Voodoo Barrel Room on Tap for Pittsburgh Beer Week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgh_penguins

Reaction score
From HO1KB:
"Voodoo is dropping some barrel-aged bombs on The House during Pittsburgh Craft Beer Week! At 2pm on Saturday, May 3rd, we'll be tapping:
--K13, an American barleywine, aged 18 months in Pappy Van Winkle barrels
--Tenacious Wee, a strong Scotch ale, aged 16 months in Eagle Rare barrels
--and Grand Negro Voodoo Papi, their Big Black Voodoo Daddy imperial stout brewed with Serrano peppers & local maple syrup, & aged in Laird's Apple Brandy barrels with local maple syrup, Madagascar vanilla beans, cocoa nibs, nibs, & Serrano & habanero peppers. Holy schnikes!!!
We'll also have the latest incarnation of their HTP double IPA (H2P?), hopped solely with Simcoe (yeah!!!). Voodoo will be giving away some schwag, to boot. Bombs away!!!"

Who wants to be my DD?

I'll be in of that service as well; although it'll prob be mrs UVM.

In my experience with these ho1kb trappings it gets ridiculously crowded. Best to arrive a bit before tapping.

I would also bet that curt from voodoo will be in attendance and there will most likely be a special keg that he brings. It doesn't get more special than k13 and grand negro, however.

I'll be in of that service as well; although it'll prob be mrs UVM.

In my experience with these ho1kb trappings it gets ridiculously crowded. Best to arrive a bit before tapping.

I would also bet that curt from voodoo will be in attendance and there will most likely be a special keg that he brings. It doesn't get more special than k13 and grand negro, however.

I've also been looking for an excuse to try one of the new car services (Uber and Lyft), so this seems like a good one.

Nothing more enjoyable than ticking same rars in a crowded room full of beer geeks staring at their untappd screens.

I hope to see some of you there. I'll probably make my way over after the Pittsburgh Marathon - 5k and grabbing some food. What's a good time to show up for something like this?

I hope to see some of you there. I'll probably make my way over after the Pittsburgh Marathon - 5k and grabbing some food. What's a good time to show up for something like this?

They usually start pouring around 12pm for these. I'm not sure how busy it will be but you should be good be for both k13 and grand negro if you get there by 1pm. They usually limit one draft of each brew per customer. With a sixtel and 10 ounce pours they'll serve about 65 of each.

Having never tried either, I'm looking forward to this. Driving out from the Poconos, probably with a few friends. Anything else interesting to do in the area that day so we aren't heading right back?

I will most likely be wearing this shirt (same colors):
1465953_610185005711287_737457174_o.jpg

Feel free to find me.. not that it should be hard.. (that's obviously not me in the pic)

Last edited:
How's the food at HO1KB? Any must check out food stop in Pitt? Not sure what they're really famous for.
I always go to:
Mike and Tony's Gyros (Southside)
Primanti's

Sometimes:
Pizza Sola
Piper's Pub
Mineo's
Burgatory
Birmingham Bridge Tavern (them jerked wangs)
Local

I'm sure there is a **** ton more I am forgetting. Pitt is a big food town lol..

I'm actually home in Philly until May 9th or 10th, so unfortunately no. But I've been lucky enough to have all of the Barrel Room Collection beers that will be on tap (some multiple times), so I'm not terribly upset.
Damn, was hoping I could actually have a brew with you this time. Oh well, I'm sure we will have some more chances and I should see you at this year's voodoo release (if you're going).

OP says it starts at 2pm, if they started at noon it would all be gone before the event even starts.

Hence why I said "usually". Last years voodoo tapping started at 12. Every other special tapping started around that time.

I'll find out today and post the time.

Edit: Confirmed with the owner that this starts at 2pm.

Last edited:
Great, now I have to decide between 9.5 round trip to try K13, AB GNVP and Tenacious Wee on tap, vs 4.5 hours round trip for bottles of Night to End all Dawns BA variants...

Back