Upland Persimmon - Not Being Released. Again.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeahnatenelson

Reaction score
Thanks in some part to the BA thread about Secret Barrel Society, Caleb confirmed that the 2013 batch of Persimmon is also unfit for release:

Caleb said:
Good Friday to you,

We openly admit we are not perfect, but strive every day to deliver to customers the best quality beer possible at all times. Since the Sour Program began, we have destroyed one bottling run of Persimmon, one bottling run of Dantalion failed to carbonate, and the 2013 Persimmon run is also of unacceptable carbonation levels to release. This really is not that much beer, and I’m glad we never sold it. We also have gained a greater understanding of why these quality fails occurred this year, and have not replicated them since implementing new practices.

We apologize for not getting in touch sooner, we haven't forgotten about you, we just wanted to get you the beer you originally won. However, it has been made clear to us there is a desire out there to swap for other styles we create.

Now for the good news:
  • We will be emailing you in regards to your redemption prior to our next release, which is expected late November/early December which is to include Cherry, Raspberry and Sour Reserve 4. This email will include a link to a website to select style choice and pickup location.
  • You will be given a week prior to the standard lottery window to use your Persimmon redemption if you wish at that time for any of the above mentioned styles, pending availability.
  • You will also be free to enter the standard lottery afterwards for a chance to pickup at least one additional bottle.
  • You are free to hold onto your redemption, to be redeemed at a future date for any style you wish in future releases with the same process mentioned above.
  • We expect the next round of Persimmon to be ready in the Spring, so if you wish to hold your redemption until that release, you are free to do so. Any remaining Persimmon redemptions not redeemed for the Persimmon release will expire. So please be aware! You won and we want you to be able to purchase a bottle at some point.
We appreciate everyone's patience in this regard. If you have any questions feel free to email[email protected].

Cheers,
Caleb

I'm actually okay with opting for Sour Reserve b4 than hoping that third time's the charm for Persimmon. My only concern is that bit about picking up the bottle the week prior to the pickup window for the lottery:
You will be given a week prior to the standard lottery window to use your Persimmon redemption if you wish at that time for any of the above mentioned styles, pending availability.

Does that mean if they decide the pickup window starts the week after Thanksgiving that I have to go to Indy Thanksgiving Weekend?

How many people will hold for the spring batch of Persimmon in hopes they don't go 0 for 3?

ManiacalLaugh.gif

Thanks to Rempo, I can now confirm that there were carbonation issues with the first unreleased batch. It also smelled a little cheesy, but it tasted fine.
I would like a bottle of Persimmon loerik if anybody that's watching has one FT...

I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and see the thread posted in US - Great Lakes: "Upland announces newest beer brewed with baby tears and kitten blood, will be sold solely in Saskatchewan"

Went searching for Upland Persimmon information. Found this.

SjqQ1.gif

I suppose it's time to hunt solely for Kiwi

New message from Upland:

18 November email said:
To our Persimmon winners, Thank you for your patience in regards to your winning lottery entry for Persimmon Lambic. As indicated, we will be allowing redemption for a style of choice in our upcoming Cherry, Raspberry and Sour Reserve 4 release. You will also be free to enter lottery for these beers afterwards as well. We are allowing one week for you to submit your selection.

We hope you can make it!

Cheers,
Upland Brewing Co.

While it's not mentioned directly in this email, the last message from Upland on the issue stated that any Persimmon winners could redeem their reservation now, any upcoming release, or hold onto the reservation for when Persimmon is re-released:

18 October email said:
  • You are free to hold onto your redemption, to be redeemed at a future date for any style you wish in future releases with the same process mentioned above.
  • We expect the next round of Persimmon to be ready in the Spring, so if you wish to hold your redemption until that release, you are free to do so. Any remainingPersimmon redemptions not redeemed for the Persimmon release will expire. So please be aware! You won and we want you to be able to purchase a bottle at some point.

Last edited:
Yep just signed up for Sour Reserve. Now the question is, if I bought two tickets to FunkFest shouldn't I get two entries? Those lambics were allotted per ticket not ticket purchaser. Upland, Momfrompurdue really wants her bottle of Sour Reserve too.;)

I'll probably do SR, but I'm tempted to hold out for a potential 2014 release of the Pawpaw Lambic. Caleb brought a few cases of it to a pre-FOBAB event and it was great. Like a funkier Persimmon. Wild stuff.

While it's not mentioned directly in this email, the last message from Upland on the issue stated that any Persimmon winners could redeem their reservation now, any upcoming release, or hold onto the reservation for when Persimmon is re-released:
When you open to Eventbrite, it adds:
As a reminder, you can hold onto your redemption for any other 2014 release if you wish. We expect Persimmon to return in the Spring of 2014, and this will be the last time we take in redemptions.
-----
Yep just signed up for Sour Reserve. Now the question is, if I bought two tickets to FunkFest shouldn't I get two entries? Those lambics were allotted per ticket not ticket purchaser. Upland, Momfrompurdue really wants her bottle of Sour Reserve too.;)
My free one is for choosing Persimmon a long time ago during a first-come-first-served online release.

I'll probably do SR, but I'm tempted to hold out for a potential 2014 release of the Pawpaw Lambic. Caleb brought a few cases of it to a pre-FOBAB event and it was great. Like a funkier Persimmon. Wild stuff.
It's interesting Pawpaw isn't on the Secret Barrel Society link to their sour release schedule for next 16 months.....

As much as I love Funky South Paw I need EVERYONE to win Pawpaw and send me those precious ID's. ;)

Rempo, you in? We can corner the market and PROFIT!

It's interesting Pawpaw isn't on the Secret Barrel Society link to their sour release schedule for next 16 months.....

As much as I love Funky South Paw I need EVERYONE to win Pawpaw and send me those precious ID's. ;)

Rempo, you in? We can corner the market and PROFIT!
I am not an SBS member. And no, you may not have access to my rolodex of IDs.

Back