What's brewing August 2016

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super annoyed that due to some repairs to the garage I'm temporarily out of brewing commission. Hopefully it all gets squared away soon so I can knock out a couple beers and have them kegged and ready for the first Sunday of the NFL season.

Pumpkin barleywine sounds ****ing awesome
1379307567504_zps68c2ffb4.gif

Kegged up some Citra/Mosaic/Simcoe/Columbus NEIPA just now. Also popped a bottle of citra dry hopped kombucha that I'm really digging. First time I tried this I used 1oz/gal and it was so hoppy it was absolutely undrinkable (didn't know that was a thing). Used 0.5oz/gal this time which I think might be the sweet spot

20160805_100643_zps4i7rvjht.jpg

Brewing up a NE IPA experiment. Split into two fermenters one with 1056, one with 1318.

IfPex5d.jpg

My efficiency is way up, not sure if it is because I used RO water and built up the water profile from scratch or that my batch sparge was a little hotter than usual (stabilized at 175F). I know that the common knowledge is that tannins can be extracted above 170F but on my first batch I boiled the steeping grains in the kettle for the entire 60 minutes and had some fairly knowledgable brewers try the beer and no one detected any tannins.

Going to try and brew a beer close to Hop Savant in two weekends.
36% Citra, 36% Mosaic, and 28% Simcoe. Thinking of dry hopping with Cascade or Centennial.

I'm usually pretty carefree (careless) when it comes to taking notes and pitching cultures, I've been just siphoning old wort into new wort for a while and it's been working well. This time I'm going to take good notes and build up the culture for a week before brewing. I still might build it up from dregs and my currently fermenting beer though, it's got dirty dozen + crooked stave dregs. I really hate having to boil hops on my little stove but I'm going to suck it up and deal with it this time.

Going to try and brew a beer close to Hop Savant in two weekends.
36% Citra, 36% Mosaic, and 28% Simcoe. Thinking of dry hopping with Cascade or Centennial.

I'm usually pretty carefree (careless) when it comes to taking notes and pitching cultures, I've been just siphoning old wort into new wort for a while and it's been working well. This time I'm going to take good notes and build up the culture for a week before brewing. I still might build it up from dregs and my currently fermenting beer though, it's got dirty dozen + crooked stave dregs. I really hate having to boil hops on my little stove but I'm going to suck it up and deal with it this time.
Give yourself more than a week to build up a healthy pitch from dregs. More like 2 1/2 weeks to step it up twice.

Did a yellow rose inspired all mosaic pale ale for a fishing trip in september. Its sitting in my chest freezer at 66 for the first 5 days, then free rise to 72 until it hits terminal. will get a 4.5oz dryhop before kegging her.
2016-08-08%2012.24.44_zpstwhiuov2.png

yeah. im gonna need some of this....

PS: come get these bottles of sour saison quick, before i kill it all. **** is drinking superb.

yeah. im gonna need some of this....

PS: come get these bottles of sour saison quick, before i kill it all. **** is drinking superb.

I'm going to skip bottling on this all together and just lug the keg and an ice bucket to the bay. I'll have to pull a couple bottles of the keg for you before I leave.

There's also an extra gal. and a half that didn't fit in the carboy so it went in a jug filled with built up JK dregs and high hopes.

Ramping up for my biggest brew yet this Saturday. A big English Barleywine, 41lb grist. Picking up an oxygenation kit today. Will be putting the wort on to the WY1968 yeast cake from the IPA I brewed 2 weeks ago. Fermentation should be pretty volcanic.

Fingers crossed that I hit the projected OG(1.131) or at least close, will have extract on standby in case.

Ramping up for my biggest brew yet this Saturday. A big English Barleywine, 41lb grist. Picking up an oxygenation kit today. Will be putting the wort on to the WY1968 yeast cake from the IPA I brewed 2 weeks ago. Fermentation should be pretty volcanic.

Fingers crossed that I hit the projected OG(1.131) or at least close, will have extract on standby in case.

Whats you grist look like? Going for the long boil? I always have a hard time finding english barleywine recipes for some reason.

Whats you grist look like? Going for the long boil? I always have a hard time finding english barleywine recipes for some reason.

