Europe (Other) Traveling to Iceland

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by Dooley, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Digita7693

Digita7693

Do both! Car for the Circle.
    And take it you know about this:
    http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/
    I was obsessively watching whilst in Finland recently.

gregkoko likes this.
  2. jodan

jodan

Thanks for the info! Walking tour has defintely been added to the list, sounds exactly like something we'll enjoy. Probably going the Golden Circle/Secret Lagoon route, maybe the 1 on the southern side some too.
    The resourcefullness of all you jerks is amazing!

gregkoko and Digita7693 like this.
  3. cneville

cneville

if you can head east to vik it would be a pretty awesome place to see the lights, and it's probalby only a 2 hour drive. i was there in Nov 2009 and while we didn't see the lights, we got really stoned on a hill right behind the HI hostel there and it was pretty awesome. i've heard it's really, really different in iceland these days compared to 09 given the amount of tourism. you could also drive to dyrholaey, and the black sand beaches at vik are awesome too.

gregkoko and matedog like this.
  4. matedog

matedog

We had a great dinner at Suður-Vík Restaurant in Vik if jodan makes it out there.

gregkoko, jodan and cneville like this.
  5. cneville

cneville

just to elaborate on how different it is now--november 09, there was not a single restaurant in Vik open that time of year, and i am pretty sure the HI hostel was the only available lodging. crazy times given the global recession and icelandic financial meltdown.

6. matedog

matedog

I would imagine there are a lot of annoyances these days for Icelanders with the rampant tourism. It was hard not to jump on a $400 roundtrip ticket from San Francisco though.

gregkoko and Digita7693 like this.
  7. Dunt

Dunt

I've never been there before this year, but I was shocked at the amount of tourists there were. You can definitely get to parts of the country where there is fucking nobody, but you are driving a little.

Pro tip jodan: If you are going to be renting a car, make sure the CC you have with no foreign transaction fees has a chip. Their gas stations require chip cards and there aren't many stations once you get out into the country.

gregkoko and jodan like this.
  8. jodan

jodan

Awesome, that was exactly what we were thinking about doing. Looks like there are some options in Vik now.

gregkoko likes this.
  9. jodan

jodan

If I didn't wait an extra day, my airfare would've been under 300 before Wow bag fees. Still cheap though, and since the GF was going for work anyhow, no-brainer.

10. Dunt

Dunt

Edit: Your card needs a PIN, not a chip. My card had a chip, but not a PIN number.

gregkoko likes this.
  11. jodan

jodan

That's on my to do list, she thinks of everything ahead of time. I have no idea if my card has a PIN.

Absolutely!

gregkoko and Dunt like this.
  12. gunnarolis

gunnarolis

Hey guys!

If you want some local advice you can shoot me a message. Yes, the tourism has been increasing pretty heavily in the last few years. Will probably slow down a bit with the currency getting stronger.

The weather has been very nice for a December, best I remember for the 15 years I have lived in Reykjavík. Think it is supposed to stay that way...

If you wanna swap some bottles while here, also shoot me a pm!

Cheers,
    Gunnar.

Dunt, DougOLis, matedog and 1 other person like this.
  13. matedog

matedog

One tidbit that surprised me is that we had some amazing meals throughout Iceland. I expected everything to buy dried fish and pickled veggies. Great restaurants are expensive, but not hard to find.

Digita7693 and gregkoko like this.
  14. planbee

planbee

I'm going to be in Iceland in late February, coinciding with the Icelandic Beer Festival. It wasn't planned...it just happened that way. I'm pretty excited for that and a lot of other things, but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the event. It seems like a great deal at $85, even if i don't make it to all three days.

15. gunnarolis

gunnarolis

The festival is really nice. Free pours for bracelet holders and a lot of nice breweries on the list this year.

16. gregkoko

gregkoko

Leaving tomorrow. Still torn on renting a car. Neither my wife nor I can drive stick, and an automatic transmission is dramatically more expensive. Weather looks like crap for driving. Would run us close to $400 to rent something thats essentially not a toy car. Between that and having to fill up a tank at least once, I feel like we're better off just doing a bus tour for golden circle or blue/secret lagoon.

tosh likes this.
  17. cneville

cneville

nothing better to learn stick on than a car you're not responsible for the transmission in!

Snarf, tosh and gregkoko like this.
  18. jodan

jodan

Shit, forgot to report back...
    We rented a car and wouldn't want to do it any differently. Granted, I'm a functional male and can drive a manual...
    I did mean to get a stick, but Hertz didn't have those in the Camry size I chose, ended up with a Passat. The lady at the desk said they don't have manuals in that size. Cost the same as the manual version. It's worth a shot, the bus loads of people looked awful. Being able to stay at some of the places at your leisure and without the extra crowd might be worth it if you're doing the Golden Circle etc. All those roads are legit and easy to drive, gives you the chance to sightsee, then go to the Secret Lagoon (the one in Fluđir?) after the sun sets.

gregkoko likes this.
  19. gregkoko

gregkoko

Maybe we will just go with the rental then. How was the weather when you were there? Just looks like rain our whole trip.

jodan likes this.
  20. jodan

jodan

Rained most of the trip, especially the 2 days we were out on the road. It wasn't heavy rain most of the time, but the kind of anoyying stuff that doesn't go away, mixed with downpours. Only got a little snow, the roads were fine, and all the cars have studded tires, so that helps too. Not sure how long you'd have the car for, but it was dramatically cheaper to have ours for 4 days instead of 5. We had one nice, clear night, and were in the middle of nowhere but still didn't see the Northern Lights at all.

I want to go back already.
    Edit: if you're buying souvenirs, get all that crap in one shot. They'll give you an easy tax refund form if you're over 60 bucks or so. Would've saved me a bit

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    gregkoko likes this.