Traveling to Melbourne

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackgnome1

Reaction score
Hello all, I kinda dropped the ball and put off buying airline tickets for the lady and I on a trip to Australia in January; the 12th-28th at least 10 days. Apparently it's their peak season, and I'm seeing prices from $1500-2000 per person. Can anyone help with cheaper airfare not Quatas or Air New Zealand? with limited connecting flights

Also if any TB'ers want to meet up for a beer let me know. Will probably ship out some beers as checked baggage is also pricey.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I presume it is expensive for a few reasons: Australian Open Tennis, Australian School Holidays; Summer etc.

I can check with a friend who is probably on here, just not sure of his username. He got some cheaper flights out here recently.

Yeah flights are ridiculous between mid december and Jan. It costs me almost triple to get home to NZ for Christmas.

It calms down about mid-Feb. Which doesn't help you...

I'll be down to drink some beers over that time though.

Yeah flights are ridiculous between mid december and Jan. It costs me almost triple to get home to NZ for Christmas.

It calms down about mid-Feb. Which doesn't help you...

I'll be down to drink some beers over that time though.
Yeah I saw flights for around $900-1000 around Feb which is way more reasonable. I may just bite the bullet and buy them within the next week.

Also, any tips for sending beer to my hotel from the states?

Yeah I saw flights for around $900-1000 around Feb which is way more reasonable. I may just bite the bullet and buy them within the next week.

Also, any tips for sending beer to my hotel from the states?

It will be pricey for sure - but once it's through US customs you'll be fine. I've had boxes opened at this end with no repercussions. Sometimes you'll get stung for tax, and have to pay but it's like $50 or something. You won't lose your beer. Just label it like you would for a trade within the US.

Holla if you are interested in a trade. I'm not after anything in particular atm but have a decent stock of lambic and always looking to try something fun (imp stouts/AWAs)

It will be pricey for sure - but once it's through US customs you'll be fine. I've had boxes opened at this end with no repercussions. Sometimes you'll get stung for tax, and have to pay but it's like $50 or something. You won't lose your beer. Just label it like you would for a trade within the US.

Holla if you are interested in a trade. I'm not after anything in particular atm but have a decent stock of lambic and always looking to try something fun (imp stouts/AWAs)
If I go down there and make a trade my old lady may kill me. But if you know a spot that is byob I'd be happy to share some Monkish beers with you. Probably only gonna bring one wild and some ipa cans, whatever fits in a USPS flat rate box. Heard that words decent

If I go down there and make a trade my old lady may kill me. But if you know a spot that is byob I'd be happy to share some Monkish beers with you. Probably only gonna bring one wild and some ipa cans, whatever fits in a USPS flat rate box. Heard that words decent

Yeah sweet - I'm on pretty good terms with a bunch of places who wouldn't mind if we ticked a few bottles for sure.

Yeah sweet - I'm on pretty good terms with a bunch of places who wouldn't mind if we ticked a few bottles for sure.
I just spent an ungodly amount on flights, and got a 2nd checked bag for $1. Will probably be bringing a 12 shipper. Do I have to fill out a travel visa? any other tips would be helpful

I just spent an ungodly amount on flights, and got a 2nd checked bag for $1. Will probably be bringing a 12 shipper. Do I have to fill out a travel visa? any other tips would be helpful

Yeah you'll need a visa. I think it's called an ETA? you can do it online.

Otherwise, get pumped for some high beer and food prices; but no tipping.

Get a "myki" at the airport with some money on it. That's a smartcard all public transport in Melbourne (trams, buses, trains). Also, uber is cheaper than taxis and far better.

Sort your accommodation out now. Airbnb will likely be your best bet.

Otherwise, eat as much as you can. Don't be afraid to jump on a tram and get out of the cbd (heaps of tourists never leave the cbd) for good food.

Ummm... on top of that, depends what you want to do. I think the tennis is on at the time (Australian Open) which has a lot of events around it. I'm happy to give recs on beers/bars/food and suburbs if you need.

Get a "myki" at the airport with some money on it. That's a smartcard all public transport in Melbourne (trams, buses, trains). Also, uber is cheaper than taxis and far better.

Otherwise, eat as much as you can. Don't be afraid to jump on a tram and get out of the cbd (heaps of tourists never leave the cbd) for good food.

Ummm... on top of that, depends what you want to do. I think the tennis is on at the time (Australian Open) which has a lot of events around it. I'm happy to give recs on beers/bars/food and suburbs if you need.
Think I figured out the visa situation. What is cbd? We plan to venture out, I'm going to try to make it to the 12 Apostles and maybe Tasmania.

What are the best beaches? And do you really have to look out for box jellyfish...

Think I figured out the visa situation. What is cbd? We plan to venture out, I'm going to try to make it to the 12 Apostles and maybe Tasmania.

What are the best beaches? And do you really have to look out for box jellyfish...

CBD = central business district. It includes the main square, the four main city stations plus a few sights and stuff. But for good food and drink the inner city suburbs are where its at. Most are easy to get to by tram (Trams run through the city in a number of directions).

Beach wise, down the great ocean road is probably the best bet (en route to the 12 Apostles). Try Torquay: http://www.visitvictoria.com/Regions/great-ocean-road/Destinations/torquay

The beaches around Melbourne are pretty crowded. Williamstown beach is a good option and is a short train ride (like, 40 mins) from the city and the train also takes you past a couple of taprooms for the journey back.

CBD = central business district. It includes the main square, the four main city stations plus a few sights and stuff. But for good food and drink the inner city suburbs are where its at. Most are easy to get to by tram (Trams run through the city in a number of directions).

