Visiting Oregon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbhess

Reaction score
I'm heading out to Oregon in a week to visit Portland and Bend. Haven't been to Bend in probably 3 years and never been to Portland. Looking of recommendations of things maybe off the beaten path. I plan to hit de garde, hair of the dog, upright, cascade, Apex and Belmont when in Portland. And plan to hit Deschutes, boneyard, bend brewing, and Crux in bend.

Also anyone interested in getting together for beers or sharing some bottles shoot me a message. Would love to meet some new faces.

Cheers!

Bobby

Across the street from apex is beer mongers. Preferable to Belmont in my mind.

Eat at Chow for breakfast or lunch in Bend. It is an all time favorite with great food. Nearby is Johns Market with a good selection of bottles.

Also do the Deschutes tour and the nearby park has stand up paddle boarding on the river.

Thanks Ryan_G

I'll definitely check the place out. I've taken the Deschutes tour before and loved it. Will probably take it again now that it's been a few years.

-Commons! Haven't visited since they moved to their new tasting room but those guys are good people.
-Breakside Brewing
-Pok Pok for dinner (Thai. Get there early. Try the drinking vinegar. Srs.).
-Tastey & Alder for crazy good breakfast.
-Lardo for Lunch

I've only been to Portland once but I did the Sage spreadsheet guided tour and we killed it.

Honorable mention to Reverend Nats if you're into Apple Beers.

I'll be out there in a couple weeks as well. Thanks for the suggestions! benbikes4beer You have a link to this spreadsheet tour?!

I've been to Portland once, but excited to finally hit up Upright and the new Commons. I'm planning on Seraveza, Cascade and Breakside and hitting the coast for a couple days as well.

i was checking out your list yesterday after remembering about it from some weeks before. im heading out to OR for the de garde anniversary again this year and will definitely be checking out some of your food recommendations in Portland. thanks man!

Maybe we'll touch tips before during and after saturday.

Speaking of touching tips at De Garde, anyone going to be around on the Sunday after (May 2nd)? I was going to bring up some CO goodies to share if anyone was interested.

Speaking of touching tips at De Garde, anyone going to be around on the Sunday after (May 2nd)? I was going to bring up some CO goodies to share if anyone was interested.

I'm hoping to stop by (as long as I can convince the rest of the group), since we'll be driving from Pacific City back to Portland and de Garde is on the way.

Eat at Chow for breakfast or lunch in Bend. It is an all time favorite with great food. Nearby is Johns Market with a good selection of bottles.

Also do the Deschutes tour and the nearby park has stand up paddle boarding on the river.
Just be careful with some of the hoppy stuff at Johns. There are some beers that sit there for a while. They do have a great selection and good pricing though.

If you have the time while in Bend, I'd add Silver Moon and Sunriver Brewing to the list. If you haven't been before, check out Crow's Feet Commons and Broken Top Bottle Shop (food here is good too).

Last edited:
Have you been to Tasty & Alder? Went there in Feb with benbikes4beer and it was easily one of the best brunches I've ever had – just curious if T&S is another level above...?
Alder/Sons are the same folks, with Alder the newer location. Nearly identical menus and quality.

hijacking this thread, thanks kbhess

anyways ill be visiting your fine state at the end of the month. Unfortunately ill be staying in prineville oregon. I know the middle of nowhere lol. Ill be traveling for work and we have a datacenter out there. anyways I was hoping there was some small hope that there is a nice bottleshop/taproom out there, or even a brewery?

anyways ill be visiting your fine state at the end of the month. Unfortunately ill be staying in prineville oregon. I know the middle of nowhere lol. Ill be traveling for work and we have a datacenter out there. anyways I was hoping there was some small hope that there is a nice bottleshop/taproom out there, or even a brewery?
Bend is less than an hour away. That's pretty much your only option.

Ochoco Brewing is in Prineville with a brewpub, and I've found their stuff to be respectable. As litheum said, Bend and Redmond are relatively close with additional options and bottleshops.

Girlfriend and I are also traveling out to Oregon (and Seattle) for a week or so. Staying in Portland and Bend. Any non-beer suggestions (we are renting a car too)? Hiking/etc.

Looking for Seaside/Cannon Beach beer suggestions. Also hiking. Have kids, but they can hoof it for hours.
Pubs, stores, etc.

Terrible timing as the days I'm there DeGarde ain't open.

ISO: coastal locals with no issues stocking my hotel fridge upon arrival (staying in Cannon)

Looking for Seaside/Cannon Beach beer suggestions. Also hiking. Have kids, but they can hoof it for hours.
Pubs, stores, etc.

ISO: coastal locals with no issues stocking my hotel fridge upon arrival (staying in Cannon)

How do you feel about drinking beer at a hardware store? http://www.cannonbeachhardware.com/

Pubs, stores, etc.

Not sure if you're going much further north but Buoy and Fort George are both terrific if you feel like heading to Astoria.

Pubs, stores, etc.

It may be further than you want to go, but Pelican's Pacific City location is amazing.

It may be further than you want to go, but Pelican's Pacific City location is amazing.
Yeah, unfortunately a little further south than we had in our plans or even flexibilities.
Recommended bottle shops or is just about everything available at local grocers? I'm not too picky. Just want whats decent from WA and OR that is not available in MI (which is a lot of things).

Girlfriend and I are also traveling out to Oregon (and Seattle) for a week or so. Staying in Portland and Bend. Any non-beer suggestions (we are renting a car too)? Hiking/etc.

Smith Rock has cool hiking (though there are plenty of other hiking opportunities too), and depending on the temperatures during your visit, you may also want to float the Deschutes River through town. PM me if you want my standard Central Oregon beer scene spiel.

Smith Rock has cool hiking (though there are plenty of other hiking opportunities too), and depending on the temperatures during your visit, you may also want to float the Deschutes River through town. PM me if you want my standard Central Oregon beer scene spiel.
Will do closer to the date. Thanks for the recommendations.

Bobby, go to Great Notion brewing in Portland for some killer New England style IPA. I think every other killer brewery has been mentioned for Portland in this thread.

Hit up Merrywethers for brunch in Portland. Amazing stuff there.

While in Bend you should try to hit up Ale Apothecary if Paul has the time to show it to you. So much fun there and Paul is really cool.

Cheers!

Bobby, go to Great Notion brewing in Portland for some killer New England style IPA. I think every other killer brewery has been mentioned for Portland in this thread.

Hit up Merrywethers for brunch in Portland. Amazing stuff there.

While in Bend you should try to hit up Ale Apothecary if Paul has the time to show it to you. So much fun there and Paul is really cool.

Cheers!

This actually got bumped from my trip there last year, but I definitely plan to try hitting up great notion this year.

Thanks to you, I was able to connect with Paul and visit the place. He was in vacation, but hooked me up with Jared to show me around. Actually going back out to bend/Portland and gonna try to hit him up again this year.

Pubs, stores, etc.

There is a brewery in Seaside (Seaside Brewing), and a bottle shop in one of the strip malls right off the highway called the Wine and Beer Haus. As for Cannon Beach, Bill's and The Warren House are probably your best places to drink local stuff on tap.

Last edited:
Pubs, stores, etc.

When will you be in Cannon Beach? The new CB Pelican location is supposed to open in May. Also, make sure to check dates on packaged beer you're thinking about picking up on the coast. I've seen a lot of old ass **** out there.

Back