Trademark Disputes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSTroller

Reaction score
Plenty to discuss between breweries or between brewery and winery, but now owners have to worry about their own crazy, antiquated family members?
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/phyllis-schlafly-family-in-beer-trademark-dispute/

To many older Americans, the Schlafly name is most closely associated with Phyllis Schlafly, the conservative commentator known for her campaign to defeat the Equal Rights Amendment in the 1970s.

wMdFq3l.gif

You take that back right now!

Does Schlafly make anything good? I admit I've only had their regular lineup but did not like any of them. Also, I was including Anheuser-Busch in that statement since they were mentioned in the article.

Commence argument about Goose Island/Bourbon County being an Anheuser-Busch product...

Does Schlafly make anything good? I admit I've only had their regular lineup but did not like any of them. Also, I was including Anheuser-Busch in that statement since they were mentioned in the article.

Commence argument about Goose Island/Bourbon County being an Anheuser-Busch product...
Their IPAs are very good, and their barrel aged beers are solid.

Their IPAs are very good, and their barrel aged beers are solid.
This. Seasonal IPA's are nice as well as their BA Stout and BW. They always have nice draft only selections as well.

For the record, I doubt anyone (locally) will ever confuse Schlafly beer with a batshit crazy, right wing extremist old *****.

I wish people would stop using "conservative" and "liberal" to describe a set of moral beliefs or even political parties... It really confuses the meaning to the point that people can't even have intelligent political discourse anymore without thinking "being against alcohol" is a conservative concept or abortion is something "liberals do"...

i'm pretty sure conservatives, ie: conservative in the role/power of the government, would say drink/smoke/nameyourbrewery whatever the **** you want.

#offtopicpolicialrantguy
#notthepointofthepost
#weirdpetpeaves

I wish people would stop using "conservative" and "liberal" to describe a set of moral beliefs or even political parties... It really confuses the meaning to the point that people can't even have intelligent political discourse anymore without thinking "being against alcohol" is a conservative concept or abortion is something "liberals do"...

i'm pretty sure conservatives, ie: conservative in the role/power of the government, would say drink/smoke/nameyourbrewery whatever the **** you want.

#offtopicpolicialrantguy
#notthepointofthepost
#weirdpetpeaves
Point well taken. I should have just left it at extremist.

Point well taken. I should have just left it at extremist.

Actually, i didn't even read your post, i was referring to the article, but appreciate the response nonetheless! I suppose i'm actually ok with people saying "republican" or "democrat" when referring to this ****, as i would say each of those groups are just half conservative/liberal anyway and that's what the commenter usually means... and anymore "right wing/left wing" and "republican/democrat" are nearly (sadly) interchangeable...

But for real, that bat is probably a crazy "republican" extremist that should read a book before she tries to play politics....

Back on topic, yay beer and stuff!

Seems like this lawsuit has "joke" written all over it. Her name isn't exclusive and if it is, why not file this suit 20 years ago when the brewery first started up? Lawyers suck sometimes as much as the people they represent.

I like the last paragraph of the article, Tom is a visionary!!
""She has fans and critics," he said. "I want to sell to both of them. The last thing I want to do is antagonize her followers because I hope they drink Schlafly beer, too.""

Seems like this lawsuit has "joke" written all over it. Her name isn't exclusive and if it is, why not file this suit 20 years ago when the brewery first started up? Lawyers suck sometimes as much as the people they represent.

I like the last paragraph of the article, Tom is a visionary!!
""She has fans and critics," he said. "I want to sell to both of them. The last thing I want to do is antagonize her followers because I hope they drink Schlafly beer, too.""

It's actually quite outside-the-box thinking in the current craft beer market where a lot of brewers seemingly don't want people to drink their beer.

The Tasmanian IPA is ****ing delicious. That would be a constant beer in my fridge if I had regular access to it.

Does anybody know what happened with the Golden Road vs. Golden Rod thing?

Strange Brew vs. Strange Brewing settled but I haven't heard details....

Also, I think ABinbev and Big Sky settled (AB violated Big Sky's trademark or catchphrase or something).
There are more I can't recall now.

Lawyers suck sometimes as much as the people they represent.