Beach wise, down the great ocean road is probably the best bet (en route to the 12 Apostles). Try Torquay: http://www.visitvictoria.com/Regions/great-ocean-road/Destinations/torquay

The beaches around Melbourne are pretty crowded. Williamstown beach is a good option and is a short train ride (like, 40 mins) from the city and the train also takes you past a couple of taprooms for the journey back.
Thanks man for all the info! Really looking forward to all the food, the lady wants to go to that fancy place that was on Chef's Table the Netflix show. I just want some meat pies and game meat. Hoping Cantillon is easy to find down there as I've read on this site.

Thanks man for all the info! Really looking forward to all the food, the lady wants to go to that fancy place that was on Chef's Table the Netflix show. I just want some meat pies and game meat. Hoping Cantillon is easy to find down there as I've read on this site.

hmmm - Cantillon is selling out quick these days. I know a couple of spots so I can let you know when you arrive if you can get some. Things like 3F Kriek & Golden Blend, standard 'Tomes, Lindemans Elderflower etc etc are easy to find at the moment. Some good local spontaneous ferment stuff hitting shelves now too. Boatrocker (they have a barrel room which is a pain in the ass to get to but some great beers) and La Sirene are my picks of the locals in that space.

Attica (the place on Chef's Table) books out pretty quick so I'd try booking now. There are a couple of places that I think come pretty close. Nora is new(ish) and is the kind of place that could feature on Chef's Table in a couple of years. Right now it's going under the radar pretty hard. I've eaten at both and both are brilliant for different reasons.

Game meat is actually pretty tough to find in a lot of restaurants. A couple of pubs do Kangaroo but not heaps. We cook Kangaroo pretty frequently at home though. It's pretty delicious.

Meat pies are also hit and miss (I'm a kiwi, so have high standards... although I'll happily eat the worst gas station versions but I know deep down they aren't good). There are a couple of places in the CBD. This place is a great bet. Get's crazy busy at lunch and they sell out of pies pretty quick: https://www.zomato.com/melbourne/café-alcaston-cbd - or you can just go to a 7-11. A short train will get you to Candied Bakery (incidentally, that's also on the way to Williamstown beach, and near a brewery) and they make legit pies and sausage rolls. Oh man... so good.

I don't know if your trip has passed, but I'd recommend Aunty Pegs in Collingwood if you like coffee. Always a must-stop for me (in fact, I'm posting this from AP).

Black Pearl for cocktails. I'll probably stop by there tonight.

I don't know if your trip has passed, but I'd recommend Aunty Pegs in Collingwood if you like coffee. Always a must-stop for me (in fact, I'm posting this from AP).

Black Pearl for cocktails. I'll probably stop by there tonight.
Thanks again for the recommendations, the trip is jan 19th-27th. Definitely bringing beers , I'll hit you up closer to take off. Gonna hit up some breweries

Well thanks for the heads up. I didnt know i needed an ETA for my trip in TWO DAYS! :D Glad it's instant.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you

hmmm - Cantillon is selling out quick these days. I know a couple of spots so I can let you know when you arrive if you can get some. Things like 3F Kriek & Golden Blend, standard 'Tomes, Lindemans Elderflower etc etc are easy to find at the moment. Some good local spontaneous ferment stuff hitting shelves now too. Boatrocker (they have a barrel room which is a pain in the ass to get to but some great beers) and La Sirene are my picks of the locals in that space.

Attica (the place on Chef's Table) books out pretty quick so I'd try booking now. There are a couple of places that I think come pretty close. Nora is new(ish) and is the kind of place that could feature on Chef's Table in a couple of years. Right now it's going under the radar pretty hard. I've eaten at both and both are brilliant for different reasons.

Game meat is actually pretty tough to find in a lot of restaurants. A couple of pubs do Kangaroo but not heaps. We cook Kangaroo pretty frequently at home though. It's pretty delicious.

Meat pies are also hit and miss (I'm a kiwi, so have high standards... although I'll happily eat the worst gas station versions but I know deep down they aren't good). There are a couple of places in the CBD. This place is a great bet. Get's crazy busy at lunch and they sell out of pies pretty quick: https://www.zomato.com/melbourne/café-alcaston-cbd - or you can just go to a 7-11. A short train will get you to Candied Bakery (incidentally, that's also on the way to Williamstown beach, and near a brewery) and they make legit pies and sausage rolls. Oh man... so good.

Any places for meat pies you'd recommend in Auckland by chance?

Well thanks for the heads up. I didnt know i needed an ETA for my trip in TWO DAYS! :D Glad it's instant.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you
I just found the government site if you haven't already booked yours. There are a bunch of 3rd party websites claiming to travel visas for cheaper. I don't trust it , here is the link I found. Enjoy your trip

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

I just found the government site if you haven't already booked yours. There are a bunch of 3rd party websites claiming to travel visas for cheaper. I don't trust it , here is the link I found. Enjoy your trip

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETAS3/etas

That's the one! what's interesting is that my email says i'm approved and have my ETA. However when I look up my ETA using the tool on that same site, it says it can't find it. Probably needs some turnaround time to update i suppose

That's the one! what's interesting is that my email says i'm approved and have my ETA. However when I look up my ETA using the tool on that same site, it says it can't find it. Probably needs some turnaround time to update i suppose
How long you gonna be down under? I touch down the 19th if you'll be in Melbourne with SoCal beers

How long you gonna be down under? I touch down the 19th if you'll be in Melbourne with SoCal beers
Will be in Melbourne from the 15th to the morning of the 19th then off to SYD. High five in the airport?

Edit: nvm I was mistaken. Leaving the 18th for Sydney

Back