90 min boil, may change depending on how the mash goes. Going pull a gallon of first runnings and boil it separately down to quart then add it back to the main boil to get some caramelized flavor.

I pieced together this recipe based loosely off of Fremont Abominable Ale. I probably got too cute with the specialty grains but it is already milled so no turning back now.

Haven't brewed in like a month (an eternity for me), getting back on the horse this weekend. Plan is to do a Mild this weekend, farmhouse pale w/ Mandarina Bavaria next weekend, and an ESB the following weekend, and then have them all kegged and carbed in time for the first Sunday of the NFL season.

If I can get a handle on my work for the week I plan on working from home one day and brewing a small test batch of a sour pale ale. I'm chasing brewing something akin to FW Agrestic, not one of those foul kettle soured pale ales that are excessively sour and bitter.

Close. It was pretty near the consistency of Mrs Butterworth's.
Did you say what you're trying to ferment this with? I haven't done anything quite that high, but have gotten close and would suggest some extra oxygen during the lag phase or right after and trying to get some CO2 out of solution towards the end to help fermentation finish well.

Did you say what you're trying to ferment this with? I haven't done anything quite that high, but have gotten close and would suggest some extra oxygen during the lag phase or right after and trying to get some CO2 out of solution towards the end to help fermentation finish well.

Chilled wort went right on to a fresh yeast cake of WY1968 from a 1.050 IPA. I hit it with 60+ seconds of pure O2. It started slower than I thought it would but it is rocking now and is down to 1.102 so far. I would be thrilled if the 1968 can get it down to between 1.030 - 1.040 but if not I will pitch some WLP099 or the like.

Thanks for the heads up on the lag phase O2, I probably wouldn't have done that otherwise.

Chilled wort went right on to a fresh yeast cake of WY1968 from a 1.050 IPA. I hit it with 60+ seconds of pure O2. It started slower than I thought it would but it is rocking now and is down to 1.102 so far. I would be thrilled if the 1968 can get it down to between 1.030 - 1.040 but if not I will pitch some WLP099 or the like.

Thanks for the heads up on the lag phase O2, I probably wouldn't have done that otherwise.
1068 doesn't have a huge alcohol tolerance, might be worthwhile to have another strain on hand for a secondary pitch to finish it out.

Bottled my New England pale ale today. The Citra, Galaxy, and Mosaic hops with WLP644 are pretty amazing. The yeast's pineapple and mango esters with the hops worked out so well. Would highly recommend experimenting with it. Can't wait for it to carb up!

I don't have much time this month but I need to get a brew in, likely next weekend as it's really the only time I have available. I'm thinking Single Hop Ariana Pale Ale.

Vogt52 644 is my next experiment. I've heard great things about it when used in conjunction with tropical citrus hops.

I don't have much time this month but I need to get a brew in, likely next weekend as it's really the only time I have available. I'm thinking Single Hop Ariana Pale Ale.

Vogt52 644 is my next experiment. I've heard great things about it when used in conjunction with tropical citrus hops.

644 is probably my new favorite yeast. Works great for Saisons and pale ales. The yeast character is so unique and fruity.

After looking into Ariana, I'd be careful with using it too early in your boil. Cohumulone level at 40% is a little high for my liking. Maybe try it in whirlpool and dry hop with one other hop? Just my 2 cents

644 is probably my new favorite yeast. Works great for Saisons and pale ales. The yeast character is so unique and fruity.

After looking into Ariana, I'd be careful with using it too early in your boil. Cohumulone level at 40% is a little high for my liking. Maybe try it in whirlpool and dry hop with one other hop? Just my 2 cents

My current recipe is Columbus FW then Ariana at 10 and 5 then Whirlpool and DH again with Ariana. Not technically "Single Hop" but you know.

Ive been thinking a lot lately about coming out of homebrewing retirement...

I got 2-3 lbs of hops I picked this weekend currently drying and im thinking about utilizing them in a couple different brews. First up would be a basic single malt pale ale with a melange of backyard hops. Then I want to do a 6% lactic saison with a heavy amount of dry/keg hopping.

However, I just dont see myself getting any time to brew before Labor Day which makes me sad and almost want to just offer all the hops to someone on here who can better utilize them in a more timely manner.

Back