Whiskey Vanilla beans in bourbon?

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by beersandbears, Apr 9, 2017.

1. beersandbears

beersandbears

I was at the big international farmers market in Atlanta (Dekalb) yesterday, and I saw a pint sized whiskey bottle pre-loaded with 3 full sized Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans for $13.99. I didn't but it, but it got me thinking. The "sell" was that you can pour half a bottle of your favorite bourbon in it and it will absorb the vanilla. Has anyone tried just dropping vanilla beans in a decent shelf bourbon? Any good? Ratios? Any success stories with specific bourbons? I have a ton of bourbon at the house, and wouldn't mind experimenting with a Knob Creek or Elijah 12 if some of you have had good results. Thanks!

B Reye, TalkBeerJesus and quirkzoo like this.
  2. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

I love to make infusions, usually when I have about 8oz left in a bottle I will pour it into a half pint mason jar with some other ingredient.

Makers mark + mint, for mint juleps
    Makers mark + coffee beans
    Eagle Rare + cardamom
    Buffalo trace + vanilla

It is always tasty but usually it is more of a novelty.

3. juanmalamunga

juanmalamunga

4. B Reye

B Reye

I make my own vanilla extract with vodka and bottom shelf bourbon and use it for various cooking/baking applications. Never tried it with my favorite bourbon to drink though. The bottom shelf bourbon is ok but I wouldn't want to have a glass of it. Play around with ratios.

beersandbears and jtmartino like this.
  5. jtmartino

jtmartino

We do the same thing with vodka as well as moonshine or clear whiskies. Really awesome stuff and a little vanilla goes a long way.

B Reye and beersandbears like this.
  6. Tyrsis

Tyrsis

Honestly, just try it. The only barrier here is that vanilla beans can be expensive. I personally steep chai in bourbon and make old fashioneds with it. I love it.

B Reye and beersandbears like this.