WHALES - Uber Rare Retired Glassware Thread

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by CheapBeerBuzz, Sep 13, 2018.

1. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz

Reading yeahnatenelson's post (https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/lets-remember-some-beers-in-memoriam-old-whales.41403/) about whales of yesteryear got me into digging through my glassware. I have so so so much glassware. And as much as I like seeing properglassware and new glassware hauls, I like to see rarities/oddities even if they are not worth much or in demand. Kinda similar to Treebs obsession with Half Acre glassware, I would like to start this thread for long forgotten glassware. It doesn't have to be epic, just stuff that is long since gone and still holds a special place in our hearts for a bygone era. I'll start it off with two:
    [​IMG]
    Rare Midnight Sun stemless wine glass. Just drank that Open Container on Tuesday night and it wasn't horrible (flat, but drinkable). This glass comes from one of my first obsessions with collecting old Midnight Sun glasses (and the beers as well).

2. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz

Here is another one that is worth a pretty penny and is an uber rare whaley glass:
    [​IMG]
    This was a 2015 bottle I had a couple of months ago. Still great! I have to point out that I traded a Statement Reserve bottle for this glass, which meadheads have told me I made a grave mistake. I don't care, as a glassware whore, I had to have this glass and I had already tried Statement Reserve before. If you can't tell, while I do have an occasional mead, I don't really care all that much about them.

3. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

Very weird and cool glass. Traded mine for the 3 Fonteinen fountains stange for completionist reasons. Almost sorry I did.

Almost.

4. KevSal

KevSal

[​IMG]

i got this glass a loooong time ago before i even knew what heady was. don’t think they make it anymore

pretty basic but i really like it

PurityControl88, Ben, kevanb and 10 others like this.
  5. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Whenever I see that logo (on the glass) I always think of Rock Art before I think of Alchemist. Maybe because it vaguely resembles a R and an A combined together, but much more likely is that the THC has destroyed too many brain cells.

mateoloco, kevanb, JulianB and 3 others like this.
  6. stakem

stakem

[​IMG]

Love it or hate it, the Fantome z-stem, squiggle, squiggly glass (non MS paint version) or whatever you want to call it is one of the single most talked about and rare pieces of Fantome specific glassware due to its tainted history of being made one time, years ago without Dany’s approval and subsequent request for destruction.

I used it for awhile but have since hung it up in the retired cabinet. I dont enjoy using it anymore because I know Dany gets upset when he sees it and he does not like all the questions/requests he gets for it every time a picture appears on social media.

7. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

I would go further and say that the z-stem is one of the most fascinating craft beer cultural artifacts. The only thing I think would be cooler would be a "Yellow Bus" bottle signed by MikesGroove.

8. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Looking forward to contributing to this thread. On the verge of a purge but will be keeping some of the finer "whales".
    Mostly old school DDC stuff and things I've picked up in travels as a souvenir.

9. CheapBeerBuzz

CheapBeerBuzz

So post one already!!! Kidding, looking forward to seeing some of those.

drinkypoo likes this.
  10. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

You're kinda burying the lede on our boy Treebs. He has arguably the best New Glarus glassware collection of all time ever.

11. yeahnatenelson

yeahnatenelson

A good friend of mine's now-wife went to UVM and she would often go to the Alchemist pub. On a trip to visit her he went and got me one of these glasses. About a week or two later the pub was destroyed by Tropical Storm Irene.

And then a couple years after that my roommate broke it in the sink. :(

12. Lutter

Lutter

[​IMG]

BACK
    [​IMG]

Can you even imagine Jester King selling pint glasses nowadays? They had these glasses for just a few months after the taproom opened (when they switched to the gold leaf snifter). For $10 they came with 3 pours (likely Wytchmaker, Black Metal, and Commercial Suicide) and a tour.

13. KevSal

KevSal

When Madame Rose was first released in 22oz, they also released an awesome Madame Rose Chalice, i just spent 20 min trying to find a picture. that was one that got away

kevanb, CheapBeerBuzz and Gonzoillini like this.
  14. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple of my fav pieces.

15. kevanb

kevanb

16. iong516

iong516

Mmm, script tumbler...

17. Saind

Saind

What's the story behind the Fantome glass? I've seen it around but never heard the story

quirkzoo likes this.
  18. Compton25

Compton25

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. quirkzoo

quirkzoo

It was produced by a liquor store or bar (I don’t know which one) for an event (I don’t know the exact date but I would guess it was circa 2009). It was produced without dany’s approval and he asked the business to not sell anymore, destroy the unsold glasses and generally forget they ever existed. They became very rare and very in demand. The one stakem showed is the only one I am aware of in the “wild” as the only other photographic evidence is a single photo that got reposted as nauseum in 2010/2011 in the BA ISO boards.

20. iong516

iong516

Doesn't dontdrinkbeer have one? Or maybe I've just seen it referenced on his page forever ago...