Europe (Other) Traveling to Iceland

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Dooley, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Dooley

Dooley

I'm heading to Reykjavik next week. Going to stay downtown and check out a music festival, but I don't have any solid plans otherwise.

Anybody ever been? Microbar and Mikkeller look like the obvious places the stop, but I was wondering if there's any other, more obscure joints you'd recommend? Or, you know, if you think I should do something other than drink, I'd be open to your suggestions.

Also, on the off chance that any of you live there or will be there next week, get ahold of me. I can bring beer.

2. cneville

cneville

going to iceland but only staying in reykjavik?????????? you crazy for that one. buy brennevin at the duty free on the way in. don't eat hakarl. thank me later.

Dooley likes this.
  3. Dooley

Dooley

We're staying in Reykjavik but we will rent a car and travel elsewhere.

cneville likes this.
  4. gunnarolis

gunnarolis

Guessing you were at Secret Solstice and left Iceland by now?

5. Dooley

Dooley

Still in town, actually. Heading to Mikkeller around 2300

blatherbeard likes this.
  6. Dunt

Dunt

Iceland is our big trip next year, think I might try scheduling it around a day or two of Airwaves then hit the Golden Circle for a week or so.

Digita7693 likes this.
  7. Dooley

Dooley

Golden Circle only takes a day to get through. A week will take you around the whole country.

Digita7693 likes this.
  8. cneville

cneville

assuming you meant ring road. make sure to book lodging eaaaaaaaaarly on some stops--it's really limited in the winter as far as what places are open to stay. unless you're crazy enough to camp in november.

9. gunnarolis

gunnarolis

Yeeeaaaahhhh, your'e not gonna camp in November here.

10. matedog

matedog

Heading out for a week at the end of September. Per recs, only spending a day or two in Reykjavik before venturing out on the ring. While in Reykjavik, any must visit beer spots? Mikkeller or Microbar I see mentioned above.

11. Dunt

Dunt

We are scheduled for a week in August. Has anyone ever done Campervans?

http://www.campervaniceland.com/

Thinking about just saying fuck it to finding lodging and booking one of these bad boys.

12. gunnarolis

gunnarolis

Dunt likes this.
  13. Dunt

Dunt

Any sightseeing advice for someone that is planning on driving route 1?

14. gunnarolis

gunnarolis

Shoot me a pm. Ill give you some advice.

15. jodan

jodan

Wow, didn't expect to find this here. Going this week for a few days. 2 basically free days in Reykjavik while the lady is traveling/working, and 2 days with a rental car for venturing as much we can. Any pointers beer or otherwise?

16. gregkoko

gregkoko

Come back with a lengthy report please. I'm going next month!

jodan likes this.
  17. Dunt

Dunt

We enjoyed Micro Bar. Didn't end up hitting Mikkeller and Friends because we were going to hit some of their bars in Copenhagen. Borg Brugghus probably makes the best local beer that we tried. Plan on spending a lot of money, it's a crazy expensive country.

As for other pointers, get out of Reykjavik and start driving. Reykjavik is fine, but it pales in comparison to other major Nordic cities. The countryside is where it's at. If you go east on 1, you will hit a lot of tourists. That is where many of the major sites that are convenient from Reykjavik are. If you go that way, make sure to get to Vatnajokull and Jokulsarlon. If you want more isolation, I would go west through the Snaefellsnes Peninsula and Westfjords.

Oh, and if you want the most fire hot dogs you'll ever have in your life, go to Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur in Reykjavik.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    gregkoko and Digita7693 like this.
  18. Digita7693

Digita7693

For Reykjavik I will add Reykjavik Roasters for great coffee, and the free walking tour as a must do, and Golden Circle; Blue Lagoon, while touristy, is still pretty amazing, granted there are other places. Wife and I plan to go back in August.

gregkoko likes this.
  19. gregkoko

gregkoko

Roasters and Walking Tour are on the list. Debating renting a car for Golden Circle. Have heard Blue Lagoon is fun, but debating doing Secret Lagoon instead. Though we're only there for three nights so not sure how much we'll be able to get out of Reykjavik. Main focus of this trip is seeing the Northern Lights one night.

20. matedog

matedog

Second what most said above. Micro Bar was good, but unspectacular. Miekkeller was a really cool building, but my draft beer was like $20-$25. And the bottles were pretty damn pricey too:
    [​IMG]
    My best beer experience was at R5 Micro Bar in Akureyri, but that's a bit far. And Borg Brugghus is pretty tasty, though they had some duds.

Blue Lagoon was cool. We got there right when it opened which seemed like the optimal time. In the other direction, Snaefellsnes peninsula is pretty amazing and not too far from Reykjavik.

gregkoko likes this.