Everywhere Tokyo?

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by cneville, May 11, 2016.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. Tyrsis

Tyrsis

It really varies. I live in San Diego, and I was able to score tickets out of LAX for $420 - which is insanely cheap. It would have cost twice that usually. Sign up for "Scott's Cheap Flights" and wait for a fare to pop up. Japan usually pops up once a month at least.
    I was really surprised how cheap Tokyo was - both food and alcohol. Yeah it can get pricey if you're going to the five star sushi places, but honestly even cheap sushi was as good or better than the shit in the states.

gregkoko, FoudreGuy and jeevo like this.
  2. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Ramen is so damn good and cheap.

3. seedavid

seedavid

I took the cheapest flight I could find, used CC points to pay for most of it, and stayed in a hostel with 4 friends, so I managed to keep it pretty cheap. Public transit is fast, reliable, and ubiquitous, but my favorite mode of transportation was, by far, my feet. The food I really wanted to eat mostly came from hole in the wall type places, markets, or the back of a van at 2AM. Most of the sight-seeing I wanted to do was free or fairly cheap (except for the bullet train to/from Kyoto). Picking a neighborhood or two a day with some bullet points you want to hit, but wandering around and between those spots, was what I did, and I thought got a great feel for the different areas. I mean, my gf and I make money, but we're certainly not rich, so trust me when I say that Tokyo can absolutely be done on a budget.

Tokyo was amazing and magical and I fucking loved it. I'm 32 and it was my first real international trip, so I have a lot of other places to see and things to experience. But slamming Japanese beers with my friends on a bullet train from Kyoto to Tokyo on Thanksgiving, getting shithoused on highballs and homemade apple whiskey in a bar the size of my bathroom, eating outrageously fresh sushi for breakfast, seeing a live Pro Wrestling NOAH show at Korakuen Hall--all of it--was just a truly unique experience that I'm going to be chasing for the rest of my life. That is, until I go back. Which I absolutely will.

4. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

2010 we went to a Yomiuri Giants game, drank 40s of Suntory All Malts Beer, then off to an all you can eat and drink Brazilian steakhouse for two hours. Then took our unfinished bottles and finished them as we stumbled over to Baird’s Harajuku Taproom for some Suruga Bay DIPAs. Then almost got in a fight on the JR with some dudes on the way to Kabukicho. Then went to a Yakuza-run bar and those dudes were there but my buddy (married to a Japanese gal, lived there for 15 years) sweet talked them so instead of fighting we ate gyoza an drank beers with them until we got on the JR and stumbled back to our place in Yanaka. Where I watched professional men’s volleyball on TV and puked while my wife went shopping the next day.

Goddamn I love going to Japan. I’m glad others do, too.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Tyrsis and seedavid like this.
  5. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Off to Tokyo in a couple weeks. Anyone have bottle shop recommendations? I think I found a diamond in the rough (Liquors Nodaya) while wandering our neighborhood on Google Maps and I'll probably hit Tanakaya, but anything else would be recommended. I'd love to get a bottle of a beer aged in a Ichiro's Malt barrel but not holding my breath.

[​IMG]

The vending machine outside Nodaya. I love Japan.

And there's a Liquor Mountain near our place in Kyoto, so maybe we'll get lucky and find a nice whiskey for my wife to bring home. A recent GIS showed some 3,000 yen bottles of Hakushu which would work.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    MrKennedy likes this.
  6. MrKennedy

MrKennedy

Try Liquors Hasegawa in/near Tokyo station for the Japanese beers. Otherwise, if you catch the train to Otsuka, Titans bar and bottleshop is good for grabbing a beer to drink while you have a look at bottles and cans for takeaway.

7. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Titans is too US-focused for my liking. I think I hit Hasegawa back in 2014 for some Shinkansen beers.

I’d love to track down something aged in an Ichiro’s Malt barrel. Anything. Not picky.

Damn shame that the Japanese contingent over at Rate Beer bailed on that place after the purchase. I don’t blame them but they were a great resource.

8. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Went out with some friends from Tokyo on Monday night. One of them works for a beer distributor so he brought along a couple brewer friends from Distant Shore Brewing as well. Hit up Vector Beer Factory (cheapest craft beer in Japan I swear. 500 yen pints of their beers during happy hour WOW) in Shinjuku and Watering Hole in Yoyogi. The juice is loose in Japan as well, had a hazy milkshake chestnut DIPA on nitro from Repubrew and a really nice hazy IPA made by Hitachino under their Brewbase collaboration line.

9. reidjoshua

reidjoshua

Any new developments in Japan...? heading there for most of Feb next week.

10. FoudreGuy

FoudreGuy

Get some bottles of Ichiro's Malt Barrel Aged beers, and bring me one back. Please kthxbye..

11. reidjoshua

reidjoshua

Any ideas where I can find it?

12. Tyrsis

Tyrsis

bring me a case of Suntory highball cans, please and thank you

seedavid likes this.
  13. BoatsAndHoes

BoatsAndHoes

14. BoatsAndHoes

BoatsAndHoes

15. BoatsAndHoes

BoatsAndHoes

Here for a few more days if anyone has suggestions...thanks! :)

Where do I find Sakura Zima?

Lutter and BigFrank like this.
  16. Lutter

Lutter

That Okonomiyaki looks killer.

Try to find some breweries.

Maybe stop by Tokyo DisneySea and pick Lutter up some merch? ;)

From my understanding 7-11 has you covered for Zima.

BoatsAndHoes and BigFrank like this.