US - South-Atlantic Visiting Atlanta

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by drgarage, Feb 21, 2014.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. drgarage

drgarage Not a real doctor. Lives in garage. Contributor

I'm going to be staying at the downtown DoubleTree Monday and Tuesday nights. Any recommendations on nearby beer bars I should hit and/or stores within a reasonable drive? I'd also be up for a quick drink or two if any of the locals down that way are game.

Not planning on bringing any beer with me, but I could be persuaded...

2. tcblack4d

tcblack4d

HopCity Craft Beer & Wine (1000 Marietta St #302, Atlanta, GA 30318) is only a 5 min drive from there. They have a vast selection of craft beer. You'll be about a 10 min drive from the Porter Beer Bar and 15 min drive from Brick Store Pub. Brick Store Pub is also right on the MARTA train line if you didn't feel like driving.

If there is anything in particular you're looking for from Westbrook, Terrapin, or other SE distro, give me a shout. I could point you in the right direction as far as stores or do an IP trade.

Rau71 likes this.
  3. SwoldierBoiTellEm

SwoldierBoiTellEm

Are you going to have a rental car?

4. drgarage

I will.

5. drgarage

Thanks! Very helpful.

6. SwoldierBoiTellEm

SwoldierBoiTellEm

I highly recommend going to Wrecking Bar for dinner. They're one of the best brewpubs I've been to. Great food and beer. It's located in Little 5 Points, so fairly close to you. The Porter is just down the road from there and a great stop for drinks before/after dinner.

Decatur has a ton of options as well. Places of note in Decatur are Square Pub (great food, solid draft list), Brick Store Pub (great draft list, plus a ridiculous cellar), Twain's (great food, up and coming local brewpub), and Leon's Full Service (small, but quality tap list). They are all within a couple minute walk from each other.

Edit: forgot about a couple other places...Argosy and Midway Pub are both in East Atlanta Village and a short walk apart. Argosy has an amazing burger and both tend to have very good taplists.

For stores, Hop City is definitely one of the better options. Others somewhat close to you are Green's on Ponce de Leon and Ale Yeah in Decatur.

If you want more specific recommendations or have any more questions, let me know!

Rau71 and drgarage like this.
  7. drgarage

This is awesome. Thanks!

8. SwoldierBoiTellEm

SwoldierBoiTellEm

How'd your trip go? Curious to hear your thoughts coming from quite the beer mecca

9. drgarage

Only had time to hit Argosy and Hop City, but they were great. I got Founder's Imperial Stout to go, a triple-hop IPA I forget the name of, and fresh 2-hearted on draft, which, as a Michigan native, I miss every day.

SwoldierBoiTellEm and tcblack4d like this.
  10. Rau71

Rau71

This is the only thread I found about Atlanta so I shall post in it. I am staying at the W in Buckhead and going to a Giants @ Braves game on the first weekend in May. Getting in Late Friday and leaving on Monday. Have a rental car, tell me what to do!

11. ExcuzM3

ExcuzM3

Bars to hit:
    In Little 5 Points:
    The Porter
    Wrecking Bar

In Decatur:
    Brick Store Pub
    Square Pub
    Twain's
    Leon's
    Kimball House

In East Atlanta:
    Argosy
    The Midway Pub

Midtown:
    Cypress St. Plate and Pint

Bottle Shops:
    Hop City
    Green's(On Ponce De Leon, or on Buford Highway)
    Tower(On Piedmont Road, probably your most convenient)

Rau71 likes this.
  12. SwoldierBoiTellEm

SwoldierBoiTellEm

I live in Buckhead, so I can tell you that there isn't much close to there. It's more of the newly graduated college scene.

My original post above is your best bet for places to go.

Edit: as you can see Korey's list is pretty similar on the best places, with the emphasis on Tower on Piedmont and Green's on Buford for bottle shops most convenient to Buckhead

Rau71 likes this.
  13. Rau71

Rau71

Getting close to my trip, I have these places marked, do you have the hole in the wall that might have the sweet sweet shine?

14. SwoldierBoiTellEm

SwoldierBoiTellEm

The place I found it is called Pitch n Putt Liqour...their address is 1890A JOHNSON RD NE. There's a list of retailers on the moonshine website that may have it as well. If you stop into Tower or Green's while you're here, check with them too. When I was looking before, they both said they had had it previously, just not at that time.

Rau71 likes this.
  15. Rau71

Rau71

Trip details of my quick stop.
    Saturday Lunch at Argosy. Very solid tap list, and I enjoyed the Burger too, if only going to 1 place for beers and food I would pick here. Saturday night was spent at the Braves game. Didn't eat much there but had many of Sweetwater 420 and IPA tall boys.

Sunday lunch at Wrecking Bar. Food was pretty good, and the 3 beers of theirs I tried were all decent with the milk stout on Nitro being their best I had, but the Gose was a solid starter. Did Dinner at Wisteria which was a little fancy for me wearing shorts and flip flops, but the food was great, and they had a few craft beers so I had more Sweetwater 420's. Between these two I hit up 3 different liquor stores, 2 Towers and the Pitch and Putt mentioned above. Also hit up a morellis ice cream because it won like 4th best Ice cream place in the USA. It was good, but not my style, VERY creamy. Like stick to your spoon so you have to fight it thick, but great flavors.

Overall I enjoyed Atlanta and the surrounding areas. The roads were a little funky, but it was green trees and southern hospitality all around. Also had grits for the first time ever when we landed around midnight at a waffle house, not impressed.

SwoldierBoiTellEm and ExcuzM3 like this.
  16. Tedwarhc

Tedwarhc

Bumping an old thread looking for suggestions for a friend traveling to your fine city for breweries to visit. I know there are quote a few, just looking for the best taps, maybe food and overall atmosphere.

17. biglobo8971

biglobo8971

as am I, will be in town for Turkey day weekend.

18. axeman9182

axeman9182

Just now seeing this thread, I'll put in a shameless plug for a restaurant my uncle has in the Atlanta area, Soho. They specialize much more in wine than beer, but they always have Terrapin and Sweetwater on, and the food is pretty good as well.

19. SwoldierBoiTellEm

SwoldierBoiTellEm

Where will you be staying? Previous posts in this thread are still accurate.

As for breweries, Orpheus, Burnt Hickory, and Three Taverns are the ones I'd recommend most. Orpheus (in Midtown on the east side of Piedmont Park) and Three Taverns (in Decatur, just down the street from all the Decatur bars/restaurants previously recommended) both have tours every weekend, but may want to call ahead for holiday weekend hours or check social media. Burnt Hickory only does "open houses" once a month but is looking to expand this, but I doubt it will be in time for Thanksgiving.

Another note that may have already been said...breweries in GA can not sell pints or anything to go. They have "tours" in which you buy a glass and get 4-6 tickets usually to taste.

TL;DR read the rest of this thread and feel free to PM if you have any questions

20. ExcuzM3

ExcuzM3

Give me a shout, we should grab a beer! Or if you need any recommendations.