shiodome? I think? I know jack shit about Tokyo but if anyone has any cool spots (booze or otherwise) that I can hit I'm looking for recommendations. Thanks TB!

2. MrKennedy

MrKennedy

The Yushukan war museum/shrine was pretty intense, but i'd recommend.

Also the Meiji Jingu shrine is worth checking out.

If the Yomiuri Giants are playing baseball at the Tokyo Dome, i'd recommend it, great atmosphere.

For bottle shops, Liquors Hasegawa has some Japanese beers (there are two Liquors Hasegawa in Tokyo station). The better one is near Daimaru department store (outside the ticketed part of the station). Tanakaya (walk off the train at Mejiro station and turn left from the station and walk about 100m) has a great whisky selection and more international beers etc. It is cash only.

For bars,
    • Devilcraft in Kanda (tiny place, 5 floors), about 16 taps and really good pizza. It was probably my favourite.
    • Brimmer Beer box is unique (a bar inside a shipping container).
    • Craftheads has a big name because of the US beers and whisky selection.
    • Goodbeer Faucets has about 40 taps and generally fun stuff to drink.
    • Popeye is a long standing bar (about 30 years). Has 80 odd taps and generally pretty busy. It is located right near the Ryogoku JR Rail station (this is the one near the Tokyo home of Sumo wrestling). Probably the best place to find lots of Japanese beer on tap.
    • Baird bar in Harajuku has more US influenced beers (made in Japan)...there is a lot of US beer to be found in Japan.
    • TY Harbor Smokehouse (the best way to find it is to find the Oakley O store) was nice, good staff and food.
    • Ushitora is also a nice place to drink and eat with some good Japanese beers on tap. I found it hard to find, took me about an hour or two of wandering around Shimokitazawa.
    I have a friend who lived there for a few years, he suggested to me that the best thing to do to enjoy Tokyo is to buy a Suica card (for train/subway) and get out at a station and just wander around and check it out. You certainly see a lot a get a good feel for the place. Just remember the trains stop at 0100hrs (not at the end of the line...i.e. if the next stop is at 0100, the train stops there for the night).

Hope that helps and enjoy your time there.

3. cneville

cneville

forgot to thank you, this is super helpful! leaving tomorrow, will report back.

MrKennedy likes this.
  4. MrKennedy

MrKennedy

Enjoy!! I did a bit of looking around afterwards and it looks like Brimmer Beet Box has closed down. A bit of a shame.

Anyway, still plenty of places to check out.

cneville likes this.
  5. Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Zoetrope in Shinjuku is a tiny, cozy place with scotch and whisky only. The bartender was playing a silent black and white film in the background

cneville likes this.
  6. cneville

cneville

This was on my list. Looked really cool.