Whatcom/Skagit news thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesusTom!

Reaction score
Beeringham, WA, USA, North America, Earth
Hi all, I thought I would start a thread on beer news for the North end. Some of you may recognize me from BA, where I try to keep you updated with the Bellingham info.

To start with, Boundary Bay is doing a new series of beers called the Galbraith Series. The series is named after local mountain biking spot Galbraith Mountain. All the beers will be named after trails on Galby (as the cool kids call it), the first release was Cedar Dust IPA, vastly different from their standard IPA, even using a yeast they got from Sierra Nevada. The second beer is Lost Giants Imperial CDA. Big and roasty, with an ABV of 9.5%. Next up will be a Saison, probably around the time of Belgian fest.

Chuckanut has started bottling, for now only available at the brewery, and a couple of spots here in Hamsterland. They'll gradually get into distro as they used to using the bottler.

They bought a bottler, so they're kinda working on getting used to it, which is why the bottles aren't getting much reach just yet. Also, Kulshan will be doing (has done at least 1) canning of Bastard Kat IPA, but I don't think much got South of Skagit.

Kulshan has a new beer, Small Beer, on tap right now. It's a second runnings brew, made with the grain from their Barleywine (which will be released at the end of the year). If you're not making it over to Strangebrew, BB is putting both of their Strangebrew beers on tap today, a Blueberry version of the Scotch Ale, and a Thai IPA, I'll let ya know how they taste after I try them. C-nut now has bottles of Pilsner, Kolsch, Strong Ale, and Rauch Bier out now. Strong and Rauch are only at the brewery. The others are in limited release around Bellingham.

Been pretty quiet up here, but I've got a couple tidbits. Aslan has started hiring, and is looking at a mid April opening. Wander is coming along nicely, and I suspect they'll be ready late spring (just a WAG on my part, haven't talked to them). If you're not aware, the last Saturday of April is the annual April Brews Day fest, a fund-raiser for the Max Higbee Center. It's a good weekend to visit the 'Ham, check out the breweries/bars, and support a great cause. Pro tip, it gets full, so spring for the VIP tix, you get an extra hour. http://www.maxhigbee.org/april-brews-day.html

Rumor (and it's just a rumor, I'll try to get some facts) is that Wander has started brewing test batches on its new system. Boundary Bay will be releasing #4 in the Galbraith Series, Wonderland Strong Belgian Golden, in a few days. They have a few partial kegs of infused beers left over from a recent brewers dinner to kill off, then it goes on, probably the next few days sometime.

A couple of tidbits from BB, three new Triple batch fermenters are being loaded into the brewery as I type this, and the new Wonderland BSG will be going on tap today, as well as being poured at Cask fest this weekend. Wander hasn't started test brewing, but has started testing their steam system, and will be brewing soon.

Both Wander and Aslan had FB posts today featuring the fact that they are now brewing. Wander has 3 brews in the fermenter already. Looking forward to it. And, BB now has Galbraith #4 on tap, Wonderland Belgian Strong Golden. Very tasty, and hides it's 8.5ABV very well.

And Aslan Red is now out at a couple of accounts. Had one yesterday. Listed as a red ale, but the bartender said that they were aiming more at being a Red IPA. They should be releasing a brew about every week for the next few weeks.

Aslan has several brews out now, they had a Brewers Night at a local bar featuring 5 beers a few nights ago. Wander has at least 2 beers out, an unfiltered Belgian Blonde and a Baltic Porter, called Global Mutt, both very good. Boundary will be releasing the latest Galbraith series brew, a ISA, probably within the next week. Kulshan has a limited release IPA, Last Resort, out. It's a fund-raiser for a helicopter rescue group. North Fork has (maybe had by now) a whiskey barrel version of Son of Frog Barleywine on tap when I was out there last week. They also brewed a fresh batch of the Berlinerweisse they first brewed last summer.

A couple of quick tidbits this week. First up is the hint of another new brewery, Gruff Brewing. Location is on Maple St., literally at the end of the alley behind Boundary Bay. From what I've heard, it'll be a 2 bbl system. Speaking of BB, their latest release is a Session IPA called Safety Break. Latest in the Galbraith Series, it's 4.5abv, and below the 10ppm threshold for Celiacs. It uses Columbus, Centennial, and NZ Pacific Gem hops. I'll try one later today, and let ya know how it is.

