What’s Brewing?: April 2018

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

More Betterness

Reaction score
Can’t believe it took 20 days to start this one!

After years of brewing finally giving my first lager a go. 10 gallons of Czech Pils with Weyermann Pils, a splash of Munich, Acid Malt, all Saaz, and WLP830. Starting with all distilled and adding only CaCl to about 50 ppm Ca.

Any tried and true fermentation schedules for you guys or any other tips? Going to start at 50 degrees and ramp a few degrees every few days until fermented out followed by a diacetyl rest at 65. Then lagering until I can’t wait any longer.

Rebrewed my first homebrew attempt: a bourbon county clone, only just focusing on the base imperial stout this time around. Trying to see if I can get an imperial stout in 10 days (grain to bottle), if I could hold temps higher I'm sure it would be even less. Probably gonna write up a post about it, so I'll link to that when I'm all done. If you don't mind the esters (these are more stone fruit and figgy), kveik strains are all I'd brew with.

Last edited:
I miscalculated how little free time I would have to brew when I ordered a bunch of yeast from TYB (haze daze, tyb sour blend x2, voss kviek, a few different single strain brett brux) so I'm kind of in a bind to use it up. This weekend I'm going to brew a 10 gallon batch of IPA and split between London III and the haze daze blend. If I can squeeze it in on Sunday, I want to brew a 10 gallon batch of the golden sour that I did last April, but this time do a step mash to get a more starchy wort to pitch the TYB sour blend into.

TRUTH. Have you tried HotHead (Stranda), it's relatively clean slightly bready though.
Co-workers have a plan to do a split batch between Stranda, Voss, Hornindal, and Stordal. Kinda excited for that one, but we have to drink through their first attempt at a Brut IPA before we can free up space.

Trying to get closer to a good double IPA recipe so I brewed up two attempts at recreating my favorites.

Heady inspired IPA
hops: hopshot, columbus, apollo, centennial, amarillo, simcoe
grain: GW pale ale malt, white wheat, crystal 10
yeast: Barbarian

Sticky Hands inspired IPA
hops: hopshot, columbus, apollo, centennial, amarillo, citra, mosaic
grain: GW 2 row, Mecca Lamonta, white wheat, carafoam
yeast: WY1056

Cranberry Gose like beer came out really well. I might boost the cranberry juice up next time.

100% Pils @ 1.045
Hot Head, Laedral, Pedio P (bootleg), Lacto P, **** ton of bretts
Lakewood Pure Cranberry, 20oz in a 3 gallon keg

Naturally conditioned. I just subtracted the sugar from the nutrition info from the total sugar amount.

So I finally bottled a wild saison, it's been in the carboy for 9 months. Has a touch of acetic my other one didn't have which worried me at first, but I cracked one open last night to see how it was and it's quite nice. Funny how that **** worked out.

Here's a cross post of the pellicle it had.

BQdJHwc.jpg

brewed yesterday for the first time in months, first crack at an oatmeal stout. used maybe too much oats (~15% of total mash bill) and wasn’t very efficient (hit 1.074 was aiming for 1.084) so we’ll see what happens. thinking about dumping some cold brew into half of the batch at bottling.

brewed yesterday for the first time in months, first crack at an oatmeal stout. used maybe too much oats (~15% of total mash bill) and wasn’t very efficient (hit 1.074 was aiming for 1.084) so we’ll see what happens. thinking about dumping some cold brew into half of the batch at bottling.

dry. bean. that. oatmeal. stout!

Got my hands on TYB House Sour Blend, ended up tossing in some WY3726 and some 3F/Tilquin dregs all in primary along with it as well, excited to see how this one turns out!

Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 3.5 gallons
Boil Size: 5 gallons
Efficiency: 74%

OG: 1.056
IBU: 7.54
SRM: 4.49

FERMENTABLES:
4.29 lb - American - Pilsner (67%)
1.2 lb - American - White Wheat (20%)
0.19 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt (3%)
0.72 lb - Flaked Oats (10%)

HOPS:
0.3 oz - East Kent Goldings, AA: 4.6, 60 min

Infusion Mash @158F for 90 min

YEAST:
WY3726 Farmhouse
TYB House Sour Blend
3F/Tilquin dregs

WATER PROFILE:
Ca2: 53
Mg2: 5
Na: 31
Cl: 99
SO4: 79
mash pH: 5.25

Notes/Thoughts:
-Ended up steeping some additional flaked oats pre-boil at ~170F for a few min for unconverted starches for the brett/bugs, not sure if it really does anything (although I did overshoot my OG goal of 1.050 a bit, so perhaps that played a role lol).

-Started my mash at 157.5F, and 90 min later was sitting at about 150.5F (Kettle wrapped in thick blankets and towels). Curious to see how fermentable the wort ends up being, but I'm glad to see some activity starting only 12 hours later.

Probably gonna write up a post about it, so I'll link to that when I'm all done. If you don't mind the esters (these are more stone fruit and figgy), kveik strains are all I'd brew with.

Finally did that write up. Done in 4 days. Also with the kveik split batch (just a basic pilsner base and classic hops), the Stordal was the clear winner, but it didn't finish out the same so the assumption is the sweeter body played nicer with the hops. Second was Hornindal, then Stranda, with Voss in last.

Back