I can't grasp this concept, despite its overwhelming trendiness.

Does a mechanic suck who works on a customer's Ford. . .because you're a Chevy guy and think Fords suck?

Does a doctor suck for treating a patient with poor lifestyle choices (obesity, smoking) etc?

If someone wants hamburger from the butcher instead of a ribeye, does the butcher suck if he gives the customer what he wants?

Does the realtor suck who sells a home to people who turn out to be dirtbag neighbors?

Does the bartender suck who gives the customer that Bud Light he ordered, when there is Pliny on tap?

She is pretty much a walking corpse at this point. I met her about three years ago, and we chatted for about 20 minutes. Physical welfare aside, I would have an easy time believing dementia has set in, unless of course she was always such an intellectual lightweight.

I can't grasp this concept, despite its overwhelming trendiness.

Does a mechanic suck who works on a customer's Ford. . .because you're a Chevy guy and think Fords suck?

Does a doctor suck for treating a patient with poor lifestyle choices (obesity, smoking) etc?

If someone wants hamburger from the butcher instead of a ribeye, does the butcher suck if he gives the customer what he wants?

Does the realtor suck who sells a home to people who turn out to be dirtbag neighbors?

Does the bartender suck who gives the customer that Bud Light he ordered, when there is Pliny on tap?

Asked like a true lawyer!!

I should have been more specific, lawyers that suck are the clash action type, and the one's who file frivolous lawsuits.
Many lawyers serve a purpose, but the bad one's stereotype the good one's, as it is in most businesses. First that comes to mind are car dealerships and car salespersons, lots of good one's out there, but....

Sorry if I offended you Legal Beagle!!! :p

Asked like a true lawyer!!

I should have been more specific, lawyers that suck are the clash action type, and the one's who file frivolous lawsuits.
Many lawyers serve a purpose, but the bad one's stereotype the good one's, as it is in most businesses. First that comes to mind are car dealerships and car salespersons, lots of good one's out there, but....

Sorry if I offended you Legal Beagle!!! :p

You didn't offend me. I just wondered about the hypocrisy and the trend, what it is rooted in. Was hoping to hear an explanation based in reason, specifics etc. . . but oh well.

Class action lawsuits can help people who can't afford to challenge a large corporation. Exxon, Wal Mart etc. . . they have deep pockets that the average person can't possibly envision going up against all alone. Multi national billion $$$ corporations hate class action lawsuits.

Every profession has bad apples.

You didn't offend me. I just wondered about the hypocrisy and the trend, what it is rooted in. Was hoping to hear an explanation based in reason, specifics etc. . . but oh well.

Class action lawsuits can help people who can't afford to challenge a large corporation. Exxon, Wal Mart etc. . . they have deep pockets that the average person can't possibly envision going up against all alone. Multi national billion $$$ corporations hate class action lawsuits.

Every profession has bad apples.
I'm not a plaintiffs lawyer but I'll add that most plaintiffs attorneys couldn't bother with "frivolous" lawsuits because if they are indeed frivolous, the results will not justify the time they will need to spend to bring the case in the first place. Not to mention that there are rules of conduct that prevent most truly non-meritorious claims from being filed.

In my experience, whenever I have met someone with negative connotations of lawyers, they themselves have never had any negative experience with a lawyer. Just don't get it.

This guy is one I can think of who gets under my skin. He's constantly going after businesses and I know for a fact that if a business isn't compliant with his request for money, paid direct to him, then he files suit. I personally know a business owner who he rattled with legal papers wanting to extort $5K from his business to not file suit.
Here's my bad apple, I apologize if I offended the lawyers here who do the peoples work.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20110508/NEWS/110509912

This guy is one I can think of who gets under my skin. He's constantly going after businesses and I know for a fact that if a business isn't compliant with his request for money, paid direct to him, then he files suit. I personally know a business owner who he rattled with legal papers wanting to extort $5K from his business to not file suit.
Here's my bad apple, I apologize if I offended the lawyers here who do the peoples work.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20110508/NEWS/110509912
Sounds like your beef is with the law itself. For better or for worse, the ADA is enforced through private law suits.

Back