Last edited:
Wander Brewing opened their Brew Hall over the weekend. They had 7 brews on tap, but plenty more taps waiting for the beer to be ready. Good looking room, just a small barrier separating from the brew deck, 4 indoor bike hooks, with plenty of bike parking outside. Kid and dog friendly.

The guys up at Aslan are coming along with their restaurant, hoping to be open in the next couple of weeks.

Finally hit Aslan yesterday. Wanted to try the food, but had eaten earlier, and they don't really have any snack type items on the menu right now. The space is decent, lots of glass, an outdoor seating area, and an upstairs loft-type space. I tried a couple new beers, and found their ImpIPA to be solidly decent, the best beer I've from them so far. They've been busy since opening, so that means they're moving beer, which should help their beer improve, as they dial things in.

Wander is releasing their newest beer, Ramble On Roggenbier, today. Kulshan has a couple of new lagers out; Ice, their take on an AAL, and Sunnyland (named for the neighborhood they're located in) Pale Lager, both pretty tasty. And finally, Boundary Bay has their 5,000th brew in the fermenters, an Imperial Porter, that has yet to be named, and will be released in few weeks.

6 Packs of Bastard Kat cans are now available around "The City of Subdued Excitement", I don't think they'll be getting very far away, so grab 'em if you see 'em. Boundary just ( and I mean I had the first one out of the tap a few minutes ago) Galbraith #6, Whoopsie Whoodle Vienna Lager. I'm already on my second. And, the Bellingham Beer Week collaboration beer was brewed at BB earlier today, a double wheat, that each brewery will do their own additions to when they receive kegs. Wander and Aslan are releasing more brews, and both places seem to be getting lots of foot traffic.

Tip of the cap to you, sir. I'm impressed with your regular updates in this thread, and I hope I cover Bend half as well as you cover Bellingham.
Agreed, I appreciate the updates from back home. It also keeps my mom plenty busy with getting some of these releases to mule down to PDX!

Swung by Wander with some friends a couple nites ago, and they're releasing new brews pretty regularly. The latest is a nice Saison, with crisp, dry finish, I liked it a lot. Haven't Been in Aslan lately, but their beers seem to be coming around a bit, at least the last couple of times I've tried 'em. The Copper Hog has a keg of Whiskey Barrel aged Trumpeter Stout on tap the last few days, and the stuff is ridiculously good. I think I've had 10 since Sunday. The brewery is probably a better bet, a must try if you happen to see it.

Yeah, that was a loooooot of checkins for the BA Trumpeter. I kept seeing the beer on Untappd and thought, " Oh, somebody else must have found that beer too." But no, it was just you, over and over. :)

Anyone in B'ham talking about doing a fresh hop beer?

Yeah, that was a loooooot of checkins for the BA Trumpeter. I kept seeing the beer on Untappd and thought, " Oh, somebody else must have found that beer too." But no, it was just you, over and over. :)

Anyone in B'ham talking about doing a fresh hop beer?
Both Kulshan and BB have done them in the past, usually brewery only. Kulshan has folks that live in their neighborhood bring in whatever hops they've got growing around, and aren't going to use themselves, and toss 'em all in. Ya never know quite what you're going to get. BB does one with the hops that grow on the fence in front of the brewery. I don't know if Wander or Aslan have any plans, but I'll ask next time I swing by.

Oh, and BB just put on a 5X Hopped Mosaic Single hop pale. I'll try one later.

Well, things been a bit slow up here, but a couple of tidbits. Bellingham Beer Week is about a month out, Sept 12-21,and there are plenty of events going on. The collab brew, a Kellerweisse, was suposed to be canned this week, but the labels didn't come in, so it will be canned next week.http://bellinghambeerweek.com/ . Clearly I'm biased, but I think BBW would be a great time for some of you to visit the City of Subdued Excitement, and check out our beer scene.

