US - South-Atlantic Westbrook Release Schedule

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by JulianB, Mar 27, 2014.

1. JulianB

JulianB

Westbrook posted this handy little guide for their planned releases:

http://westbrookbrewing.com/release-schedule/

-Gose available for 6 months starting in April
    -Mexican Cake is back in May
    -Barrel Aged Mexican Cake in July

jivex5k, mychalg9, JBPortland and 9 others like this.
  2. OlavZipser

OlavZipser

Any word on what kind of BA Mexican Cake? I know Tequila's one of them, right?

3. JulianB

JulianB

There's a very limited amount of tequila (I saw a couple of barrels last time I was at Westbrook, and I think that may be it) and a lot of different bourbon barrels (mostly Four Roses, from what I've been told). No idea if they are planning to release barrel type-specific variants or just blend to taste and call that variant "Bourbon". Haven't heard or seen any other types. I can already feel the butt-hurt if there's no Apple Brandy this time.

jivex5k likes this.
  4. OlavZipser

OlavZipser

Not to get into the subjective ranking of BA Mexican Cake set again, but I wouldn't care less about Apple Brandy. I know it's not happening but I do wish they did Red Wine again this year! I think that's the only stout in wine barrel version that blew my mind away.

Okay, you can go ahead and argue which variant was the best from last year. :p

JulianB likes this.
  5. johnnyramirez

johnnyramirez

Apple Brandy was the worst last year. Don't care at all if it isn't made again. But JulianB we may need to trade again come July brah.

JulianB likes this.
  6. loomisj

loomisj

Gose available for six months, that's awesome! that is one perfect beer-now we just need to get some down here.

jeblikesbeer likes this.
  7. vonnegut21

vonnegut21

Damn it. Came here to say the same thing. JulianB don't forget your friends up north ;)

JulianB likes this.
  8. zieglemt

zieglemt

How was the BAMC release last year? Is it a be-there-the-day-it's-released-or-you're-fucked kinda thing? Or does it hang around? Also, do they announce the specific date well in advance?

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about visiting my sister and her fiance who just moved to Charlotte in late July (to line up with the Phish show there 7/25) and if I could combine it with getting some BA Mexican Cake, I'd probably have to grow a neckbeard.

jeblikesbeer likes this.
  9. JulianB

JulianB

Keep me in mind if you head up to HF when Ephraim goes on. ;)

jivex5k and vonnegut21 like this.
  10. JulianB

JulianB

Here's what happened last year, no guarantees it stays the same:

-They announced it a few weeks ahead of time, maybe a full month.
    -Original limits were going to be x4 of each variant per person, once they realized it was going to be a pretty popular release, they changed it to x2.
    -They handed out 200 tickets for full allotments of 6, then tickets for the Red Wine variant which there was more of.
    -Tickets were handed out starting at something like 8:00am. I got there around 1pm (due to a traffic-related delay, originally wanted to be there at noon) with a friend, and we got tickets 169 and 170. Release event started at 3:00pm, they had a bunch of good stuff on draft.
    -It was, not shockingly, all gone that day.

With how well-received this beer was and how it traded, I expect this year's release to be more of a shitshow with lots of mules, tons of people showing up at 5am, etc. unless Westbrook does something to prevent it from becoming one. I feel like the semi-silent release of the Black Magic Panthers and BBL Skoon was at least partially in response to what happened at Hunahpu Day (which two of Westbrook's brewers were there for and got to see first-hand).

jivex5k, zieglemt and jeblikesbeer like this.
  11. zieglemt

zieglemt

Thanks for the rundown. This happened on a Saturday?

12. JulianB

JulianB

Yep, and everything went pretty smoothly, everyone seemed to be having a good time. The only sucky part was the rain (which was a torrential downpour for a while).

jivex5k likes this.
  13. ncaudle

ncaudle

unless they held some back for whatever reason it was all gone that day. a friend was able to grab a 3rd bottle of RW about 4 spots in front of me (on a 2nd time through) and the person directly in front of me got the last 1

jeblikesbeer likes this.
  14. rbradley

rbradley

I'm not sure Mike@Westbrook is on this site, so I'm going to clarify a couple of details mentioned above...

For reference, I am NOT affiliated with Westbrook but did assist with the release last year (along with a couple other locals) and just wanted to clarify a couple of items above. As for this year's upcoming release...I don't know any details at this point but would assume Westbrook is planning ahead giving the popularity of the beer and other recent trends in beer releases.

JulianB likes this.
  15. OnryAndMean

OnryAndMean

I just had Gose today and wish I could buy this by the case locally. I'd session this beer all year.

16. JulianB

JulianB

Was that really on a Friday? Huh, I guess that's what happens when you are an academic on summer term and not teaching at the time, all days feel like the weekend. ;)

jeblikesbeer likes this.
  17. Dogfishjoey

Dogfishjoey

Would love to try gose! Just had the cigar city gose and fell in love. If anyone starts to get it let me know I'll hook yah up with some bruery beers or whatever yah want ;)

18. JBPortland

JBPortland

What is the average pricing for Gose six packs at stores and/or the brewery? Thanks.

19. JulianB

JulianB

Most places I see it for $10-12.

For anyone wanting an update on BA Mexican Cake, apparently it (or at least some of it) has been bottled and is waiting on labels. Still no details on the release although most expect it to be a same-day announcement. Maybe even on this Friday? Who knows.

vonnegut21 and JBPortland like this.
  20. JBPortland

JBPortland

Much appreciated!