US - Great Lakes Une Année Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by adhdjon, Feb 29, 2016.

1. adhdjon

adhdjon

I haven't seen an official thread for Une Année, and thought it might be appropriate given the recent update regarding the delays to their barrel house/program:

I know this news is kind of unfortunate, but I also think it is pretty exciting. I think they have been improving batch-over-batch, and their Le Seul series is pretty tasty sans barrel-aging. I also think the Airing Of Grievances is underrated and delicious.

Their progression/evolution reminds me of Pipeworks, but with a flair for Belgian beers. I'm excited for what the future holds for Une Année, despite a lot of the "meh" sentiments that I have been hearing. But I am curious if anyone else has bought into their 'Le Grande Monde' program, or if anyone enjoys their beers. I don't hear much about them on the boards.

MarcatGSB and jmgrub like this.
  2. JRBecks

JRBecks

I have not signed up for their Member program, not sure why either as everything I have had from them has been pleasently surprising. Especailly the Le Seul Series.

3. Hopping Tiger

Hopping Tiger

Le Seul series is good, huh?

I want to like Une Annee but so far I've found everything just ok. Maybe I should try Le Seul.

4. buntinjp

buntinjp

I thought their earlier beers that I tried were just ok, but Le Seul II in particular was excellent. Haven't had Le Seul III or IV yet but both sound quite good. And I had Airing of Grievances in a flight of stouts recently and thought it was the best one.

L3MI likes this.
  5. adhdjon

adhdjon

It caught me off guard. It's a chewy and rich beer with tons of anise, dark fruits, chocolate. It's definitely flying under the radar IMO and compares to something like Abyss or Darkness or Bells Expedition Stout.

buntinjp likes this.
  6. adhdjon

adhdjon

The Le Seul II and III are yummy. I agree with the "everything is just okay" bit, but I see the growth and improvement with their beer. Again, it reminds me of Pipework's trajectory. Where the early batches had more variation, they've managed to get the process down for a lot of their mainstays, and they release some good off-color beers.

7. Hopping Tiger

Hopping Tiger

I'll try em again. It can be troublesome to release off-color beers.

8. buntinjp

buntinjp

And those troubles can be fierce at their apex.

Frank and vav like this.
  9. adhdjon

adhdjon

bump

The location is at 9082 W Golf Rd, Niles, IL 60714. It also sounds like the first two batches of Le Grand Monde bottles are ready, as well as the merch from the membership.

I'm looking forward to hopefully getting out that way on Saturday. It's nice they were finally able to get open.

10. Marksy

Marksy

Anyone have any info on the member event today beyond what was in the original email? Not much there to go on. Basically...is it even an "event" or is it just like any other day at the tap room but you get a couple drink tickets?

11. adhdjon

adhdjon

Not that this helps now, but I thought the membership event was really nice. 6 tickets between you and your plus one, and each ticket got you a generous 12oz pour or a flight of 4x4oz beers. They had complimentary pizza and pretzels and chips, and people were sharing some bottles. Just a fun little spot in the north burbs.

Marksy likes this.
  12. Marksy

Marksy

I share your sentiment, member event was awesome. Very low key, a lot of friendly faces, and fantastic beers. The LGM beers are really something special and make me very excited for whatever the future brings.

I got stopped/ticketed for expired tags on my way up there and have to go to court in Skokie next week to show them new registration as a result. I just hope time will heal these wounds and that I'll eventually be able to forgive Une Année for this because it's definitely not my fault.

capnmike, jupiter6xx and YellowBird like this.
  13. Marksy

Marksy

Just a heads up to anyone interested, in addition to the myriad of to-go bottles always available, leftover bottles of the first two Le Grande Monde club beers go on sale to the public today. Good reason to make it up to the taproom if you haven't been yet or if you aren't a member.

Beerontwowheels and capnmike like this.
  14. capnmike

capnmike

2 questions:

1) is the taproom open before serving hours for bottle sales?
    2) anyone tried Le Grand Monde 3? sounds good on paper...

15. duckyboycantfly

duckyboycantfly

1) They offer to-go during normal hours, so I'd assume the listed hours are when they are open. I went there on a Friday right at 4pm, they were just finishing setting up.

2) I hit up pequods, then walked the pizza off at a local park waiting for the taproom to open. I liked the chardonnay character and the cinnamon really came out in the nose. Their newest "Framboise" was fantastic, as well as the Hubbard's Cave "Fresh One Hop Simcoe Two Mosaic". Solid date if you're into caramelized* deep dish and belgian-inspired sours / clean American hoppy beer.

*burnt

capnmike and Gonzoillini like this.