Wander keeps releasing new brews at a pretty steady rate, and they're all pretty good. Chuckanuts head brewer, Bryan Cardwell, just got back from a 6-month brewing school in Germany, and is looking forward to putting his new skills to work. Boundary Bay will be releasing Traverse Ale, a beer they make for the Bellingham Traverse race every year, within the next week or so. The 2 new breweries in the pipeline, Stone's Throw and Gruff, are working through the maze of permits and paperwork.

The BBW collab brew, a Kellerweisse, is out in cans, and on tap. Some of the kegs may make it south, but I don't have any certainty about that. Stone's Throw got approved for financing from their bank this week, now it's trying to please the city. Gruff is making steady progress in their space. Haven't been in Kulshan much lately, but they are doing a fresh hop brew, depending on what hops they can get. On a side note, Kulshan had to change the name of their Imperial IPA. Double Brother is no more, as there is a Seattle brewery that makes a beer that uses the word Brother. Double Brother is now known as Bull of the Woods (a logging term): http://www.kulshanbrewery.com/beer-staging/double-brother-double-ipa/

The brewer at North Fork just posted on his personal FB page a few minutes ago, pictures of a Sour Red Ale going into red wine barrels for some aging. NF has had a nice little sour series going on this summer. I haven't gotten to try as many as I would have liked, but the couple I did try were very good.

Last edited:
Any more info on the other BBW beers? What kind of berries from Barbie's were used in the 10 Barrel beer? Still waiting on another beer with a Bend tie-in too, right?

Any more info on the other BBW beers? What kind of berries from Barbie's were used in the 10 Barrel beer? Still waiting on another beer with a Bend tie-in too, right?
I know Fremont is making one, and Wander is doing the Bend collab. IIRC, there are 10-12 BBW brews this year. I'll try to swing by Wander and see if they're OK with me spilling the beans yet. Might not be today though, as I'm volunteering at our local Bacon Fest this afternoon. Yes, there's a beer garden. Boundary Bay is pouring a bacon-infused version of their Scotch Ale, through a Randall filled with bacon. Yes, I will be drinking it.

Wander released their latest brew, a collab with Reubens, last week. It's an old Dutch style called Koyt, and it's a damn tasty brew. They will also be releasing a Tripel during Bellingham Beer Week, which starts Friday.

Well, I've been slacking here. I think I got distracted during BBW and got off the rails. I'll try to do better.

Kulshan had to change the name of their Double Brother ImpIPA after a request from Fremont. Boundary Bay has their annual Winter beer, Cabin Fever, out now. Chuckanut just released a collab with Gordon Biersch Seattle called Schankbier, a "Lite beer with flavor". I drank 3 liters and a couple of pints at the release party. Solid beer. North Fork is still playing around with various small batch sours and barrel aged stuff. Wander continues to release new brews, the latest being a 3.5% "Table beer" called Petite Monk. And Aslan is making improvements to their beers and processes.

That's a quick recap, Cheers all!

A couple recent things: Aslan has a new IPA, Batch 15, out, and it's nicely tasty. Combined with a tweaking of the recipe for their standard stout (which I'm spacing on the name of), that now has a much roastier flavor, things are looking up for them. Wander will be releasing their first bottles today (12/7/14) at Noon. Their tasty Baltic Porter, Global Mutt, will probably stay mostly local, but some might get out into the world. And finally, Kulshan has released Coked and Caged 750s of Russian Imperial Stout, aged 10 months in Westland Single Malt Oak barrels. $25, some local (North Sound) bottle shops, and maybe some shops in Seatthole.

A couple new things: Stone's Throw brewing received their brew equipment last week, now they're waiting for permits from the city so they can pour some concrete. They're looking to have beer out by the time of the April Brews Day fest at the end of April. BTW, they are building their brewery in their backyard, and will be using 3-20ft, and one 40ft shipping container as a brewhouse. And turning their garage into their tasting room. They'll have a deck for outside seating, and there are many restaurants in their neighborhood, so you'll be able to bring in a variety of whatever trips your trigger.

And, the Fourth Corner is getting a wild/sour/farmhouse brewery. Farmstrong hope to have beer available in the late spring/early summer time frame, and is owned by the owner of Skagit River Brewery.

Back