Trube/Yeast in Secondary Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDXAmbassador1

Reaction score
Racked a Barleywine into secondary for the long haul (6+ months on a precious few bourbon soaked oak cubes) ...and ended up that about an inch of trube / dead yeast that settled out into the bottom of the fermentor. Ugh.

Is this gonna be an autolysis problem, requiring me to move it to tertiary? Or do I let it ride?

If I were to re-rack into tertiary I do not have CO2 so it'll be into a carboy full of oxygen-rich air, so I'd be careful obviously, but some O2 will unavoidably be introduced. Hence I'm reticent to donthe tertiary thing, unless you guys deem it wise.

By the way the sample pulled at transfer is tasting amazing. Thick liquid caramel. Can post recipe later if interested.

These things happen. I would not worry about autolysis unless that beer is going to get ridiculously hot while aging. At homebrew scale the pressure on the yeast is generally not enough to result in autolysis-caused off flavors. I've had beer sit in primary on the trub for far longer than six months with no problems. Far bigger concern with aging is the airlock running dry on you.

Great info! Thanks so much! Okay here's the recipe:

Barleywine (III)
OG 1.13
FG 1.045
ABV 13.4%

Recipe:
23 lb Pale Ale Malt
6.25 lb Munich 20L
0.75 pound total of a mix of leftover specialty malts (caramel 130, extra special 130L, pale chocolate malt 215L, brown malt 55L, carared 20L)
0.5 lb homemade dark candi syrup

Mashed at 158 F.

2oz Magnum at 90 min
2oz EKG at 30 min
1oz EKG at flame out
(~60 IBU)

Decocted throughout the boil, pulling out a quart of wort at a time to reduce into thick dark caramel before adding back to boil. Probably did this 10x throughout the 3 hour boil, so is a bit darker than the estimated 30 SRM.

Chilled to 65 and pitched a two liter starter of S-04. Added the dark candi syrup at high Krausen two days later. Racked to secondary onto about 1.5 bourbon-soaked oak cubes per gallon.

Let us know how it turns out. Particularly curious about the oaking, as I think a portion of my next batch of barleywine will see some bourbon soaked oak as well.

Latest posts

Back