US - South-Atlantic Visiting Atlanta

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by drgarage, Feb 21, 2014.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

Dang really? Heard a couple interviews with Mitch recently and was excited to try his take on pils.

2. TommyShitt

TommyShitt

If New Realm didn't have the location, facility, and his name attached, no one would be talking about it at all.

3. mateoloco

mateoloco

I only had a few but that's the impression that I've gotten from others. But the consensus seems to be that the Euphonia Pils is their best beer. I enjoyed it and it's easily available in cans pretty much everywhere. I'm sure you'll see it on your shelves once they start brewing out of Green Flash's Virginia brewhouse that they purchased.

wuntrikpony likes this.
  4. ExcuzM3

ExcuzM3

This.

I have given New Realm a try probably 3 times now, and was overwhelming disappointed every time. They brew very boring beers, and try to make them palatable to non-craft beer drinkers. I get the business model, but definitely not utilizing Mitch's skill.

Also, their food/beverage is nauseatingly expensive.

SwoldierBoiTellEm likes this.
  5. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

With Wrecking Bar setting the standard for brewpubs and Torched Hop, I don’t get why anyone who wants a beer would even go to New Realm.

6. JulianB

JulianB

Bump for an Atlanta thread in the proper "subforum".

I'm heading into town tomorrow with some friends for the Cantillon event at Brick Store, I imagine we will get up to some other stuff as well. Down to touch tips with anyone else around at that event or otherwise. Might do Sunday brunch at Wrecking Bar.

mateoloco and Photekut like this.
  7. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

Hrmmm. I might pass thru on my way back home from Marietta.

What’s going on around town? Was gonna try to hunt down some crap that released somewhere and grab some to go stuff.

8. kbuzz

kbuzz

Driving to Atlanta from Charlotte for a Pirates/Braves game next month. Any suggestions for a brewery or two worth hitting up either in Atlanta proper or in between those two locations on 85? Educate me.

FATSH1TTY likes this.
  9. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

Hmmm. There’s some shit not far off in Roswell, I think Dry County Brewing is in Cobb. Variant, gate city and pontoon brewing are up north between 75 and 85 off 400.

If you wanna make the short ( and long of traffic blows) trek into downtown area then I absolutely suggest hitting up Wrecking Bar. Great food, great beer, badass set up, great service. Torched Hop is close too, Porter Bar is within walking distance in less than 5-8 minutes from Wrecking bar.

If you stay west of town, you can likely hit terrapins spot at the Braves stadium at the Battery and then head south easily on 75 and hit Atlanta brewing, Monday night and Scofflaw and avoid crossing over 75/85 into downtown

ExcuzM3 and kbuzz like this.
  10. kbuzz

kbuzz

We will be west of town, so that last paragraph will be helpful...thanks!

jmgrub likes this.
  11. jmgrub

jmgrub real Gs move in silence like lasagna Contributor

Hey folks. Arriving in Atlanta on Thursday for a short visit with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law and to meet my new nephew. Unfortunately, probably won't have any time for meet-ups on this trip (I'm sure there will be plenty more trips in the future), but may be able to drag everybody to one drinking stop and may be able to find a window to sneak out for some beer shopping. For a drinking stop, I was thinking The Porter (I've been before, was pretty amazing) or Wrecking Bar (haven't been but have heard very good things). For shopping, I was thinking Hop City.

Thoughts on these ideas or additional ideas? Appreciate any help in advance and hope everyone is enjoying Mother's Day (to the extent applicable).

mateoloco and kbuzz like this.
  12. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

Soo.... what’s the question?

Can’t meet for beer, and already have a line up of the better places if you are staying in the east side ?

jmgrub likes this.
  13. jmgrub

Basically whether Wrecking Bar is good and if there are any good beer stores other than Hop City.

14. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

Wrecking bar is where I take everyone from out of town. Great food, beer, not crowded, great service and people.

Hopcity is easy to find Krog street but the west side is just as good being original location. Beer is more expensive so ride up Moreland and hang a left on Ponce and hit up greens for the same shit and better prices.

If you like haze and want more bar food, Torched hop on Ponce is bangin. While there, head to Orpheus best piedmont park for sours an stouts. Overlooks the park and good hang out.

If you wan Head to the west end over the interstate lmk. Better recs on west end but people avoid it cause not much for places to stay and it’s ghetto and scares out of town folk. Better beer IMO and cooler area.

mateoloco and jmgrub like this.
  15. jmgrub

Thanks dude! That's super helpful. Definitely hoping to meet up on a future trip when I have more downtime.

mateoloco likes this.
  16. FATSH1TTY

FATSH1TTY

I’d ride on in Thursday if I wasn’t hung up with work this week and packing up to leave Friday to head to the beach.

I’m probably 20 min from the airport, if you get to airport early and need a beer before going into the airport, lmk.

jmgrub likes this.
  17. jmgrub

Have to say I'm impressed with the Atlanta beer scene. All brief stops, but made it to Wrecking Bar on Friday night, Hop City in Krog Street Market yesterday afternoon, The Porter last night and Monday Night Brewing this afternoon. The scene has progressed leaps and bounds here since I last visited (in 2013).

Will hopefully have more flexibility to try to meet up with some of you dudes next time I'm out here.

FATSH1TTY, kbuzz and mateoloco like this.