What's Brewing?: April '19 edition

Discussion in 'Brewing & Beer Knowledge' started by smithj2154, Apr 6, 2019.

1. smithj2154

smithj2154

Giving a go at a mango hopsicle IPA. Throwing a lot against the wall and seeing if it works. OG 1.062 added 1oz each of citra and azacca into the carboy as I pitched to see if I get any biotransformation working. Will do my normal dry hop once fermentation slows, then transfer onto 3lbs of mango along with .5lb lactose and some vanilla bean paste I found on Amazon.

2. SirDickButts

SirDickButts

3. axeman9182

axeman9182

Yesterday I brewed a batch of pils using American Noble Citra and Mosaic, and today I'm going to try my hand at an orange creamsicle mild. Going to add zest from 5 oranges near flameout and then add a couple vanilla beans in primary.

4. smithj2154

smithj2154

Are these in some way different? Or are you just poking fun at their ubiquitous use lately?

What does your grain bill and ABV look like? Would like to hear your impressions once it's done.

5. axeman9182

axeman9182

For the former it's a new hop product they were giving out at NHC last year. American Noble is the other half of what's produced when regular hops get turned into lupulin powder/cryo hops. So they're Citra and Mosaic, but the AAs are below 3% and it's a much milder flavor impact.

The mild should come in somewhere around 3.5-4%. I decided to simplify the malt bill a little from previous batches.

6.5lbs Maris Otter
    1lb Flaked Barley
    1lb C90
    1/2lb Biscuit
    1/2lb Pale Chocolate

6. smithj2154

smithj2154

Wow! I don't think I'd heard of the Noble thing. The hop farmers are really maximizing each product. I am intrigued though, guess I need to burn through some of my existing hop stash so I can start ordering new stuff.

Your mild looks nice!

7. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus

NE DIPA

10 lbs. Maris Otter
    4 lbs. Red Wheat

Single infusion mash @ 152F for an hour

2 lbs. of sugar added to the first gallon of run-off then reduced by half. Cooled and added directly to fermenter

1 hour boil without hops for protein coagulation and concentration

Cool to 180F and add 7 oz. Tahoma, 4 oz. Cluster, and 4 oz. Legacy

Cool to ambient and pitch sachet of Munton's Ale Yeast

Two 2-day dry hops with 1 oz. each of the hops above

Pitched around 6 pm or so last night and blowoff was pretty strong this morning. Smells pretty damned good for using hops that I've never used before.

liquiddegenerate and smithj2154 like this.
  8. smithj2154

smithj2154

This is a very interesting process. Did you adapt it from a Pro brewery or a homebrew blogger?

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  9. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus

Can't say that it came from one place, but there was definitely some blog reading involved.

smithj2154 likes this.
  10. rcubed

rcubed

Checked the quad I brewed last month and it's sitting at 11%. Dried out to 1.014 which is lower than I expected. Going to need some time to age for sure but I like where it's at now.

smithj2154 likes this.
  11. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus

Recipe in last month's thread?

12. rcubed

rcubed

I don't think I posted the recipe but I used Imperial's Precious yeast with the D-180 candi syrup. The rest of the grist was 16 lbs. of pilsner malt, 2 lbs. Cara Vienna, 1 lb. Carapils, and 0.2 lb. Special B. Also added a 1 lb of corn sugar. Mashed at 148F. In the past I used WLP430 Abbey IV Ale for this beer.

smithj2154 and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  13. JCastle

JCastle

I'm not using them until 2 weeks from now but just got some new Bootleg Biology stuff. Gonna brew a dry-hopped pilsner with the Oslo culture, a Kveik IPA with Aurora, and a farmhouse wit with the Mad Fermentationist Blend.

14. anteater

anteater

Brewed the 5th iteration of my west coast IPA over the weekend with some small tweaks - added a bit of Chinook on top of the CTZ, Citra and Centennial and upped the IBU's a bit.

Kegged my wild gruit which is tasting awesome, thanks to dimensionx for the recipe!

Kegged my Citra/Mosaic/Idaho 7 NEIPA

Tasted my 17.3% bourbon/oak aged barleywine for the first time and its intense but I actually really enjoy it. It reminds me of the Bruery anniversary ales a bit, with more alcohol presense.

meatst1ck, dimensionx, sfsea and 6 others like this.
  15. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus

Just bottled this yesterday. Let the second DH go 5 days so the beer could finish fermenting. Smelled great. Will post a review once it's carbonated and conditioned.

16. smithj2154

smithj2154

[​IMG]
    Transferred the IPA onto the adjuncts today, mango not pictured. Nailed my FG 1.012! Tasted solid on its own may have to rebrew without the adjuncts next time.

anteater likes this.